Mod shop near Ohio? Need work on ms460 and 200t

My Timberwolf 460 is the best mod I've had yet, and my first mod from him. I like Brian would highly recommend him.

I recommended him firstest:lol:!
No, I don't make my living with saws any more, unfortunately, but as Jay said, it's basic principles, an engine is an air pump, more in and easier out, = power! Pull the base gasket, check the "squish" for clearance with soft solder, and widen the ports about as much as you dare for loads of torque. Raising and lowering ports and transfers, that's an art form! I've changed intake and exhaust, cleaned up the transfers to flow, and have had good luck, but I don't feel there is that much gain in changing them, I've gotten a lot more gains just widening them.
I'm not saying you can or can't do it. The first thing I suggested was a builder, the first I suggested was TW, and I still see him on AS quite a bit, so he's around. But it's not the "black magic" many would have you believe it is.

Wrenching on big trucks isn't black magic either, but on more technical jobs I prefer paying somebody with the knowledge, expertise and tools to do the job right. I don't own any of the machining tools required, nor do I have any experience using them. Expecting me to mod a saw like an expert the first time is like expecting some homeowner to go buy a chainsaw and cut down that big oak in the back yard. There's lots of potential consequences if you're not familiar with machining work. I can turn a wrench and replace parts but I'm no machinist. That's a completely different skill set which I do not possess. And no, it's not 'easy' for all of us.

Good workmanship gets you far too, the ports being nicely shaped and cleaned up. Some jobs look like a chainsaw was ported with a chainsaw. :|: Lots of pics available showing good examples.

Well I agree it's not black magic hokus pokus or only three in the world can do it .

If you have the desire you'll figure a way but that's up to the individual . You don't start out on a thousand dollar saw though unless you have more dollars than sense .

Oh how they carry on though bragging how their blah blah blah saw runs so good and someone elses is a dog although they cut within one second of each in a series of three in 8 inch cants like that means something .You know I've looked high and low and so far I've never seen a square timber growing in the woods .

I wouldn't get in that rat race for all the tea in China .On the other hand I'm so bull headed and pridefull I wouldn't let someone else wrench my saws either .If I can't get-er-done ,it doesn't get done .Just a hands on kind a guy,so to speak .:)

It has to stop somewhere for me with the do everything myself. I do most all things myself but I don't want to fork around on a $1000 worksaw trying to figure things out. Yes I could probably realize some gains, but there is no way I'm going to build a 460 like TW did for me 1st time out of the gate. It's not rocket science no, but neither is cutting trees and people still pay me to do it.

I can fully understand and appriciate where you and B are coming from .

Everyone has their thing .I pay somebody to straighten out my freaking computer if it gets screwed up .The hardware portion I have no problem with ,the application of the software I do .Now it that SOB had a screw or bolt to adjust it no problem .The damned thing has a keyboard though .Different strokes ya know .

DO two things...
Buy what Gary said.. I did and it added some good power to both my 044 and 046.
After you buy the two port muffler... Call Timberwolf (as has already been stated by a couple of really happy members here that had work done) and get the porting done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys for all the advice. Im hearing what i needed to and what i probly knew already. Ill send timberwolf an email and if i dont hear back ill pm for his phone number. Will keep you guys updated.

NO NO NO, you guys probly save me over $1000!! Thanks so much. Depending on what timberwolf charges and the shipping costs, i might do the muffler myself and see how that is...

In all honesty its not a bad saw at all, the shit we use @ work is all dogged out with no compression so she is a beauty to me, my pride and joy in truth. (and as im still doing sidework for now probly the most expensive thing i own without wheels!)

The only unanswered question and maybe Squisher can answer this, is how does the TW460 (or similarly modded 460mag) compare to a stock 660Mag??

The 460 that he modded for me is a magnum so I'm not sure about the question. I'm not sure how it'd do against a stock 660mag as I have a 66muffler modded and a 660 with a full woods mod (porting/muffler). I call my 460mag a TW460 now as in Timberwolf460. It's super hot, and hasn't missed a beat so far. I have two other stock 46's(both mags) and there is no comparing it to the modded one.

I'm not one for timing cuts but it's brutally fast. We determined one day while working with another guy that it was outcutting his stock 660. It had a longer bar and I wasn't the one who had sharpened so none to scientific.

Basically it goes like this. Once you've had a saw modded you will never have any desire to run a stock saw ever again.

Can you give me an idea as to the cost of the TW mods... you sold it so far! I like the 460 as is vs the 660 for the weight to power, a big boost like your describing sounds great!

A new saw gives me two saws though Stephen... I mean i am the one that wants to improve it to begin with but if the cost is exorbitant i may not be able to justify it...

Most woods mods, what I think of as a working saw mod are all around the same price but yes I would never presume to speak for a builder. Prices only ever go up on everything.

For the amount it costs vs the increases in cutting speed, enjoyment of having a saw that rips, and I believe increased longevity if maintenance and monitoring are done correctly definetly outweigh the costs. Imo a modded saw will last longer than any of these new epa plugged up dogs due to the increased flow of hot exhaust gases away from the cylinder.

Face it they killed the old 066 when they came out with the 660 being a mere shadow of the former .For that and many others we have our friendly folks known as the chainsaw police or rather the EPA to thank .

Yup I was giddy when I bought my new 660 and then when it hit the wood I was like whoa what's wrong here? That saw in particular is gutless in stock trim.

Well now this is a no chit story .Last August I helped Tom a tad bit on the biggest ash trees I ever saw in my life ,over 60 inchs .I had the modded 038 Mag with a 32 and he had a stock 660 with a 36" .Buried in that big wood I was keepng up with him .In 24 inch stuff I was out running him .I never won a damned thing with that saw over the blocks and that thing should have never been able to do that on an old 066 .

Now ponder this that was a 20 some year old saw reworked by an amatuer .Think about a saw with a quarter more cubic inch 20 years newer done by a pro and that should answer the question of how a well modded 460 can be made to run .

Joel, Justin expressed exactly what I told him three years ago when I finally convinced him to get his new MS460 modded. I told him that it would ruin him and he would never want to run a stock saw ever again. You can see by his post above that I was right. :lol:

Back