How'd it go today?

I would guess the wedge is there out of habit, and the tree had a strong lean to the lay, needed no wedging, so it went over early despite the thick hinge.

That would make sense, for sure. I was thinking dead might not have as much weight to pull itself over, and also might be a brittle hinge. We are spoiled with doug-fir hinge reliability.

Chris you crack me up. I have done so. A particular guy who was all brawn constantly pulled over hard resulting in tip first landings. Boss told me wear him out on some pulls he would catch on, never did to my knowledge.

I had a boss who did it on purpose regularly. He was a dink in may other ways too so it was just part of the bargain...:|:

2 hrs into 18 lb turkey on my big green egg
Brined 24 hrs/ stuffed with pears and apple/ slathered with butter/ rosemary /thyme/cheap white wine
2.5 hours to go

image.jpg image.jpg

Wow, tasty!!

My first bird is in the oven.

I think it was my first pot of soup made from scratch last night, too.

Nice vids!

Considered a BMG for the dingo?

BMG would still not pull stuff bigger than what I am yanking around. Little Dingo can only lift and pull so much. If I could get enough together at a time for a prentice to come in..... Mill would be nice as well.... I doubt I would be able to afford something that would take a 42" log though :|:
No one interested in buying a log up here for the most part anyway when it comes to ponderosa.

Stephen, are you working hard to beat those dead trees over with that thick of a hinge?
No... She just went. Wedge was more a tale (needle) and in case of wind.
Each 16" round at that diameter of green ponderosa was on the edge of what the mini will even lift on that terrain. So a fulcrum etc idea .... probably not a possibility.. Also to what end if you can't load the thing onto anything you have to haul it with .... :D
I would guess the wedge is there out of habit, and the tree had a strong lean to the lay, needed no wedging, so it went over early despite the thick hinge.
YUP!
Sometimes I leave a thick hinge and make workers pull REAL hard. It's my guilty pleasure.

LMAO! :lol:

I really don't want to get too deep into iron and run a logging out fit. I harvest some that will work in our mill for what we are going to do. I will eventually up the iron for longer and wider logs, but 30" or so is fine. Even 24". I will take some pictures of what we are doing for sheds and what not here. Eventually 16 footers would be nice. :)

You all know the look guys on the rope give you. Face beet red, knees trembling. Meanwhile you just snip snip every so slowly waving your finger at them like "ok go ahead, pull it right over". 30 seconds later your still tapping the trigger and checking corners still waving that finger like "go on. It'll go now"

Power out at the house and farm. First backup generator is smoked, second broke two pto shafts.Using the neighbors now. Hooked up to my house and flipped the transfer switch and blew every bulb in the basement and burned a circulator relay of the side of the furnace, as in foot high flames. Whoever wired the generator cord got the ground and one of hots backwards.:O

Good god Dave! Lucky the damn house did not burn down. Watch it to be sure, fire can smolder in walls and ceilings for a while and then cook up. Dont be afraid to call the Fire Dept. They will use a Thermal Camera to see if there is fire in a wall.

I just got back from a car wreck, both of them are going to survive it looks like. Holidays seem to be the worst time. Dont take a chance on bad roads. You might get to meet some of my brothers and sisters.

Be careful everyone. Bad roads, everywhere it seems. Watch for carbon monoxide buildup if you are snowed in. Take your survival gear if you are traveling. Keep your windows cracked if you go in the ditch and get snowed in. Check your smoke detectors.

DONT BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN WITH A TURKEY FRYER! Follow the directions!

Everyone have a safe and happy Thanksgiving!

Ya, Stephan, didn't mean for ginormous logs, but more small mill suitable sized logs.

What will become of all that big pondo? Burnpile?

a8758a961fdd2e899270026a031badaa.jpg
fwiw...walking a log with a fulcrum.

This pivoting of a piece of tree on a piece of tree is one of my favorite tricks.

This works to roll logs out and steer them. The taper of the log will often mean it wants to roll to one side, rather than perpendicular to the long axis. A periodic roll onto a branch piece allows you to straighter out the path of the log, or even spin it 90* around a corner, or 180* if you need the butt at the other end, as I did once for loading in a tight space with a kboom.

If you're hand rolling, just cut a ramp into the pivot piece and/ or use momentum. Spin it easily, and roll on. While not as easy as pulling levers, it works well, and could have a place in getting logs out of a wet area, with low ground pressure, overall.

Stephan, I wasn't suggesting a grapple would increase your payload capability. just noticed your tying brush to forks and dragging it with a rope.

I will be buying a brush grapple rake soon Dave. What we mostly do is use the rope for more capacity on the forks for longer drags. So you stack the shat out of the forks to the point of "can't see shit" and run a rope over the top to hold it to the forks. Then run backwards until you can steer into the pile. Unclip lashing and stack high. Compress... repeat. Brush grapple with simplify this and help rake the ground for clean up.
If I a mini ex like Carl right now, I would be in 7th heaven.

Sean, I can balance a log like that on my forks and move the whole enchilada. 850-1000#. So a lot of stuff that is 28" DBH or smaller can be 10,12-16 feet. Depending.
When 16" thick at 36-42 Dia weighs in at 600-800 lbs, it is fire wood. We quarantine it for the better part of the year under black 3-4 mil plastic. Let it get hot and let it freeze. Brush all gets burned or chipped. This time of year, now with cooler temps, we burn it. Cheaper and faster.
Trying to burn green pine this size takes several tries and often into the next year. Fire kills the little buggers left inside though. The black plastic seems to work well in our hot dry climate. Starve them, heat them, freeze them. Little buggers don't do well with all that.
The fulcrum idea is not new to use. We do use it from time to time... My favourite use of it is the wood splitter. Just take a little piece of firewood that is round and set it at the foot of a vertical set splitter. You can move a larger heavy round for splitting this way one man. Flop, slide, turn...
If I felt the wood would be worth all that, I could bring the Alaskan mill up and start trimming the log down for planking it out. It just is not worth it when we are getting so much of it. I can concentrate our efforts on more manageable logs as we move the fleet forward into more capable material handling. Still sad to see a good log go to waste though. The brush is our biggest choke factor current, so we need like a 90 or 95 XP. Our burning here is getting more and more restrictive.
Now... IF they approve a bio plant here in our county... I am seriously going to have to step things up much bigger. Then clearing jobs and tree jobs turn into bio fuels. They are trying to get one here, but CA is brain dead and can't see past the smoke of days gone by.
CARB is a tough one to get anything approved by. They hate anything that makes carbon.

Thanks a perfect application at the splitter, which I could have used recently.

Is like to figure out how to make a sooner for the round, once a huge round is in place.

Any genius tricks for that. Sorta like a lazy Susan.

I would get a steel to welded up for the purpose if someone has a design to work from.

Back