Mod shop near Ohio? Need work on ms460 and 200t

Do it yourself places originated in America, and you could maybe grab a hot dog on the way out. Where has that good ol' American spirit gone to?

Obviously one should do as they please, but messing up a saw is harder than you think, with a little care. It isn't just the improvement with doing a mod, there is a deeper understanding of the tool in your hand all those hours and days after. That is fun.

I've always said saw hop ups or just wrenching the things is not for everybody . Nor is photography ,fishing ,hot rod cars or ten thousand other interests .:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Anyone know about Walkerized saws?

Just got a quote back from them... Wondered how it might compare to the work timberwolf does?

Squisher?

Another stupid question:

Can someone explain the difference between Woods Mods, Walkerizing, and the TW Mods? Are they all basically the same? Is woods a guy or a process??

Thanks!

A woods mod is just a generic term for modifying a saw with the intent to produce more power, but not compromise it's utility as a working saw...one you can still expect to use in the "woods".

Damn good questions - I'd like to know the definitions, too.

Walkerized is just the builder's name - Walker.

A woods mod is just a generic term for modifying a saw with the intent to produce more power, but not compromise it's utility as a working saw...one you can still expect to use in the "woods".

Thanks. Anyone know how walkerized compares to TW ?

Or is it the same person?

Walkers saw shop is in British Columbia Canada .Yeah they run okay .I've had my hot little hands on a few.

The bottom line is there are many tuners it's just some people have their favorites .I could give you a list of a dozen but rather than argue about it I'll let those who own them tell you all about them .

I've had my hands on saws reworked from people from British Columbia clear to eastern Ont .They all seem to do good in just over the blocks .I have no idea what they'd do in a days work in the woods .Fact I've seen amatuers such as myself do work that equaled the pros --at least over the blocks ,ran them myself as a matter of fact .Then again ,on the job haven't a clue .

Like Al said, Walkers is a saw shop, they don't seem to get into the math as much, more just a polish job with a muffler mod and adjusted.
A "woods port" is designed for reliability, the durability of the stock saw, but flows better, retains less heat and has a lot more power. You can use it day in and day out for a work saw.
Above that is a "race port", much faster, but longevity is sacrificed for power. It could be a cylinder machined to have a removable head to adjust the squish and compression, run on methanol, nitro, alcohol, some even have small bottles of nitrous oxide for a boost.
You want a woods port, nothing more!

There is 2 walkers shops now. The son split off his dad's place and went out on his own. Here is the new one. I dont have a link for the dad's place. http://www.walkerpowerequipment.com/

I ran a walkers 460 (dads shop) back in 07 and it ran pretty darn good. Now they are just basic woods porting and pretty dang expensive IMO. I would choose TW over them IF you can get him to do it.

There is 2 walkers shops now. The son split off his dad's place and went out on his own. Here is the new one. I dont have a link for the dad's place. http://www.walkerpowerequipment.com/

I ran a walkers 460 (dads shop) back in 07 and it ran pretty darn good. Now they are just basic woods porting and pretty dang expensive IMO. I would choose TW over them IF you can get him to do it.

That right there is the key ! Brian seems to have disappeared from all the saw modding sites, I think he got tired of being "jumped on" for some of his ideas/opinions . I for one would surely appreciate his return !!

Steve

Most here summed it up as I would. Walker's are just down the road (aways like five or six hours lol) from me and I so far have sent all of my saws out east to be done. I would try and get ahold of TW if he's still doing it.

I've run a couple of Walkerized saws years ago and wasn't overly impressed, to be fair though they weren't brand new from Walker, they were being worked in the woods and who knows how they had been treated.

Hey, I'm not too far away from ya. Work for Yarnell Tree in Mantua. I see you work in Shaker, probably know Woodland Tree Service. Went to school with their knuckleboom op.

Anyway, Eric Copsey is in central Ohio and does a nice job on porting saws. He just did a 460 and got a 40% increase out of it if I remember correctly. Got a buddy sending off a 394xp to him soon. Treeslinger and Timberwolf have good reputations too.

I have a TW262xp topend. Revs out good, but is lacking some torque. I'm thinking it is time for a new piston.

I cant recommend eric copsey. I took a 372 racesaw up to him (like I did many times being only 40mins away from me) to have a new impulse nipple put in the cylinder with screw in type instead of press in that kept blowing out. I couldnt figure out why he didnt just call and tell me my saw was ready when it came in the mail. After running the saw and noticing it wasnt as fast as before I took it up. I got looking at the saw and I noticed he had removed my 2 piece head and put a different head on my saw without asking.

I no longer had him do anymore work for me from that point on and cut all ties with someone I could no longer trust with my saws.

Is that you Andrew or the guy you work with? 8)

I bought a low hour 372xp from Eric Copsey many years ago. It ran about 3 hours before spitting the piston ring out the exhaust. Eric refused to do anything about it and by the time I had it fixed, I had spent more than buying a brand new saw. That was my only dealings with him and there will not be any more.

Hey Kevin, Andrew here. Want some different views on tree work besides AS.

Well, that sucks to hear that about Eric. Always heard positive things besides some stuff to do with Snelling and the Racesaw days. He's always been cordial with me and offered help when needed. Plus, I've sold a few things to him in the past without a hitch.

I do know there are a lot of happy customers of his work like Jack Walker and many others. I always enjoy cutting with his saws at GTG, as they have great powerbands and are still fast.

The thing with guys that do port work is someone always cuts them down, whether a unfair business deal or the saws are "slow". I think that contributes to why a lot of guys do their own port work.

Welcome to the House, Greatoutdoors!

Thanks Man! Wanna do some learning over here and share knowledge when I can. AS is the greatest place for learning about tree work. I'm surrounded by old school climbers at my work, so I would like to blend a little new school knowledge into my skills.

Where's my manners? Welcome, Andrew.

And my opinion of Eric Copsey is based on an event from about 10 years ago. Maybe it was just a fluke. He sure didn't like it when I mentioned it on Racesaws forum though. Whatever.

Where's my manners? Welcome, Andrew.

And my opinion of Eric Copsey is based on an event from about 10 years ago. Maybe it was just a fluke. He sure didn't like it when I mentioned it on Racesaws forum though. Whatever.

Ya, I don't blame ya for your opinion. You have no reason to make the stuff up.

I'm not defending Eric either, I just don't have a reason to say anything bad about him, because my dealings with him have all been good.

It's kinda like the chevy/ford thing. Someone gets screwed by ford on a vehicle and only drives chevy, well there is always that guy with the same story, but with opposite companies.

Well I contacted Walker, and great outdoors gave me Erics info. I tried to contact timberwolf, sent him a PM but no response. If anyone has his info I would give him a call...

Brian? Squisher?

Not just you Brian.

He built a solo 681 for a guy out in Calif that wasnt happy with it and had sent it back 2 times. Still wasnt happy with it and wanted him to send back a 3rd time. Guy finally had enough and said no he will eat it.
Later that week ec banned him from racesaws too to keep him quite I would guess.

Might be part of the reason he was FIRED and removed as racesaws admin. Racesaws will be starting up shortly with Cliff and Rick as owners still, but with all NEW admin people running it for them. Hopefully someone honest.

Back