How'd it go today?

Yesterdays trim. Removed some giant deadwood outta this White Oak. Tree is about 50"dia and completely hollow for the first thirty feet. It's really old so folks wanted to reduce chances of trunk failure. I reduced the tips a bit as well.

Jonesred, I got some "crappy" visuals on that ! Ick & bummer. Glad it was only the lid that failed & not the entire top, OMG.
No Bivy, did you get to leave the brush on the ground from that big ol' oak ? Quite a leaner there, ey ?

No Bivy, did you get to leave the brush on the ground from that big ol' oak ? Quite a leaner there, ey ?

Oh yeah, homeowner said they could handle, I said sweet, cuz it was a steep ass slope!!!! I lowered out from the tips and was almost 60' away from the trunk. Fun climbing though.

Turned down 2500 dollars of tree work because two of the large removals were covered in dormant poison ivy, I hated to do it and really need the money - but doctor bills after climbing and chipping that stuff would eat up all my profit, not to mention time off to swell up and turn red and lumpy - SUCKS - an afternoon of taxes now..........

Let's see:

Classes done for the week- check
Cap and Gown fitted- check
Announcements ordered- check
Oil changed- check
Car cleaned- check
packing and laundry- meh It'll get done. :D

Spring break- :D:D here and accounted for.

Jonesred, I got some "crappy" visuals on that ! Ick & bummer. Glad it was only the lid that failed & not the entire top, OMG.

It was an old type tank, the lid was the top.

So yes, it was a mess. One set of rear duals completely in the tank.

Rescued a cat this morning. This was my second cat rescue and this time the cat cooperated. When I got up next to him he looked at me like "dude what took you so long".

Glad to hear you got your truck running again. Is that the one with the 8.2 Detroit like mine? I've got 1100 miles on my new motor so far and she is running great. Cool story on the cat rescue. I wouldn't mind getting one or two of those per year. :)

Let's see:

Classes done for the week- check
Cap and Gown fitted- check
Announcements ordered- check
Oil changed- check
Car cleaned- check
packing and laundry- meh It'll get done. :D edit: done
fishing rod: ready
tackle, targets, ammo- get in the morning
shooting glasses- see above comment
bait and 12 pack- when I get there

Spring break- :D:D here and accounted for.

edited for changes. :D

Yes it's the 8.2 like yours and I think that it doesn't sound quite right. It idles a little rough but it doesn't smoke and it seems kind of weak. I took it to a diesel repair outfit and they couldn't find anything wrong. The car thing was actually pretty cool. I'm not a cat person but this cat was pretty cool. He came out on the limb a little towards me and when I grabbed him he had second thoughts about coming with me and grabbed a hold of a branch. Well I just kind of drug him off of the branch and held him close to me with one hand while I operated the bucket controls with the other. As long as I talked to him he was OK but as soon as I stopped talking to him the claws would start working their way into me. It was actually an OK job about a 5 minute drive from my house and it took about 5 minutes and paid $125. Oh I forgot to tell you the cat had been up there for 3 days.

Steve, my truck was a bit lethargic at first also. When I had about 500 miles on it I had to go do a job about 90 miles down the road. Running it at full throttle for an hour and a half each way really helped seat the rings and it got much stronger after that. BTW, full throttle is about 62 mph when the governor is working, sometimes I can get it up to 66-67. :lol:

If I ever get called on a cat rescue, I think my Bob Moore rope bag will be pressed into extra duty service. Cats can be spooky regardless, and worse when they have been stuck in a tree for 3 days...

Turned down 2500 dollars of tree work because two of the large removals were covered in dormant poison ivy, I hated to do it and really need the money - but doctor bills after climbing and chipping that stuff would eat up all my profit, not to mention time off to swell up and turn red and lumpy - SUCKS - an afternoon of taxes now..........

I have always had good luck using a pole pruner to cut poison oak vines and then pull them out prior to climbing the tree.

Tuesday night Burnham visited us in Boise. It was great meeting him and we all enjoyed his company for the evening. Burnham was nice enough to read Haley a few books before she had to go to bed.

Wednesday morning my alarm didn't go off and I was awakened by the taxi cab company telling me that the cab I reserved for a 4:50 am trip to the airport was waiting outside. I jumped into my clothes and ran out. At the airport my flight was indefinitely postponed due to the plane missing a part. Evidently, something had fallen off of it on its last flight. I got re-routed through Salt Lake City, UT and Phoenix, AZ before arriving in San Diego. In San Diego I hopped in my Mother-in-laws car and proceeded to drive her to Boise. She bought a house around the block from us and needed help driving up. We drove to St. George Utah before stopping for the night.

This morning I ate a crappy continental breakfast and stuffed myself in the Honda for another 600 miles of driving. We got snowed on in a few places and faced near white out conditions a few times but arrives in Boise around 8 pm. I don't even think the Mother in Law noticed the few times the car started sliding on ice.

Tomorrow morning I have breakfast with Justin/Stumper.

Burnham, then Stumper...very cool. It's good to see TH folks linking up.

Oh...something fell off the plane!?!?!? That's WACK!!

That sounds like a hectic few days Darin. It sounds like Burnham was good company (as would be expected!) and I'm sure Justin will be more of the same.

Yeah, sounds pretty hectic OM. That's quite the drive from San Diego to Boise. I'll bet your daughter and wife will love having their Grandmother/Mother close by. I can smell the cookies baking from here. She is aware that unlike San Diego it does get below 60 degrees Farenheit in Boise from time to time. I had to go to my daughter's dorm room in San Francisco the other night after work and bring some stuff back here and got home at 3 am. Then had to get up for work at the usual time. Still not recovered.

I had a real nice visit with Darin and his wife and daughter. I was made to feel most welcome, even though he had the MIL trip on tap for the following morning. We had a pleasant meal out, then visiting at their home. A good time.

My return drive from Boise to home near Portland was a bit of a trial...from Farewell Bend to Pendleton the freeway was either ice or packed-to-a-glaze snow, about a third of the 400 mile trip. But I made it fine and dandy...I think Darin's journey must have been far more difficult.

It's been pissing down with rain here for the past 24 hours or so, and the 'curtain drain' around my basement can't keep up, therefore my basement is now under an inch or so of water.......GREAT!! Saturated carpets, sodden skirting boards and I'm still waiting for the waterproofing guys to get their sorry asses round here to FIX IT. At least their work was garunteed, so no financial out lay is expected. Replacing the carpet underlay and getting the water damage clean up guy here is a different matter...... Have a good weekend everyone!!

Back