length of lanyard?

:lol:

Spellfeller, I think that lanyard looks just fine, and Climb Right hasn't had any safety issues that I've heard of. If you really need extra weight on the snaphook to throw it somewhere, carry a 10 oz. throw bag on your belt and clip it on for that toss.

I've used steel and aluminum both...steel does toss easier, but I never had much trouble with the aluminum, but then I have a big old scaffold knot there with it to add some beef :).

Aluminum here, too. I have never felt like it was not heavy enough...maybe my big knot helps, too.

Attachments

• IMG_07791.jpg
    IMG_07791.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks again, guys.

Burnham, I love the throwbag trick. And am glad to know that you've at least heard of Climb Right!

Gary, it's cool to see your additions to the NT connection point. Am I right that you've got a paw on the upper delta and then a swivel on a clevis coming off the leg ring?

If memory serves me correctly isn't Climb right from spyder that had something to do with Kong and the faulty ring issues?

Ugh. If that's true, Peter, I hope they've got their issues sorted! :|:

That picture is several years old and the link has nice brownish patina now, Stephen...I guess it was not stainless. My New Tribe Pro needs some re-working from New Tribe...will be sending it to them soon.

Jeff, that Rock Exotica swivel was an experiment at the time...not using it now. But you are right on the PAW...I have three NT saddles...two of them have a PAW. I like the attachment points, especially when using two climb lines.

Jeff, that Rock Exotica swivel was an experiment at the time...not using it now. But you are right on the PAW...I have three NT saddles...two of them have a PAW. I like the attachment points, especially when using two climb lines.

Gary, what number of holes do you like best? The newer ones seem to be 3 or 5--so there's one centered. The originals, like the one in the picture, had 4.

Ugh. If that's true, Peter, I hope they've got their issues sorted! :|:

Probably has been sorted out, so long as the items have been purchased from a reputable retailer, all should be good.

I purchased a Buckingham rope bridge assembly from Treestuff, had unmarked rigging plates and rings, shot an Email to Luke, got strength ratings and the reason they had no markings because it was Buckingham's proprietary parts.

I purchased a few "kong" biners, from Cutter's Choice up the road in London, usually the bill will have the item, some manufacturer's numbers, Country of manufacture, and manufacturer. The biners had no info on the bill. I called up, customer service said it was strange as well, all climbing products they sell have that info. After a while they got back to me, had something to do with their source, Spyder called the biners Kong or Climb right or their Brand, said they were not forthcoming with the info. Decided to call myself, got a same run around. The biners I still use, seem good, no distortions, actions work smooth, etc etc, I'm just not a fan of not knowing the details, and why the run around.....

Thanks for the background, Peter. Glad to hear that the biners have held up.

The more I think about it, I am much more of a risk to myself than any Chinese-made rope snap! Focus and mindfulness are always keys to safety! ;)

Gary, what number of holes do you like best? The newer ones seem to be 3 or 5--so there's one centered. The originals, like the one in the picture, had 4.

If I had to buy a new one I might get the 3 hole version...looks clean and simple. I like my 4 hole one but 5 looks pretty busy. With one climbing rope I use the two center holes...if two ropes I either put rope two attachments into holes 1 and 4...or...transfer rope 1 to the 2 side holes nearest that TIP and rope 2 to the other two holes.

According to the Petzl safety notice it might be possible to attach to the plate "wrong"...here is one of their pdfs related to the PAW...what is the graphic with the "X" thru it trying to tell us (center of first page)?

http://www.petzl.com/sfc/servlet.shepherd/version/download/068w0000001c0TBAAY

Paranoid ...mebbe. Special ordered current saddle w Steel Dees ... Where is my foil hat ?
Non locking snap gate, but steel D's????
I kind of hate it already based on its seeming cheapness! :O

I'm sure it's fine and the QC is there (it's stamped rated to 33kN and 10kN side-loaded), but that distinctive font that a lot of Chinese goods use does not exactly inspire confidence! I'll try to take a photo...

:lol:

Spellfeller, I think that lanyard looks just fine, and Climb Right hasn't had any safety issues that I've heard of. If you really need extra weight on the snaphook to throw it somewhere, carry a 10 oz. throw bag on your belt and clip it on for that toss.

I've used steel and aluminum both...steel does toss easier, but I never had much trouble with the aluminum, but then I have a big old scaffold knot there with it to add some beef :).

I'll sometimes use a steel carabiner with a 16-ounce throw bag for longer rope advances.

This heavy weight also be used to hold the tail of the climb line for a rope walker setup for better ascender advancement.

If I had to buy a new one I might get the 3 hole version...looks clean and simple. I like my 4 hole one but 5 looks pretty busy. With one climbing rope I use the two center holes...if two ropes I either put rope two attachments into holes 1 and 4...or...transfer rope 1 to the 2 side holes nearest that TIP and rope 2 to the other two holes.
Hmm...the more I think about your system, the more I like the sound of the four hole version!

According to the Petzl safety notice it might be possible to attach to the plate "wrong"...here is one of their pdfs related to the PAW...what is the graphic with the "X" thru it trying to tell us (center of first page)?

Not sure, but I think there's the outline of a cliff edge in the background? Guessing that you shouldn't drape it over anything and load the device in any direction other than along its length?

Hmm...the more I think about your system, the more I like the sound of the four hole version!

Not sure, but I think there's the outline of a cliff edge in the background? Guessing that you shouldn't drape it over anything and load the device in any direction other than along its length?

That's the way I read it, too.

Tim

Im rocking 10` ft lanyard 1/2` yale xtc fire, with climb right rope grab, isc double action snap. If tree is to big around to make flipping up a hasle, I just fire a line n ropewalk. Thinking about going to 9/16 stabble brade or something of that sort to make it a little easier on the hands. I can take a picture if anyone wants to see my setup, IMO less is best on my saddle I only take up have sent up what I NEED. :D

Back