How'd it go today?

Awesome day today. New guy is going to work out really well I think. I worked the ground all day with no mini though and my muscles are talking to me. Just bucket work for his first day but I wanted to see how he handled a saw and whatnot, he's good. My wife thinks it's going to be hard on my ego. Lol.

It's always good to expose yourself to other talented people in your industry, Justin. Hopefully both of you come out ahead as a result of this relationship. :thumbup:

Good day. Topping, high-stumping and falling nasty Lombardy Poplars for Boeing's Duamish plant in Tukwilla WA. Poplars are nasty. I smashed a "Property of Boeing" sign, like an idiot on Saturday, but, on the whole, it was no big deal. I kinda suck at falling. No intuition whatsoever for gunning when there's sweep in the trunk, side lean, wind load, or crazy limb weight.

We've been doing o.k. though--topping pull-trees with a rope invariably into the wind. Everybody safe. All good.

It's always good to expose yourself to other talented people in your industry, Justin. Hopefully both of you come out ahead as a result of this relationship. :thumbup:

Yah it's all good, I'll be showing him a few tricks. His climbing kit is very basic, but I have no doubt he can put it to good use. A few little tricks that I know thanks mainly to everyone here is going to go along way to making his climbing alot easier.

Well I have run into a non paying basterd and a quick talking non treeman wanta be. All in one week. I really wish I could legally whoop the thef's ass! I guess I will get over it after a while, but I want to figure out how to get my money in a tactful way.

My day was pretty until the clouds rolled in.... Then the camera battery died. :dontknow:

Kids did great and ended up right before and after lunch on a black diamond run. :D
Snow was pretty slushy so It was a good day to introduce them to some steeper terrain ;)
I had two dads helping me also..... Made my job easy peasy.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    799.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    507.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0257.jpg
    IMG_0257.jpg
    901.1 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    596.7 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    537.2 KB · Views: 2
Next Monday (weather permitting) is the last ski day for the home school kids. Weather is warming up pretty quick now and I'm about to get real busy anyway. So no Mammoth or Tahoe for me this year.

Oh Dennis, you have my deepest heartfelt sympathies. The one time I had a kidney stone remains etched in my memories as the most painful event of my life.

I guess the good news is that once you get past this then you will have no reason to ever fear anything else in your life. If you can laugh it off then you are invincible. 8)

I saw a guy do that in a pub carpark once, I knew the pain.

I had one when I was 32, stupid doctors were treating me for something else. I finally found a good one after four quacks and months of pain and had it cut out, 35 stitches and it was about my thumbnail size. About six months later they started that Lithotripsy stuff.

Took down a nice Magnolia today, about 40 years old. A good job but a real shame, it was a good tree but clogging the sewer.:(

I did the worst removal of my short career today (I started climbing when I was 18 and I am 24 now, I have only been full time for about a year though). Anyway it was a 32'' dbh stone dead pin oak that hung over 2 sheds and a carport. No bucket access so I had to climb it and rig it. I saw it yesterday and it kept me up all night thinking about it. There was no sound wood to even put my gaffs in so I just took my time working my way up the tree. I kept all my rigging really small and once I got to the wood I was able to start bombing some of it out. The trunk had all the heart wood rotted out and some parts of it exploded once it hit the ground. It was definitely a relief getting it on the ground and explained to the homeowners to not wait so long to remove a dead tree next time!

Most of us have had similar experiences, glad you got it down safely. It really pushes the boundaries of your comfort level, doesn't it?

Good one. That is a good feeling to finish a danger tree successfully.

I went and collected my money from the dead beat guy. Glad so I can move on.

Got out of the shop today. Burning brush. Boring. So boring I took out three 18" white oak, and three other assorted stumps, cleaned up. 32minutes 48 seconds killed. Back to watching brush burn. Cleaned up the wash out at the bottom of the driveway. Another 20 minutes. Back to the brush pile. Tomorrow: brush burning.:lol:

Did some more cutting on water company property today. Another 8 hrs. Fun fun.

Got home, and hauled a load of wood to my house. My buddy ended up being there blowing the leaves because he was bored, so I helped him finish up. He's got this neat Toro thingy with a pto on front you can put attachments on. He had a big blower on it, thing was pretty cool. Smashed down the dumpster contents with some logs and the loader too, compacted that sucker.

Currently burning some more random crap wood from the house. The outside it starting to shapen up just by cleaning up the previous owners crap.

I'm loving the time change too!

The time change is awesome. That and the weather improving and I'll be back on my shed frame project here at home soon. The new truck goes on the road Thursday, and I've already started packing tools in there. Much nicer to have everything laid out so you can see it, instead of in the big orange job box.

Back