lanyard vs. flipline

I need to learn to splice. I think the the stand would give good grip.

I think Madsen's sells 3/4" hemp steel core flip lines.

hahaha, Squishy...probably the SAME damn belt!!! We used that in trees in the 70's 'cause we were idiots. Along with 3 strand manila...I still have this manila...love the smell of manila rope.

Attachments

• manila rope.JPG
    manila rope.JPG
    173.4 KB · Views: 51
Thanks, Gary for the insite. I was just looking for something bigger and stiffer then 1/2'' , it seems its not very nice on the hands.

...there are benefits to 1/2" ...I have two three strand Dacron safeties , one on each Dee. Left has a Gibbs the other an old High Vee spliced end w a Blake's from my split tail days and a minder pulley. Though I have never run bigger diameter for this purpose I suppose in some situations there would be advantages

Gary I tried to pull your lanyard picture up, to no avail. What advantages do you see in your setup with the shackle and dog snap compared to a locking carabiner with the pulley sandwiched between the eyes of the hitch cord?

If you have a pulley to tend the knot then this is ineffective, as you will only run to the end of the strop.

I climb with a wire core on dismantles & 30ft 10mm cordage one for pruning.

If you're hanging by the flipline with a spar-split circle of death situation, the rescuer hangs you on the rescue line, or you're already on a safe climb line, cutting the hitch cord will release it until the pulley hits the end of the line. This should give more room. If you're already at the end of your flipline, and it splits, you screwed.

Has anyone ever used Yale Polydyne for flip line in 1/2'' Just wondering your thoughts on it is all.....

When doing a removal, I really like to have a wire core closest to my saw...yes, you can still cut it but the bit of peace of mind helps.
I have been known to use all three on a dismantle, main line, rope lanyard and wire core.
In my very early days I was doing a removal, climbed above my main tie in, only had a rope lanyard...the top went suddenly (it had some lean) and shook the tree, I grabbed with one hand and couldn't quite hold the weight of my saw with the other...as it came down the trunk, it was running down and only just nicked my rope lanyard...I got real case of pop-eyes and funny tummy I tell you!
I bought a wire-core the next day.

Thanks for sharing that, Bermy. It's scenes like that that make me paranoid, and cause me to add in redundancy to my climbing systems.

I'm glad you got away with that one, because you've taught me a lot since I've joined the "House". Always like hearing your point of view.

Tim

Back