lanyard vs. flipline

Spellfeller

Clueless but careful
Hi, guys:

My lanyard is 15' of 11mm Super Static. Pic here:
https://www.masterblasterhome.com/s...gth-of-lanyard&p=733293&viewfull=1#post733293

What I'm wondering is whether I NEED a true flipline for spur climbing, or if I would PREFER one. My sense is that my work positioning lanyard will work okay but will be harder to manage up the tree than a true wire-core or something beefier with more body to it.

If I were to upgrade, what rope and diameter would you recommend?
Since my splicing skills are currently non-existent, I'll probably go with something pre-made:
http://www.treestuff.com/store/products.asp?category_id=159

Pretty rare you'll need more than that 15' job. If you occasionally do fat trees it's nice to have a longer one. Wire or not, don't cut your lanyard.

When doing a removal, I really like to have a wire core closest to my saw...yes, you can still cut it but the bit of peace of mind helps.
I have been known to use all three on a dismantle, main line, rope lanyard and wire core.
In my very early days I was doing a removal, climbed above my main tie in, only had a rope lanyard...the top went suddenly (it had some lean) and shook the tree, I grabbed with one hand and couldn't quite hold the weight of my saw with the other...as it came down the trunk, it was running down and only just nicked my rope lanyard...I got real case of pop-eyes and funny tummy I tell you!
I bought a wire-core the next day.

I thought I would like a wire core, gave it a college try for about 3weeks , now I went back to rope lanyard, if its a fat live oak ill put a ladder up , if its a tall pine or hickory per say , ill fire a line and rope walk. Hope this helps. As far as removals I put my climb line way below my lanyard, groin to knee high.

Exactly right. That's how I do it. Steel core is heavy to me, say what u want but when its 100 def F out with nasty humidity ever lb counts. Nother tip spellfeller instead of a throw bag for weight to zing up your flipline/climbline with aluminum snap carry a extra steel krab that way its not a complete waste u can click that steel krab on zing that thing then rehang on saddle and use it for something else piss on that throw bag idea,

MB never tried those gibbs grabs got a old inshape one u would like to sell. One last thing u ever tried 9/16 or 5/8 bull rope for a lanyard, just asking cause sometimes the 1/2 is hard to grab when im worn out.

Don't have 60 bucks. What about the bigger line for a lanyard for ease of grabbing? Ever tried it?

All I have ever used is a lanyard...I don't have a wire core. I don't feel like I have had any work positioning problems with lanyard only. It is about 9/16" and static line...fairly stiff which makes it flip pretty well. But nothing wrong with a wire core...I'll probably eventually try one...I certainly see the wisdom of using one in certain situations (as Bermy just described :\: and for topping/chunking in general)

I'll surely go ahead and get one when my son starts doing more of the "in tree" work.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, all.

I'll likely soldier on with what I've got for the time being!

I've always used a wire core myself. Pretty standard it seems in these parts and certainly in the woods. It was how I learned and it stuck with me I suppose. They certainly flip nicely.

Only drawback I've encountered with a wire core is they can self-tend through the mechanical adjusters. This can get a little annoying when every time you lean forward you're lanyard has you hugging the tree. Otherwise I like um.

Only drawback I've encountered with a wire core is they can self-tend through the mechanical adjusters. This can get a little annoying when every time you lean forward you're lanyard has you hugging the tree. Otherwise I like um.

16 years of wire core,never had this happen 😜
Gibbs + yale maxiflip 1/2"
I recently switched to a rope w friction hitch for my lanyard but have both riggs on hand

I run a 15' x 5/8's with a VT Steel core flipline. The bigger hand is nice. The hitch is nice, as I can lower out a little, rather than lift myself, and adjust myself away from the tree.

The hitch cord is a cut-able link, in case of emergency.
won't
The weight of the tail can cause self-tending. If you clip the end of the tail to the back of the harness with a weak key biner, you won't have that issue. Didn't bother me. I used it to my advantage, at times.

16 years of wire core,never had this happen ��
Gibbs + yale maxiflip 1/2"
I recently switched to a rope w friction hitch for my lanyard but have both riggs on hand

I bet those Gibbs units have better springs on their cams. Happens to me all the time.

All I have ever used is a lanyard...I don't have a wire core. I don't feel like I have had any work positioning problems with lanyard only. It is about 9/16" and static line...fairly stiff which makes it flip pretty well. But nothing wrong with a wire core...I'll probably eventually try one...I certainly see the wisdom of using one in certain situations (as Bermy just described :\: and for topping/chunking in general)

I'll surely go ahead and get one when my son starts doing more of the "in tree" work.

Hey, Pantheraba, do you have a pic or name of that static 9/16 that sounds promising for me...

This static line came from Blue Water...not sure of the name of it offhand:

I THINK it is 9/16...feels bigger than 1/2".

Attachments

• IMG_8352 (2).jpg
    IMG_8352 (2).jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0781 (2).JPG
    IMG_0781 (2).JPG
    115.7 KB · Views: 40
  • saddle setup (4).JPG
    saddle setup (4).JPG
    405.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0784 (2).JPG
    IMG_0784 (2).JPG
    122.5 KB · Views: 40
Sean, have you tried 5/8" 3 strand rope for a flip/"lanyard. Just thought about it cause 3 strand seems kinda stiff. Amy thoughts?

hahaha...back in the 70's and 80's I had some 3 strand...here is the first "saddle" I ever used. A buddy taught me to climb with this lineman's belt.

I got a kind of "real" saddle in the 80's maybe and started using 3 strand then...the snaps had no safeties. I can remember sometimes a rope would run across my lanyard and open the snaps...that was a bad sound and feeling. I really like the way snaps work now.

I bet a good, stiff 3 strand would make a fine flipline these days...WITH modern locking snaps, of course.

That 80's "real" saddle always hurt my hips...I actually installed a turnbuckle on it at one point to try to adjust the pressure on me.

I finally got a New Tribe Pro about 2006.

Attachments

• IMG_1127 (2).jpg
    IMG_1127 (2).jpg
    268.7 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1110 (2).jpg
    IMG_1110 (2).jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_1130 (2).jpg
    IMG_1130 (2).jpg
    170.2 KB · Views: 52
  • saddle-old reszd1.jpg
    saddle-old reszd1.jpg