How's it goin down South?

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 59
  • Views 5K
Flying Squirrels are amazing critters, how swift they move and can beautifully soar A sudden close encounter with one really made me jump when it scrambled out of a crane pick. Two types here, and it was the larger one. :O

We had a family of them living in the trees in front of the house. My son and I climbed up in the Red Oaks with them. They are quite trusting at night. It is incredible how far the can soar on a jump. It really does seem more like flying.

My wife had a gray for about ten years, loved her, me not so much. The flying squirrels are absolutely amazing WWB, you're right. I cut a pine limb with a nest in it once, the momma went sailing out but four little pink ones about the size of a big grub worm hit the ground. I watched her come back, search through the grass until she found one. She'd grab it by the scruff of the neck, carry it to a nearby oak, climb to the very top and sail to another pine tree a good thirty yards away that had another nest in it. In a flash she'd sail back and repeat the process until she got the last one. I was amazed that she could fly while holding the babies.

You out in the country Lim? When I was down in Taylor County I noticed most people with a well didn't have a pump house. I asked my bud how that works in the winter. He says they just fix the broken pipes when they freeze up. Seems like after a couple of those episodes you would build a little shelter.
I'm a little west of Taylor County and I do have a pump house with a light in it but those kind of freezes usually only come along every 10-20 years here on the coast.

Back