Looking for a Silvey

There must be a few of those tree jacks sitting around being unused in people's garages? Never know, might need to jack up the corner of the house at some point.

39416_480037614843_3015451_n.jpg

Or a pickup, if they are the only jacks you have :)

Actually, I used them one time in Alaska to jack up a corner of a 3 story fishing lodge.

They can sure save a lot of pounding. Not much call for jacks anymore, except in the creek bottoms, where the tree have to go uphill.

I recall many an old-timber saying, "I wish we had them things when I was falling timber." There is an art to pounding steel wedges to lift a tree. They are so fine taper they will compress the wood if you hit them too hard with the sledge. So you go down the line tapping them in, a little bit at a time.

Those days are gone.

My buddy is jacking up his fish house right now with mine. 900 or so tilapia in a 1000 gallon tank inside that shed!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
let's see..............1 gal of h20 weighs about 8lbs..........that's about 8,000 lbs in the tank...........not including the momentum of the h20 when it sloshes around

Fwiw, he said he never hit 2500 pounds as it lifted each corner. He learned about not releasing the pressure rapidly either. He thought he broke the jack cause it wouldn't go down :lol:

They can sure save a lot of pounding. Not much call for jacks anymore, except in the creek bottoms, where the tree have to go uphill.

I recall many an old-timber saying, "I wish we had them things when I was falling timber." There is an art to pounding steel wedges to lift a tree. They are so fine taper they will compress the wood if you hit them too hard with the sledge. So you go down the line tapping them in, a little bit at a time.

Those days are gone.

I wish I could have seen that or had the oldtimers around here to spin a yarn or two.

Are you sure that there aren't any old timers in your area? You have to make yourself available. A guy I know near me just brought in four saws to get checked out, and bummed some wedges, but he's only 82 . After knee surgery he's back at it.

well............getting back to the original thought............still searching for the elusive Silvey. :roll:

Are you sure that there aren't any old timers in your area? You have to make yourself available. A guy I know near me just brought in four saws to get checked out, and bummed some wedges, but he's only 82 . After knee surgery he's back at it.

There are a few but not like the OG timber fallers of the PNW.

welp..........might have found some good, used tree saver rams, but no pump or hoses. does anyone know if the older tree saver rams are interchangeable with the newer model pump and hoses? :roll:

Back