Looking for a Silvey

It is, I asked our local saw shop as they were a seller then went to Silvey's shop here in town.

Springboard cleat design is fairly simple. I have my cleat loose ATM. I will try to get a picture. The cleat is basic fab work for a person with the right tools. Mine has three holes for lags. Semi circular design to then cleat lip allows you to pivot while standing on it.

I used it last on a big, rotten maple which I wanted to cut from one side. Useful on double leaders where you need a bit more height, as Squish shows.

Got a lead on a Silvey round and a square grinder, if anyone is interested let me know. I think I will buy both and may or may not keep the square.

Probably more money than I need to spend on one, but the square grinder might tempt me. Drop me a pm, Willie, if you decide to sell it.

I am interested in a round grinder if you ever come across another one.

I'll probably let the round grinder go, I'll mess around with it first and make sure it's solid.
Burnham, I'll probably keep the square, for awhile anyway....

Which square grinder is it Willie? I have the SDM-4 and I am happy as a clam with it.
sdm4.jpg

I bet you are you Silvey owning bastad! I ordered a Oregon one years ago now and I dunno, was never impressed. I just hand file most all the time.

I quite enjoy hand filing. My vise is close to the wood heater, with a light right above. Beer fridge not far away. Lol. Filing I find meditative, a fine activity to be doing. Watching what was shot, become a razor again. Getting a chain just right, balanced and even. I find it satisfying.

It's what I do on the round chain Justin. I just want a fast alternative for future plans. Also something to take down the rakers a tad faster. My hands can use a break once in a while.

Yah I only run round, easy to hand file. I find the rakers the easiest part, but obviously my hands can use a break too.

I won't lie. I utter the odd curse on a badly rocked chain, but mostly just to be moan my own misfortune at having it happen in the first place. I can get heated if I have to file someone else's forked over chain. My company rule is you file whatever saw you run, but with green guys I'm always having to do extra. Good filing, and good cutting go hand in hand. Hard to have one without the other. Everyone has to learn though, no ones born with it.

Not sure which one it was, I'll have a closer look tomorow. got a bar rail grinder and several partial rolls of Oregon chain. Not too fond of Oregon but it's the right size and price. I took all the .063 and left the rest. Scored a drawer box full of new/used saw parts too

Nice Willie! A pro sharp too! I bought mine in 96, when I was busheling. I have only replaced the cable twice, and of course the dressers. Awesome chain grinder. The only thing I didn't like about it was the weak springs on both feeds, so I found a heavier duty one for the bottom carriage, and added two more to the other side of the top carriage. Add oil to the ports once in a while, keep it brushed off and give an adjustment once in a while, and it will last a long time. There is a knack to square grinding, and I am glad that I learned how to chisel file while busheling, before I bought my grinder. Keep the round grinder and use it to take out gullets. I have a tecomec that I bought from Madsens, that works great for that. Taking them out manually on a square grinder sucks. I was contemplating buying the silvey raker grinder, but they quit making them before I could decide, so I talked my Dad out of his Zigelmeyer...I love that too, and wish I would have had it when I was busheling. If you have any questions about your pro sharp, let me know. Also, I had problems with my bar rail grinder not wanting to run, and let a client of mine look at it. He was a tinkerer, and if I remember right, he drilled a hole somewhere and squirted some oil, and blew it out with compressed air(although they say you are not supposed to)...it has worked fine since.

As far as tree jacks...I am glad I have my set of silvey tree savers, but I also got a sweet deal on them when I was falling timber. I just had madsens rebuild them, and it was spendy! Make sure and run the right oil in them(mobil dte 57). I think that is why mine started leaking. There is a guy making tree jacks now, and here is his page: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100005051957860&fref=ts
Look like pretty sweet outfits, although they don't have the capacity that the silvey tree saver set does, they would work fine for most anything anymore. It's been fun talking about grinders and tree jacks:) Have a splendid day folks!-

Back