Messed up bearings on chipper: VIDEO

Little late now but it looks like that part that you undid with the Allen screws should have come off first then the bearing itself. That part with the Allen screws looks like some kind of retainer to keep the bearing itself in place on the shaft . I am surprised to see that bearing and housing move as freely as it did when you tried to pry it off. I never had this problem with a chipper but that is what it looks like to me.

That bearing should no have failed after just 40 hours on a new machine unless it was installed totally dry at the factory which I doubt because most bearings have a grease coating applied to the rollers at the bearing manufacturer or are greased as part of the dealer prep before selling the machine. To me all this should be covered by the warranty PEROID.

I would use a different grease than that Marine grease. Not sure what we use without looking at the tubes, the grease we use either has molly in it or is a lithium No 2 type grease. I pick a grease that pumps good in the middle of winter when it is cold out. I don't think you have that problem though.

Nick I've had a lot of these expensive learning mistakes in my short run owning a business so I know how it feels! ONe thing I have found is that although it really sucks when you're going through it, it sure does give you a lot more insight into how to deal with similar problems when they arise down the road, which of course they always will!

Sounds like you're dealer does blow, the dealers in HI aren't any better either so I think it's a geographical thing for sure. I'm surprised you're having issues at all with such a new machine. Morbark in general has a pretty reliable reputation...

jp:D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Oscar stayed and watched the repair. Here's his report on how they did it...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1382134227.587513.jpg

They told me it was a straightforward repair.

Lemme just fire up my forklift...

love
nick

You've got a grcs you could lift it too. ;)

Nick, you're too nice man. They're boning you because you haven't barked at them yet. I'd call Morbark and link them to this thread too. They look really bad right now.

Called MB HQ today thrice. Kept getting voicemail when I got connected to the dude that runs the warranty dept.

I'll try again Monday.

love
nick

You know what, this whole thread has confirmed my theory buying ''close to new for considerably less'' is better in the long run. Manufacturers and theirs warranties suck and they will try to mess with you as much as possible. If I can get a machine with low hours for way less than the new asking price, Ill figure out the problems myself or find someone locally.

Personally, I would be adamant that Morbark take the POS back, and give you a new machine...full redress.
You can always settle for less, (like financial compensation), but at least start from a strong position.
It might be helpful if you smash a fingernail with a hammer in order to properly come across as angry, frustrated, disappointed, and wronged. Ask them Morbark pricks just how they plan on making this right.

We could all email corprate and include this link. I'm disgruntled just knowing you had any issue with that few hrs and no solution as a courtesy immediatly! After all you did your homework for a piece of machinery to purchase,and chose them wear item or not so new.

Im just going to lay it on the line here. They're giving you the run around because you are being a wimp. You bought a brand new machine, that failed quickly, and have allowed them to call all the shots since then. I cant think of any other way to say it. You need to step up to the plate and take charge. You are a business owner. Im sorry if that's harsh, but maybe it will put this into perspective and save you money.

Hey Nick, this is a shitty deal, man. I am replacing the bearings on my BC1000 on Sunday this week, and I bought both bearings new from a local machine shop for what you paid for one bearing. I am also lucky enough to have the guy I bought it from (my old boss) around to help out with this kind of thing. His general attitude towards dealers is that you should simply not do business with them. The tech's are not mechanics (for the life of me I can't figure out why they would neet to cut the housing with a grinder...that seems downright WRONG) and the dealer's are simply concerned with making $$. You'd be best to find a good machine shop, and a good mechanic (which are hard to find granted). I would also raise hell with regards to the methods they are using to do the bearing job, it sounds like they don't know shit.

FWIW, I generally fire a couple of shots on the drum bearings every day. Brendon would not like the grease that builds up on the machine, but I sure as shit don't want to replace bearings too often.

Chris is right, you are getting screwed. NONE of these repairs or parts replacements should be coming out of your pocket. You need to go into that dealer and be an asshole, that will be about the only way you get what you need to outta these guys. I'd also consider dumping a full load of branches their driveway.

Little late now but it looks like that part that you undid with the Allen screws should have come off first then the bearing itself. That part with the Allen screws looks like some kind of retainer to keep the bearing itself in place on the shaft . I am surprised to see that bearing and housing move as freely as it did when you tried to pry it off. I never had this problem with a chipper but that is what it looks like to me.

That bearing should no have failed after just 40 hours on a new machine unless it was installed totally dry at the factory which I doubt because most bearings have a grease coating applied to the rollers at the bearing manufacturer or are greased as part of the dealer prep before selling the machine. To me all this should be covered by the warranty PEROID.

I would use a different grease than that Marine grease. Not sure what we use without looking at the tubes, the grease we use either has molly in it or is a lithium No 2 type grease. I pick a grease that pumps good in the middle of winter when it is cold out. I don't think you have that problem though.

No, Larry, that is the extended part of the inner bearing, it sticks out so you can bolt it to something and make it part of the rotating assembly. It's another alignment point if you will.

If they had to cut it off with a grinder after 40 hours, there is a LOT wrong with this assembly! There is also no way they are going to be able to tell if it was a bearing failure or not! With all the metal he's just put into that bearing, and the heat damage he's caused, you just got hosed! SCREW the warranty dept., get who ever you can on the phone Monday and bitch them out! If you don't want to, PM me the info and I will be you for a day! This is a hose job if I've ever seen one! I've worked on too much equipment to buy into any of this BS! It's time to rip someone a new ass!
Really makes you wonder if the other dealer was trying to "up sell you" because he knew there were problems with this machine right now, doesn't it?

It's cool how the TH backs each other up! I would take these guys advice, push for a new machine. Get a hold of morbark show them this thread and let them know how connected you are in the industry. This kind of bad publicity is way way way more damaging for morbark as an equipment manufacturer than having to replace a 9" chipper with less than 40 hours on it. If we make enough waves, guarantee they will hear and you will get your problem solved! PM me the info and I'll call if you like

jp:D

Really makes you wonder if the other dealer was trying to "up sell you" because he knew there were problems with this machine right now, doesn't it?

This covers it I think. I worked in dealerships for nearly 20 years off and on and have never heard of anyone paying up front for what is a clear cut warranty issue. As far what they cut apart I'm not sure, it may have just been a short cut to save time? I wasn't there so it's hard to say. Get in touch with Morbark and find a different dealer.

I would be more concerned about the shaft being out of true than a defective bearing. A point I would make to Morbark for sure.

The bearing looks like it should be in the hundred and something range at a bearing house. Bunch of rips.

If warranty dept. continues to be slow I would go directly to the top. This is practically a new machine and you should be getting some better results.

In reading through all this it appears to be a classic case of a business man taking advantage about repairs from a person who has very little knowledge of what is involved in the process .It's an age old story .

Nick, not sure what part of LA you are in, but we are happy with John at Garvey equiptment,,1-800-282-4396.

He was the one that didn't think a tree service could operate with a chipper of this size.

I skipped him sortof out of spite. Since he was pushing me so hard on a bigger machine I decided to just go somewhere else. Maybe if I woulda just said "nope- gimme the M8"....maybe he woulda said Ok.

love
nick

Bump: Hey Nick, I have been one of the guys that is too nice being the owner of my company. I am sure this has you stressed man. We have an awesome brotherhood here on TH and these guys are giving some great advice. This is a step in your growth to becoming a better business man my brother. My tip if you decide to use it would be. Be assertive, don't take no for answer, have your mind set before you talk this ass that you are going to get what you paid for! A new chipper/PROPERLY repaired chipper, spare chipper delivered to your business, and discount/compensation for your lost time in wages. If you trimmed a tree for a customer and your climber left stubs and hangers all up the tree I bet you would make it right ;) Good luck
Mark

He was the one that didn't think a tree service could operate with a chipper of this size.

I skipped him sortof out of spite. Since he was pushing me so hard on a bigger machine I decided to just go somewhere else. Maybe if I woulda just said "nope- gimme the M8"....maybe he woulda said Ok.

love
nick

He might still be the best bet for future warranty work. He should get paid by the MFG for work done regardless of where you purchased the machine.

Was thinking the same thing. Besides- we are growing and growing and the day will come when it's time to buy another chipper...

love
nick

FWIW, in my experience those bearings are MURDER to get off, torching and banging the frig out of them is SOP, even by expert mechanics.

I would talk to morbark, the dealer is being a punk.

I just got off the phone with John at Morbark x1408. He runs the warranty department.

He confirmed that it is up to the dealer to decide if a demo model will be given out during the repairs. It is not a requirement. He said that it is the machine owners responsibility to tow the chipper to the dealer for repair, and it is up to the dealer to determine how to charge for warranty issues. So according to John it was acceptable for him to charge me for the part and then consider reimbursing us if it is covered under warranty.

He also said that the dealer usually has an idea in mind if it's going to be covered under warranty or not

love
nick

In other words... we will stand behind our dealers decisions no matter and a warranty is not worth the paper or handshake we give you.
They could care less if you continue doing business with them because they already have your money.

Morbark just lost a potential customer in my book. I will never buy one unless I hear they treat their customers better. Period.
Hear that John... ???

Sorry you are going through this Nick. They suck.

Back