How'd it go today?

Squish, I go from my MS200 right to my MS440. I don't think I will use the MS260 in the tree.

Everything I've climbed residentially I've gotten away with just the 200 and then drop/pull the spar and buck on the ground, but the old highlead climbing ya went straight from the hatchett to the 272 Husky, yuck!

NICE!!! THATS one BIG ASS CRASH sound. love it Leon. too cool man. the only Albizzia we see around here are like 15 feet tall, and everyone dances around them when frost approaches..

very cool amigo. :)

If a tree falls in the woods, IT does make noise!! Look like an awesome tree to climb leon. Why was it coming down?

Made some "grocery money" today, one handed:/: . Sorry Gary, I had to chip it. About a acre of bamboo left, no worries. In fact, on the other side, a homeless guy has a fort built and is living there. Nice! totally private. We cleared the apartment complex side. I guess they are worried about JasperT.:D :lol: stiches are healing nicely.

bamboo is just about the worst thing you can chip, worse than palm fronds. It's tough as nails and dulls the knives quickly. It also shreds into stringy pieces that wrap around the disc shaft and can throw out the bearings. A week of bamboo chipping with a Vermeer 1250 and you're looking at a $2000 repair bill within a month or two.

bamboo is just about the worst thing you can chip, worse than palm fronds.

YEAH, John, what Skwerl said!!!! chipping bamboo...grumble, grumble. :evil:

And it looked like some very decent sized boo, too. But since they still left some I reckon it's OK...and I guess you do gotta eat.

Hand is looking great...keep doing what you are doing.

LEON

what an awesome tree to climb...you were TINY in that thing. And that limb you cut was a huge honker.

Thanks for going to the trouble to film it and show it.

bamboo is just about the worst thing you can chip, worse than palm fronds. It's tough as nails and dulls the knives quickly. It also shreds into stringy pieces that wrap around the disc shaft and can throw out the bearings. A week of bamboo chipping with a Vermeer 1250 and you're looking at a $2000 repair bill within a month or two.

Drum style chipper eats it like there is no tommorow. It never even cycled the auto feed, chips ar ok too, A few stringy pieces.
Gary, don't worry that grove is a live and well. I think they are worried about folks hiding in it, which it is a great hiding spot. I had no trouble getting out of site to pee! Hahahahahaa.

Its always great to have a good hidy-pee-spot.

Nice grove of bamboo. Gary could fight off an entire ninja army with that much boo.

Between yesterday and today, I had to take CPR, first aid, and then TCIA EHAP course. The EHAP course was awesome, lots of good classroom training anyways. I'll be flying a bucket for Erie County's storm damage cleanup efforts. Easier than climbing, but I'd rather climb in the parks away from the wires.
I was hoping to be able to get out of the CPR and first aid class with my National Registry EMT, Pre-hospital trauma life support, and basic life support through the American Heart Association, but they wanted CPR and first aid cert. through the red cross.

leon, that's a big one! you should have called me for that one, I would have taken more pics and film for yah... where in the arboretum was the albeiza, it almost looks like the ones near the entrance. Cheers!

jp:D

Jon, that tree is down in the stream by the Ethnobotany Garden. It's kind of a long term project. Whenever, the area isn't being used and I have time I'll drop another leader and clean it up. The next leader will probably be significantly larger, and also a bit sketchy as it will be falling into a nearby ficus on a steep slope and I'm not really sure which way it will fall or roll. Not really looking forward to that, actually...

I was going to have my groundie send up the spurs after SRTing up there, but once I got to where I was going it seemed easy enough to make that one cut without them. I'll probably be using them for the rest of the tree, though. I thought about spurring up the trunk but I don't have a flipline that long (over 6' DBH).

If the trunk is sound it'll probably be used for make the hull of a traditional Hawaiian open ocean canoe.

My old California 18' wire core flipline isn't doing me much good here in Idaho. Do you want it Leon?

Damn that was cool Leon. Lot bigger than you'll ever find in a lifetime of treework in Austin.

Stay safe. Nothing beats that feeling when you realize you are committed and then all goes smooth.

Rock on!!!

My old California 18' wire core flipline isn't doing me much good here in Idaho. Do you want it Leon?

I really appreciate the offer Darin, but you should keep that flipline. It'll bring back memories someday I'm sure, and you never know when you might need it again.

I don't often work with trees this large, but if I do really need a super long flipline than I can just make one, or order one if I want a steel core and make the university pay for it.

Between yesterday and today, I had to take CPR, first aid, and then TCIA EHAP course.....but they wanted CPR and first aid cert. through the red cross.

Dang, Jonny...you have so much advanced training they must be afraid you forgot the basics. I think it's very cool that you have the training you do as a First Responder...a real asset for all wherever you are.

well, headed out to a pruning job this AM, got halfway there and the snow was 3" deep, slushy and slippery, they closed the two roads that I could have taken to the site (both big hills headed down) and I decided to forget it for today. had a slow drive through the arboretum and then did two bids before coming home.

Endless hedging, my arms are killing me. Tomorrow I get to take down a medium sized silver maple. Climbing a tree will be a relief.

Back