Motorcycling.

That pic just makes me want my next bike even more. In the plan for this year is a dual sport, most likely a ktm 450. Basically a dirtbike with some lights and a second wheelset. The fun in the woods vs how fast I have to go really have fun on the street led to the ktm's over a DRZ or any of the street oriented super moto's. I want one bike to do it all, jack of all trades, but it has to come close to mastering at least one. ..

One thing about the KTMs. They're GREAT off road. They're easy to Dual sport. They need frequent oil changes. I went to my 640 from a 525 EXC. Following the manuals recommended interval had me changing the oil every 5-600 miles tops. It only carried .6L of crankcase oil if I remember correctly. My 640 goes 3000 plus miles between oil changes. The smaller bikes are legit race bikes. They come from the factory ready to race with the best parts already on them stock.If you can live with the maintenance, the KTMS Rock. If you don't need the newest bike on the block, look for a 450-525 with the older style (locknut and screw) valve system instead of the newer (bucket and shim) type. You can check and adjust valves with the locknut style in a hour, on the trail, with a screwdriver, a 10mm and an 8mm wrench. The newer ones and all of the Japanese bije have the bucket and shim style and require the head to be pulled to check and adjust the valves. HOURS... I believe they went to bucket and shim around 2006-2007.

Wow.

I rode my 525 exc with 17s on hwy 1 smr for 400 hours then blew it to shit.. rebuilt her and threw her in a dirt dress and have about 100 hours on it...

It's a better dirt bike than a street bike.. ..the xr650r is a brute tough on the street and brute rough on the dirt with that giant clutch....

I loved the 525 off road. Right up there with my 300 exc two stroke. On road though it was street legal dirt bike. The oil changes pushed me over the edge. Ideally I'll pick another two stroke for the woods and keep the 640 for the longer road sections and not-so-major off road stuff. That said, the 640 has climbed sections that my buddy's had to winch their 4x4 quads up. That was a good day...

The 640 is a euro beast. Larger oil capacity also...my 525 Flys through single track and contour lines kine a great horned owl through the trees...like a magic carpet ride
...crawls up anything. ..tractor factor......but I want a 2 stroke woods weapon.

I just rode a 2 stroke for the first time yz 125...that thing is crazy but absolutely nothing on low end stuck in the middle of the trail dead on a big hill climb. I hear the yz 250 is a beast.

When I hear people talk about any 2 stroke over a 300...I know it's some eighties or 70s nuclear 2 stroke monster....different times.

One thing about the KTMs. They're GREAT off road. They're easy to Dual sport. They need frequent oil changes. I went to my 640 from a 525 EXC. Following the manuals recommended interval had me changing the oil every 5-600 miles tops. It only carried .6L of crankcase oil if I remember correctly. My 640 goes 3000 plus miles between oil changes. The smaller bikes are legit race bikes. They come from the factory ready to race with the best parts already on them stock.If you can live with the maintenance, the KTMS Rock. If you don't need the newest bike on the block, look for a 450-525 with the older style (locknut and screw) valve system instead of the newer (bucket and shim) type. You can check and adjust valves with the locknut style in a hour, on the trail, with a screwdriver, a 10mm and an 8mm wrench. The newer ones and all of the Japanese bije have the bucket and shim style and require the head to be pulled to check and adjust the valves. HOURS... I believe they went to bucket and shim around 2006-2007.

Do the bucket and shim valves require less frequent adjustments? I didn't realize the oil change interval was that short, but with the tiny amount of oil that doesn't worry me. Thanks for the advice on the rest of it, and when they switched shim styles.

The 640 is a euro beast. Larger oil capacity also...my 525 Flys through single track and contour lines kine a great horned owl through the trees...like a magic carpet ride
...crawls up anything. ..tractor factor......but I want a 2 stroke woods weapon.

I just rode a 2 stroke for the first time yz 125...that thing is crazy but absolutely nothing on low end stuck in the middle of the trail dead on a big hill climb. I hear the yz 250 is a beast.

When I hear people talk about any 2 stroke over a 300...I know it's some eighties or 70s nuclear 2 stroke monster....different times.
You need to try a Ktm 300. It's got a nickname as a 3-stroke! More grunt than a two stroke and more power than a four stroke. You can lug it around low then twist that throttle and you're on a rocket. It's been the best woods bike for me so far. Minimal maintenance paired with power when and where you need it. I miss it.

The mighty 300!

I went back to Carnegie yesterday and had a blast this time I tried the yz 250....Bigger Beast...lots more low end grunt than the 125....It's all fun.

Here's a couple from today's sunday ride....

Husaberg 650....38 tooth sprocket.
2fe7308206136654d3a709f2b540c385.jpg

Little cattle dog rides shot gun on my friends BMW. .....the dog box is made from some freeway road sign.....

0de4e6fa2214665e5bd910a657b3cb1c.jpg

I got my 640 back in order last week and put a quick 60 miles on it. The e-start freewheel hub was shot and the one I ordered came with the one-way blocks BACKWARDS from the factory. Had to tear it down twice to find that gem. It IS nice hitting the button and have it fire. I rode down to the motorcycle club I raced Harescrambles with in the early 90s and talked to a good friend of mine. He'd sold me a 500 two stroke Ktm then bought it back from me back in 1995. I may be getting it back. He's having trouble with his legs and just can't kick it anymore.

You talk about a monster... 1988 KTM 500 exc... Two stroke.

Can't wait.

Dude. Any 2 stroke....but a 500....but a KTM 500! Burly.....too much power.

I'm doing an Enduro in the end of May....450 miles. ......Ukiah to Lost coast on fire roads and single track.....I'm riding my ktm 525 with the soft seat... Looking forward to Usal rd....

The 640 is a monster...great road thumper. LC4 motor I think. More oil....

My buddy does harescrambles...3 hour races bushwacking....

Deva, is that the sort of run where the bushes are doing the whacking??
:)

Today I ran the Jag up the Clackamas River on Hwy 224 to Ripplebrook and back. That beast is a ton of fun with the top down, sun shining, and the speedo in risky territory :evil:. Lots of bikes out in the nice weather...I shamed more than a few of them :D.

It was like smashing ants with a sledgehammer. Complete overkill. There is something about the moment that that powerband hits and it just flat out launches. There's nothing like it.

:|:

Attachments

• grey-gt500cr_002-970x546-c.jpg
    grey-gt500cr_002-970x546-c.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 30
  • grey-gt500cr_027-970x546-c.jpg
    grey-gt500cr_027-970x546-c.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 32
  • grey-gt500cr_017-970x546-c.jpg
    grey-gt500cr_017-970x546-c.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 30
Back