In The News...

Just about all valves are controlled by computers. It's been that way ever since computers were invented, and before that on control panels to make it as much like computers as possible. Honestly a ton of the technology over the last 150 years was directly driven by piping and piping controls. I'm not going to get too detailed, but I'm honestly amazed this hasn't happened sooner.

It's my understanding the pipeline controls are air gapped, and Colonial shut them down out of caution til they understood the extent of the intrusion. IOW, the pipeline controls aren't the object of the breech.

Just about all valves are controlled by computers. It's been that way ever since computers were invented, and before that on control panels to make it as much like computers as possible. Honestly a ton of the technology over the last 150 years was directly driven by piping and piping controls. I'm not going to get too detailed, but I'm honestly amazed this hasn't happened sooner.
Sprinkler systems still have manual knobs on the servo.

Yes there are still manual valves, but most valves are controlled electronically. Sprinkler systems even have auto valves.

They've been hooked up for decades, especially pipeline. I'm not trying to be confrontational, but this is simple fact. I helped decommission a terminal that actually ran without an operator at all, just a guy in a guard shack with an oh shit button in there. Everything done remotely. I've worked in plants here that they run from Germany. Every commercial building you go in for the most part has hydronic heating and cooling, all remotely controlled. Hell my mom has her heating and cooling system so she can control it by her phone. Yes they have manual valves too, but it is usually only for backup or isolation for maintenence, in the real world most aren't even cycled enough to be reliable when needed. On pipeline they simply often omit them, and drop stopples when they need to isolate a section.

You know that I am 60 years oldd Kyle?
So before you as a sperm could swim, we were not as security vulnerable as we are now with out more hands on the steering. I am not confronting you. Nor am I saying this is new. I am agreeing that we are more vulnerable now than before, and you could just see it coming. Huge national security issue.

It's not going to change back ever, and honestly i can't agree it's less secure now. Before one guy could take down all sorts of stuff if he was gotten to, now not so much. These days they just do it remotely, just like how we kill people now. Warfare is simply changing, not for better or worse, just different.

I'm not sure what the whole I'm older/sperm thing was about, irrelevant on this topic especially.

What amazes me is that such is allowed to happen. A group of genius idiots decided to simply hack/hijack a company and hold them for ransom and it’s cool? I think not. Druid City Hospital (Tuscaloosa) had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. Someone hacked them and demanded ransom. Cancer patients couldn’t get their treatments, other procedures were delayed...and it seems we’re cool with that.

Last edited:
What, where the right starts crying that the democrats somehow stole the election months before it even happens? "If they win, they cheated"

:cry::cry::cry:

and it’s cool? ..and it seems we’re cool with that.

Whom is it cool with, these ransomware attacks? I know of no one its cool with. Why would it be cool with anyone except the criminals who are profiting from it?

It's cool with Putin too. Him and Russia are professional trolls, and live to stir shit around the world. They have an agreement with the hackers to not target Russian assets, and the state doesn't look too hard when crimes come from their territory.

I thought Dems said Trump cheated by winning with electoral college and not popular. Just evening out the accusations or whatever, not trying to derail the thread.

I don't think they said he cheated. They were just whining about the results. He won by playing the game's rules. That's the way it goes.

Absolutely yes, and the courts agreed. Democracy all of a sudden didn't stop working because the world's biggest narcissist said so.

Whom is it cool with, these ransomware attacks? I know of no one its cool with. Why would it be cool with anyone except the criminals who are profiting from it?
I guess “cool” was a stretch. I meant it’s allowed. It’s tolerated.

A few years ago, someone used my mother’s credit card number to buy ~$3000 worth of computers, etc. The DA came to my folks’ house and got her info and had her sign some papers. They had the transaction cancelled and told her they’d investigate it further. I personally thought they should have contacted the company, told them what was up, had them ship worthless merchandise with a tracker inside it and get the folks. But no...let’s waste time and money and get nothing done.

Darkside pulls a stunt like this...track them down and make examples of them. Just my two cents...

Tracking down Darkside is easier said than done afaik, but I suspect a lot of energy is being put into that effort, now.

Back