Messed up bearings on chipper: VIDEO

Nick, why isn't the dealer doing this work? It should all be covered under warranty and you shouldn't even have to mess with it. We broke the upper feed wheel off of the shaft a weeks ago on our machine. The dealer put a brand new feed wheel on with brand new bearings, and fixed other issues on the machine they found all for free, and while providing us with a demo machine while the work was being done. Our machine is 1.5 years old, and if I am correct, yours is much newer. So whats the scoop?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Because the dealer involves decommissioning the chipper for a whole day. So far we have about 30 minutes into the project. If I can figure it out in another 30 and then 30-60 to actually do it, it's way better for us.

And I need to learn this crap, too.

love
nick

If the new expensive bearing you install lasts only 50 or "X" amount of hours, the dealer might very well say that you screwed up the install. Just sayin'

Much like I said about the future warranty. Make the dealer do it! I could see if you had just handed them 8 grand for somebody else's problem, but you didn't.

Have the dealer do it bro. If you screw install it yourself you void any future warranty issues with it. Better to bite the time crunch bullet now than a wallet grenade later.

You guys are wrong about voiding the warranty. I asked them about it and they said it's a straight forward repair that if done by myself, it wouldn't void anything.

Here's the update:

We tried again, with the service tech on the phone and they couldn't explain what needed to be done. In video you can see there is very little clearance so even once it was loose, we couldn't figure out how to slide the thing off without taking off 10 other parts.

We're taking it in tomorrow. I've cleared the schedule and now I gotta pay someone a dayto drive it there and another day to go pick it up when it's done (they will doubtfully be able to do it tomorrow.)

So yeah. Bummed.

This $400 part better be covered by the warranty.

I agree Nick! It should definitely be covered, AND you should be given, or even have one delivered, a demo in the mean time. I would have my dealer by the short and curlys if this happened to me.

I agree Nick! It should definitely be covered, AND you should be given, or even have one delivered, a demo in the mean time. I would have my dealer by the short and curlys if this happened to me.

Fo real. I'd raise hell and high water about this if they try to avoid covering it.

You guys are wrong about voiding the warranty. I asked them about it and they said it's a straight forward repair that if done by myself, it wouldn't void anything...This $400 part better be covered by the warranty.

So far you have been given the royal run-around by your dealer, so I would want that guarantee in writing.

Yup I'm mechanically inclined and would be damned if I had to touch it after just making the purchase. Hold them accountable period. I would be complaining to a higher up especially with so few hrs. You must have the patience of Jobe!

Damn straight.. They should have given you a demo to use, fixed the SOB and returned it picking up the demo with no out of pocket to you.. Bull shit dealer IMO. Morbark should pull their plug

I feel like I'm trapped. If they tell me my options, what other choice do I have. Does the dealer have a boss for me to complain to?

love
nick

Yeah! You can go corporate on him, or take the chipper back and tell him to eat it! I think we've all been saying this is BS from the get go! This isn't your bitch, it's his problem! It's up to you to make sure he knows it's his problem!

I would be pizzed, probably back that mobark up through office door, just saying

Nick,

Send him the link to this thread and see if he thinks this is good publicity for his handling of warranty dealings with a good customer. Or let corporate see the link.

I think he is taking the easy way out because you are laid back about the whole thing. You did a lot of research to buy his product and it is not holding up to your expectations (shouldn't have these problems this soon). Let him do his job so you can keep TreeCare LA busy doing its job.

So Oscar, my coworker, is there now at the dealership. Service technician, Milton said its a minimum $85 repair. I asked about warranty coverage and he said its a wear item that probably isn't covered and I should talk to the sales guy, Craig.

So I call Craig. Current plan is they swap the part, we pay for everything, they send the bearing to Morbark who will inspect it and send to the bearing manufacturer for inspection. If it's agreed that it's a warranty issue, we get a refund of the part and labor.

I asked how it could NOT be a warranty issue- it failed before it's first scheduled greasing (which woulda been 40 hrs). He only replied by saying it SHOULD be covered but he can't promise anything.

I mentioned what you guys are saying about him going a step further and that other dealers would have brought me another chipper or allowed us to swap this for a demo model or ANYTHING to go a step further than he did. His response was "that's not true. That doesn't happen."

So that's where we are at.

Milton said they can do the repair now and Oscar will be on his way back before Friday traffic gets crazy.

This whole situation stinks. There was one other morbark dealer considerably closer than Direct Edge, but that guy was adamant in me NOT getting this size chipper. Makes me wonder if I could have worked with him to get it. Mighta ended up a lot nicer right now- and at least I wouldn't have had to drive as far. Sucks paying a certified arborist a days wage just to chauffeur a chipper to the shop.

love
nick

Morbark is getting a bad rep here as far as I am concerned. Maybe it's the dealer who is the bad guy but the poop all rolls uphill to Morbark corporate.

I've had the complete opposite experience with my morbark dealer. They knock my socks off.

It's sounds like the dealer sucks.

Back