How'd it go today?

Thank you brother! He was a good guy, kind of a meatball, but a good guy, smart as hell graduated with a 4.4 in high school, and funny.

Ripped a cat down out of a tree by accident today. Mittens got out on a lanky Norway maple limb with crap for a good tie in point. So I set a rope up about 40 feet onto the end of the limb right by him. Figured I'd give him/her a limb shaking that he/she would never forget. The idea was that the cat would run back into the tree or jump. Well, I snapped the limb. Mittens came crashing down and landed on his/her belly. Seemed alright other then a little shaken. The cats owner almost fainted. The dumb cat spread all its legs out and landed on its belly. What cat does that?

Ripped a cat down out of a tree by accident today. Mittens got out on a lanky Norway maple limb with crap for a good tie in point. So I set a rope up about 40 feet onto the end of the limb right by him. Figured I'd give him/her a limb shaking that he/she would never forget. The idea was that the cat would run back into the tree or jump. Well, I snapped the limb. Mittens came crashing down and landed on his/her belly. Seemed alright other then a little shaken. The cats owner almost fainted. The dumb cat spread all its legs out and landed on its belly. What cat does that?

LOL that's pretty darn funny!

I had one do similar..this one bailed out at 40 feet, landed half on sidewalk, half in yard. The cat was mostly feral per the owner but wanted it rescued. I was not happy about having to grab it. I was just above it when the cat jumped...she splayed out like a chutist in a flying squirrel suit...a very distinctive attempt to flair out and slow the descent. It sounded like a watermelon busting when she hit...took off running. The vet checked the cat later, all was OK.

40 feet...splat...and OK? Crazy.

Check came in the mail and package came via UPS today.:) Should have enough Buckwheat pancake mix to make it through 'till Spring now.:/:

Spent several hours checking out cameras...I want to upgrade from the little point & shoot I cooked in the truck this Summer. Wow, I am completely baffled...no idea what to even look for or how to compare them...I'm so behind the times, and have such an inadequate digital/photographic education I just get lost in all the descriptions.

40 feet...splat...and OK? Crazy.

You remember the Time Life video series of Unbelievable Events or something it was called, the quote "bounced twice and lived to tell the tale"? When the guys parachute didn't open. That's what reminds me of that cat story.

Went up the hill to check on a property HO wanted us to take the infested tops of the pines to see if we could save them.. Dead in two weeks with more dying around them. More dead up the mountain. More dead surrounding the property. Some over 130 feet tall. Sadness set in. I called it a day off. Called the customer to give them the good news. Looks like we will be taking down probably more than 1/2 the pines on 40 acres. This sux.

Wow Steph, how many trees you figure are involved?

Truck is all tuned up & ready to be picked up from shop...ouch that bill stings a bit but worth it to have it running right for once...they told me I baby it too much and to work it harder :|:

TreeStuff order is on its way to the recipient...:/:

Ride is here to pick up truck...

Feels like tree Ebola.
Dave... This one property will lose over 100 trees. Not counting any oaks. Just pines. Each 15-40 acre lot around them...... the same. Our county alone will see millions dead. This year... You can see whole hill sides of oaks and pines dead now. Especially on the SW facing slopes.

50 percent of this grove is dead or dying... since this picture was taken. Several went brown in a few weeks.
DSCF0046.jpg
These behind my truck are all dead now... We took more than 30 trees already if you see those browned ones left rear of truck. More have died up there now.
DSCF0048.jpg
Up the hill went from one dead and a couple looking a tad off to over a dozen. Some on a five acre parcel above this one. On the BLM next to these properties, it looks like the whole mountain is dying off on one side when you drive from over the other side of the hill.

Attachments

• DSCF0077.jpg
    DSCF0077.jpg
    223.5 KB · Views: 42
Egads! What a shame.

Same thing affecting the Oaks and conifers? Is it all pines or a specific species?

You mentioned they were infested...is this the Pine beetle you've referred to before?

Pine beetle would be one of them.
The drought has stressed the trees to their limit. They can't defend themselves against insect or pathogen.
Over crowded, it transfers quick.
All the conifers. They are in the worst shape. As far as oaks, live oaks mostly. Blue oaks are doing better as they require less water. They also conserve energy and go dormant sooner when water is scarce. Black oaks are holding their own as are the whites. But you see them fall off if they have mistletoe or real soil issues.
Trees that have had a good water source during development are the first to go.. Creek and pond sides. These are on a run off area with a pond.

Mother nature is doing some thinning. We stopped logging and did not let it burn... So Mother Earth is gonna sort it all out for us. She lends to the extreme a bit however.

OK, might call my lawyer...think I have a whiplash case from accelerating in my newly tuned up truck.

She's purrin' like a mountain lion now, but think I might have to install a headrest.:lol:

Had a real slow day, week, and possibly gonna turn into month. Got both plow trucks all finished and fixed just in time for everything else to start breaking. Took a new stihl ms362 on trade and found out it needs crank bearings, so that was awesome. But gotta keep going. Should be light at the end of the tunnel, hopefully lol

Back