Hunting 2013

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You trapping coyotes? To bad fur isn't worth what it used to be. We got enough coons around here and coyotes. Funny how the squirrels dropped right off in numbers. Not that it bothers me, they are annoying chatterboxes.

Fur is at record high prices my friend. The Chinese blew the industry through the roof last winter with strong anticipation of bigger numbers this year. A red fox this year will fetch anywhere from 45-100 bucks.

Coon obviously varies based on region but semi northern jumbos go well into 40 some dollars.

So how'd the day end up?
This was a road kill two days ago. If the idiots weren't pushing an illegal area, he might have walked by my stand.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1384653803.202955.jpg

Yeah, would have been nice. 14 points and 196 lbs. The tool in the photo was posing at the accident scene.:|:

Got out to a local pheasant preserve Friday with a guy I work with. Ended up with a total of 8 birds. We both missed the same one once, and I passed at a shot at one that I thought was a bit too low/close to the dog. The guide we had said I could have taken the shot but I did the right thing. I thought so too. Also a couple that the dog kicked up that neither of us were ready for, so they flew. I think I ended up with 6 or 7 of them. My friend has no trouble kicking my ass at clay shooting...but something 8 times the size of a clay disk flying through the air at 1/4 of the speed is too difficult :lol: I had a good time, and although it was a preserve, it was my first actual hunt. I'll post some pictures as soon as I get them.

Done deer hunting. I shot 6 this year. Two were cripples that ran my way and I finished off for other hunters. Obviously 4 were my own. Shot these three on Friday. Killed my buck running uphill away from me across a valley at 250 yards. He was running up a steep incline and all I had was his back. Put the crosshairs on the back of his neck and when the bullet got there it dropped him cold with a dead on spine hit right down into his vitals.

Dayum, that's taking care of bidness!! I was wondering where you'd been:/: lol.

Looks like you have alot of deer there. I'm here in suburbia, one of the deer hotspots on earth, and the population seems to be down, I've heard the coyotes have been taking a toll, fortunately

Ya Ive been quiet the last 2 weeks. Deer season. Ive logged MANY miles on foot. It was a good season. Ive been busy slicing entire deer into jerky and smoking them in my smokehouse out back. Ive done three so far and have more to go. Did one for a buddy and will do another for a buddy besides all my own. Its a ton of work.

Im passing by tomorrow and back through Thursday. I'll keep a gallon bag in the truck. If I pass by during decent hours, I will. Ill be on the road at 4 am tomorrow. On my way back through I'll check the clock and possibly give you a shout.

Chris, how long will the meat from four Deer last you? It seems like it would provide mucho meals. Venison stew is a favorite.

2 months, tops. I make it all into jerky, and snack meats. I don't enjoy plain venison dishes. I like a few dishes I guess. We do a few batches of chili with 10 pounds of ground venison I set aside. When I make jerky, kielbasa, or snack sticks, its like Im the new heroin dealer in town. I eat a big portion of it, but a grea deal of it gets scavenged by everyone I know.

Nothing gets wasted though Jay. The front shoulders are often a loss however. The bullet tends to beat them up and there isn't a ton of meat on them to start.

I hate when someone might give me venison that is extremely tough. Either they don't know themselves or are playing a trick. I guess it would be ok for jerky. I know what you mean by plain venison. It is kind of like goat's milk, if you can get past the taste it is really good!

Venison is extremely lean obviously. It lacks the fat marbling within the meat to keep itself juicy. With that said, its a very healthy red meat, but requires different cooking methods then beef does in order to keep it moist. Crock pots/slow cookers really help venison out. Doing venison with some sort of liquid base that it can absorb, takes a lot of the margin of error out in terms of cooking it to the point of being tough and dry. My jerky recipe is marinated for days in a cocktail of brown sugar, kosher salt, ground cloves, nutmeg, and ginger. The blood from the meat combines with these ingredients to form a thick marinade that the meat absorbs. The meat is then washed clean, and evenly covered in Worcestershire sauce, black pepper, and assaulted hard with old bay. The hung vertically from steel racks over a metal tub in my smokehouse. That tub is where is keep the wood smoldering. When you bite into my jerky, it has the absolute texture of jerky, but isn't like trying to grind leather with your teeth. My ingredients also don't leave the meat with a flavor that in unique to one ingredient. They meld together for a very old fashioned savory taste.

I can imagine the jerky must be very tasty! In olden days in Europe, before starting a bicycle race that required a lot of endurance, eating raw venison was a common practice.

I always have a couple packs of this beef jerkey in my truck.

tenderbite_original.png

Back