How'd it go today?

Home when I should be working after coming down with a flu or some such. Had my feed wheel arm seize overnight or so it seemed so that is on the burner for today. And got my first and only fine from code enforcement yesterday oh the joy of city/county lines and a neighbor. Been trying to wrap my head around some gopro editing to remove some fluff. No easy feat for someone not to tech savy. Reg or Randy what do you use for this? Don't wish to bore anyone by having them to long.

All things heavenly rarify to air. Trèès pŕoduce that heavenly air. Breathe air and take care.

We did a big pine yesterday. Last lift was about 12,000kg - 26,000lb.

20141126_12t_pine.jpg

Had to cut it into two bits for subsequent transport.

20141126_hillbilly.jpg

I'd never had to organise so many people for a single job but at least it gave me the opportunity to watch the action most of the day.

Had a bit of a close call yesterday. Felling a cypress stem @ about 8ft on spikes. It was just over 3ft @ felling height & I was removing a 20ft top.
We knew that it had an included union, but I really underestimated how far down it came. I put in a really deep face cut to get it moving, but as soon as I started my back-cut things started to go wrong. One side of the trunk headed off at 45* to the lay causing me to almost soil my pants!!
In hind-site I got lucky as if I had felled it from the floor I would have been in the line of fire with no-where to go.....
Live & learn I guess

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 47
Good you're okay, Pete. Yikes!

Seems a dangerous place if such a chunk bounces funny when you're low down in the spar.

damn. Thanks for showing us the pics.

Got the go ahead on a Big Dead Red Pine and a mid size maple that had it's roots fried by lightning today. Maybe next week I can tackle them. All froze up with feet of snow up here, so I should be able to get the bulldozer in to pull the wood out afterwords. Neighbors are gone for the season, so I might just crash it into their yard and then pick up the pieces. . .

DSC04206.JPG

DSC04208.JPG

Happy turkey day tomorrow everyone!!

Good on you Rajan. Yep, it's got to be a tough row to hoe. Sounds like you've reached another stage in grieving for your friend.

In 98 I met the young college student who caused the accident that killed my Dad and Brother. Dude looked haunted at the time. It was just after his court hearing where I asked that he go free and just have to pay for the funeral so he could go back to finish school. Judge & prosecutor were pretty taken aback but quite pleased with my statements. Told me most people show up looking for the most revenge they can get. I just put myself in his shoes and couldn't imagine letting myself live after I'd caused something like that.

Thank you! His passing is kinda hitting me hard today, not sure why but there it is.
I can not image what you went through but can feel your pain. It's a relief not carrying the bourdon of the at fault but knowing you don't hold it against them is freeing, weather they can move forward or not is on them. I hope that sounded right?
98 is the year I graduated from collage.

Sounds right on the money to me.

college...54 credit hours and still don't know if I'll ever decide on a major:lol::cry:

Went out to a clearing today that another crew had started. Took half the day to clean up the mess. Stuff laying every direction. Everything that was left standing was leaning over nieghboring houses. Mostly willows on a creek bank that has been flooding a lot due to the newly developed shopping plaza upstream. It's just a slow process having to set ropes and resharpen saws every few trees. The good thing is a buddy of mine owns a farm less than a mile away and wants all the chips. Got home and loaded 3 cord of wood( miserable task) to take over to my parents early in the morning. I figured since the whole family will be there it won't take long to stack.

That's a heavy post about your dad and brother, Dave. I'm sorry that terrible thing happened.

Sometimes the easiest way to forgive is to be able to relieve your stress by taking someone and throwing them to the ground. Looking down at them they appear so pitiful that it can take your anger away. Lots of people are quite helpless when it comes down to it, really don't have a clue.

Back