If not the tree biz, what would you do?

Congrats on surviving the first cut Chuckster. Good luck.

Thanks, OM, you'd be a most excellent teacher. One of the noblest of professions.

Of course I'm ruling out Bible School when I say that.

I would probably go back to the ski lifts. I really feel that working aloft makes for a good day. If the ski lifts were failing I would go back to wildfire. Hopefully find something where I would still be around for my children.

Quim Trimeur, Marijuana/Apple/Cider Farmer... :lol:

Edit: For Caveman!

I'd like to maybe have a goat farm in a scenic place...possibly New Zealand. I enjoy having goats. Very practical and useful animals. Then some bee hives in the orchard as well.

I was hiking over a hill one day, rather steep and rocky, and hot. I stop to take a breather under a live oak. Heard a rustle in the brush,,, that alarmed me with a start. It was a herd of pygmy goats coming up the hill behind me and they all came by to look at me up close and personal and then went on their way. I thought it was a most cool experience.

When I bought a goat once, from a farm that had a lot of them, the lady who sold it cried and cried. The owners were of European dissent, and they truly loved their goats. Their animals looked so happy and healthy too.

Will by trade i'm a designer That dose trees on the side. If i had to stop both of them then i would try DNR agent. Guns, Wild life, plants And getting out of the office priceless.

I had 4 years of metal fab in school and did a little bit in the service. After the service I applied for a VA apprenticeship program at a local manufacturing plant, that made industrial stainless steel food processing machinery. I was accepted into the program, but the message, taken on the phone by my mother never reached me until after the position was taken by another applicant. Had that message reached me I would not be where I am today. And I have no regrets about the path that I have taken. I really believe I'm happier and far better off than I would be as a retired machinist.

I could have done that also Ger. But the usual workplace for a machinist or welder is some dingy metal building, breathing welding smoke or in a machinist case burning oil. I like to do that stuff occasionally, but day in and day out, not unless I have no better options.

I was just out of the Navy and my unemployment was about out. One morning, as I was sipping on a cup o joe on my front porch, a buddy of mine that I hadn't seen in years drove by in a Hi-Ranger. He was the foreman of a three man crew trimming the power lines for the city. As it was, he was short a man and he hired me on the spot.

I've always wondered how my life would be had I not been sitting on my front porch that morning. Propinquity is an odd thing. Hell, I never even knew there was such a job as trimming trees. It was cool. Because the foreman was my buddy, he started training (if that's the word for it, lol) me to run the bucket from day one.

Ha.

Ain't life funny like that... Better made plans.... But circumstance hands you what and when regardless... I was going to be an Architect .. Until life happened ... HAHAHA

I learned that word in Sociology, one of the stoopedest college classes I ever attended.

Oh, and 'recidivism' was another one...

Back