I want to live somewhere else

As for wanting to live somewhere else, I dont blame you. If your really smart:evil: move to Canada.
Vancouver is beautiful, lots of big old trees. Victoria same. heading east....lame.
Stay close to the west coast, its the good chit.
I live in the Okanagan Valley, inland from the coast a couple hundred cliks, but very very picturesque, nice place to live really.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have always thought BC would be great. I dont know if i could handle florida heat. I might take a trip to BC with the wife and convince her.

I did some hurricane stuff in west palm beach in 05 and the heat was brutal. I would sweat standing still

You can kinda spread your wings and boom around the country .It's fun for a while but it gets real old after a time .

I guess it's whatever a person feels comforable with .
I'm not cut out to be hemed in with city life so I suppose I'll just reside in the middle of a giant corn field the rest of my days .

Every place has pros and cons to it .Like the Keys ,nice weather but a completely different lifestyle .Damned high priced realestate ,hurricanes .

California ,nice weather ,earth quakes .Midwest ,cheap living ,not so nice of weather ,tornados.

Sometimes its not exactly where you end up, but the journey you take getting there and the places you see along the way, possibly to end up back 'home' in the end.

I'm very happy to have traveled while younger, living out of my van (I regard it as not living in my van, except for that month where I spent weekends in Reno while doing field work for half the week, when a homeless person asked me if I was homeless. My response was houseless by choice.). I was in UT, CO, NV, CA, mainly. I'll likely never have such a chance again, and definitely not that experience.

Adrian, RangerDanger, has worked his way around the country some. Depends on your needs for stability, etc.

I have worked a few places...in order of appearance: Seneca, SC, Gainesville, FL, Austin, TX, and I have been in Steamboat Springs, CO for a few years now. By far my favorite place out of the four. Great weather in the summer skiing in the winter, but not a lot of huge trees. Most of the trees we work on are Cottonwoods, Willows, Spruce, Aspen, and Lodgepole Pine (beetle kill is pretty much dealt with in the residential setting).

Our tree work sounds very similiar to yours Jeff. Bozeman has a ton of green ash as well. Beetle kill is pretty much done up here , the last two years we have not had much at all

I once spent June, July, August, and a portion of September on a little island called Parris Island. That was a hot and muggy part of the world.

I spent about half the summer once in Charleston SC .Might as well have been in a sauna .At least in the keys you get a little breeze off the Atlantic .

Butch don't lie. You named the states that have legal bud, hahaha. Good one man. Gulf coast louisiana is as bad as south Florida. I don't recommend either if you aren't heat hardened

You can't hid from the heat .Fact two years ago I kinda razzed the southern bunch when we were up to our butts in snow that come summer we wouldn't be roasting like they.Chit come July it was just as hot here as La.

Fact for two weeks in a row it was in the high 90's ,80 percent humidity and Toms' boys would rather spend the day in the wood pile under the canopies splitting wood as doing tree work in the blazing hot sun .

When you can drink 6 bottles of ice water and never pizz a drop you know damned well it's hot .If you didn't shot gun the water you'd fall over .

The hell if I know. Not the UK, from what I've been told.

Definitely not the UK!
Zero control on what we do.
Legislation and red tape up to our eye balls.
Totally swamped with tree firms. Supply now out weighs demand.
If you act unprofessionally, do bad work, steal tools, no insurance, pay no taxes, you will be the winner and make loads of money. Fact!

New England.

x3

You would be surprised how much people in nicer parts of the city care about their trees. Same goes for coastal towns. They only want people who know what they're doing and are willing to pay for it.

Beware the tax man up here though, he takes big bites out of your pay!

Ya there is no doubt i would learn a ton in new england. I think it would make me better.

Theres money in those cities and suburbs and some beautiful places too. Go where the money is. Its that simple. If you are on the fence about relocating, going where the money is slim is a brutal way to do it. Ask me all about that.

Tree work does seem to fall into a luxury expenditure especially high end pruning focused work. If you have a strong talent in doing quality work I think you will feel most rewarded (financially, mentally etc.) in an area that will recognize and support that skill set.

jp:D

I live in a lower income area on Oahu and we rarely if ever do work in the area I live. Instead we drive an hour each way to go to where people have very expensive homes with very nice trees that they are willing to pay money to have maintained. Unfortunately, doing tree work will never allow us to live in the area we work. That's a sad realization to come to...

jp:D

I spent a couple of weeks on Oahu and loved it. Someday i want to go back and rec climb. We stayed in Waialua near the old sugar mill i thougjt the north shore was great

Back