Mod shop near Ohio? Need work on ms460 and 200t

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
I have a ms460 and a 200t i am considering putting a little oomph into. Both are relatively new and run perfect as of now.

Can anyone make a recommendation for someone near the Ohio area i can send/take it to?

Are there things i can do alone? I took the spark arrestor out of my 200t.

Warnings? Pointers? Advice?

That's about all you have to do to a 200T .I've got one of the very few souped 200's but I'm not so sure it's really neccessary for a work saw .Besides most trimmers would get annoyed having to gas them up every 15-20 minutes which is how much fuel they guzzle .Super bee loves gasoline .

I'm with Al on the 200...just pull the screen and make sure the tuning is on.

The 460, on the other hand, can be tweaked a good bit. Squisher has a hot one...ask him about who he had do the work, maybe.

That's about all that really needs done to the 200t, you can port it, but I haven't seen much in gains unless you go crazy, they you run into longevity issues.
LOTS of improvement to be had out of the 460 though! Timberwolf would be my suggestion for a builder, I think he's a member here, if not I can find a way to get you in touch with him if you like. Ed Heard is another good builder, but in Canada and it's a bear to ship in and out from the states to him. I know a few other builders on AS, but only a couple I'd recommend.
I'm certain you could do it yourself if you desired, a foredom off of ebay or a dremel, some good bits and a little time, little knowledge from the members here, and it could run like a raped ape.

Just as a word of caution a person better do a little research before you get to carving on a saw engine cylinder . I only do my own simpley because I enjoy doing it .If I started doing others it would be like a job and I already have a good job .Besides I made my self a promise years ago never to get caught up in the BS that goes along with being a so called builder .

This way I only have to please myself and also if it runs good or bad nobody but me can cuss the builder .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm certain you could do it yourself if you desired, a foredom off of ebay or a dremel, some good bits and a little time, little knowledge from the members here, and it could run like a raped ape.

I would like to learn more for sure.

When i search foredom on ebay about a million things comeup. What is it exactly?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html_nkw=...+fordom&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

As far as the muffler is that a DIY or do i buy this?
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=QA 11281 400616

Whats the deal with big bore cylinders? Again DIY or buy?
http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=BBN 046

Let me put it out there that i know as much about small engines as a 12 year old pigeon. Yeah that little, i mean i can start it, and turn it off right...

The saw is practically new, and it is nice as is. I would hate to ruin it @ close to $1000, i have probly only run 10 tanks of gas through it as i used it for side work through the later half of this season. As you may be able to tell from other posts/threads i like making things bigger and louder :) . + i am still in india and it is late and im bored & thinking of things to do.

Are the gains really that impressive. I run a 660Magnum at work regularly, how does the modded 460 compare to that? Will these modifications decrease engine life expectancy?

Thanks again to the experts out there!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Just as a word of caution a person better do a little research before you get to carving on a saw engine cylinder . I only do my own simpley because I enjoy doing it .If I started doing others it would be like a job and I already have a good job .Besides I made my self a promise years ago never to get caught up in the BS that goes along with being a so called builder .

This way I only have to please myself and also if it runs good or bad nobody but me can cuss the builder .

So as long as i didnt call you a builder you could help me ;) ? I live in Shaker Heights, and work out of Euclid, it looks like you live in the Bula from your pics but i could buy you a beer sometime if you anted to share some advice after i get it all figured out on here.

Do you know Chris Noce?

Never heard of him but I don't remember names well so that comes as no surprise .I have no idea what Bula is but it's opposite the side you live in .Where the land is flat and the oaks are still large only not as plentifull as they once were .

Al is no where near Cleveland. IMO Al is Central west Ohio.

About 60 miles from Indiana .Where the hoot owls romance the chickens and the wind picks up speed coming from the Hoosier .Picture a big corn field a hundred miles long and a hundred miles wide and the highest priced farm land in the state .You're pretty close .Not too far from what was the great black swamp .

Al's a good dude and is fun to drink beer, run saws and shoot the shit with in general.

I live 45mins from Al and about 1.5 from C, in the middle of a bean field.

I'm just screwing with you ,it's close to Lima .:lol:

As soon as I get the time and feel the urge I've got another 038 mag plus an 028 I'm going to tweak a tad .I'll put the results both on here and Kevins site when I get a round -to -it .

It isn't a big secret to tweak one to run better as a work saw .Now a racer might be another story but I've never built one so I don't know .

I have a big bore on my 046, built by an old AS member that wanted to see what he could do with it. I LOVE it! BUT, most think they get more power from the stock cylinder, and if you don't know what you are doing, use the right parts, do the right things etc. you will have a mess of a blown up saw on your hands! I don't recommend the BB kits for the uninitiated!
Here's an ebay search to get you on the right track with the Foredom, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...=foredom+flex+shaft&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Well I was going to suggest getting a less expensize saw to tinker with other that a thousand bucks worth of 460 . You look around a tad bit I'd bet for 75 bucks or so you could find a vertical cylinder half ways modern saw with a removable cylinder that has some life left in it .Might need some trivial thing .

As far as that 460 just a less restictive muffler will perk a lot of them up .You'll have to reset the carb is all so as not to run out lean . A muffler rework will get you the most gains for the least money .

There again you might be able to find an old 046 muffler at a dealer for pennys ,you never know .I wouldn't do a thing to that saw though if it's still under warrentee .You might find out you like it just the way it is .

I've had almost 20 saws ported in the last 8-10 years. No, I'm not going to grind on one myself and screw it up. I'd rather pay somebody with lots of experience and an impeccable reputation to get it right the first time, I'm not in the mood to experiment with my work saws. Al and Andy don't make a living with saws so it's no big deal for them if they don't get it right, they can tinker with it some more. I have a schedule to keep and jobs to do.

I agree with the other advice posted above about porting the 460 but not the 200T. The 200T is already just about as hot as it can get right out of the box (after you throw away the muffler screen/baffle).

Timberwolf has done all my porting work for the last few years. He's honorable, trustworthy and has an innate talent for squeezing lots of power out of chainsaw engines. He is in Canada so that involves shipping back and forth across the border but I've had no issues as long as I use the US Postal Service. UPS may be good in the States but if you ship across the border then they will rape you on customs fees, plus they don't have a very good reputation in Canada.

You can email him through his forum profile page or if that doesn't work I have his phone number around here somewhere. Shoot me a PM if you can't get hold of him and I'll dig up the number.

Stock a 460 with regular cover and only the factory pencil size exhaust outlet hole is a complete dog. Try opening the factory outlet to the size of deflector and bolt on a DP dual port cover. If the 460 muffler back has a cage drill it open or remove it altogether. Then adjust your carb setting richer on H side and check to see L and I is good or not. You never know that might make you happy for now.

Brian I havent seen or heard from TW in a long time. You?

No, I haven't, but I don't hang around any of the saw forums any more and he doesn't hang out on any Mustang forums. ;)

Havent seen him on any forums of any type for awhile. You might call and just say hey, just never know.

He was on Ed's site for a tad bit early on . I never joined once he shut the door so you had to be a member to see things I have no idea where got to .I think it was a couple years ago I talked with him on the phone .Smart cookie that guy .

B's right though I don't make a living with a saw ,the porting of same is just a hobby with me .You know it would suck if a guy like me overlooked something and somone else got it only to find out it isn't exactly right which is the main reason I won't do it .

You don't have to consider working on saws as being experimental. There are established guidelines for basic working mods...two cycle engines, if you want to research it. Essentially, if you have a reasonable level of dexterity, the tools, and can follow the dotted lines, you can do it. Beyond the basic level of modifications within prescribed parameters, may take it into the realm of being experimental. I think that pretty basic is what most guys want for a working saw; raise compression, porting and polishing back to close to stock numbers, improving flow with maybe some work on the piston. That can do a heck of a lot. Two days or less to do it.

Back