How'd it go today?

Started subbing yesterday for the company that got the Erie County storm cleanup contract. Our crew is repairing storm damaged trees in county parks.
Just up and down and up and down, all day. No cleaning up, and so far no rigging. Yesterday and today, we worked on cleaning up hazards around hiking trails. Friggin nightmare hauling all that stuff waay the hell out in the woods through 2 feet of snow and ice. Tomorrow I'm gonna bring a sled and drag all my stuff around on it.
I'm beat, feel like I've climbed a mile today.

yesterday, snow damaged hedge work, I told the client, it wont be good but it will be better... sigh. and they had declined my pruning estimate last fall, might have minimized the damage that happened! silly clients.
:)

some pruning, some arbortie... and now some patience.

today was three seperate pruning jobs. one with five small trees, one with a hedge (the neighbor wanted to have their side of my previous clients hedge, not the snow damaged one, done too) then a large property for some shade trees along the drive and a number of shrubs in the beds. A good day for billable hours ;) :thumbup:

Good work on those hedges...they look a lot better, for sure. Nice landscape shots..the sky, lighting and shadows make a nice contrast.

a few pics from the other day that the customer finally sent me.8) Remve some poplars leaning over a neighbors shop that could I guess one day blow over or shed limbs, and then put one poor old weeping willow out of it's misery to make way for the pool this spring.

Last edited:
Very nice pics Paul. Seeing a lot of hedges badly damaged from all that snow around here.

Tree Guy wants to know what kind of hedge trimmer your black one is.

Treeguys wife.
its an Echo 260 I think. multi position extendo hedge trimmers, about 725$ or so. a decent unit for hard to reach stuff, I prefer the Stihls that Ben (my helper) is using if I can reach the stuff, the 30" bar and bigger motor is more funner.

That's the ms660 that I got this fall with a 36" bar chisel tip skip. Besides that I have a couple 046's and I'm liking the big saw. It seems a little rough vibration wise for a Stihl but it's not like I'm putting 8 tanks a day through it or nothing so I can deal with it. My 046's I run 24" bars on so the extra bit of bar is nice on the odd big one, but honestly if it's remotely big I'll pull it out I like the power.

Here's a pic from when I got it. All of my Stihl's except the ms200t are equipped with the arctic kit which includes heated and handles and a heated carb. The heated handles I like for the obvious reason and the heated carb I beleive leads to better reliability in extremely cold or wet conditions, never had a problem running in the wet or cold yet since I switched to the arctic kits.8)

Good work Paul, its not quite a silk purse but it isn't a sows ear either.

Squisher, its good to see you. Looks like you're squishy in the middle like me.

While I was buying a new MS260 today to replace at least one of my non functional saws, the head of a very large subdivision called me saying he got my number from the BBB and wanted to see if I could give him a bid for removing 50 or so willows that are dead and declining. I just happen to have time in my bidding schedule tomorrow to check that out. This may be the job that pushes up the timetable for buying a chipper. I am more worried about going too low on this bid than high. I am one of the more affordable tree services in the area. I have to do something about that.

If they are big trees, it will be almost too big of a job for me at this point. I don't want to expand too quick.

can you bring someone in from out of town and rent a chipper and dump bins or something? if the money is there, it might be worth taking the chance, there are good folks here that might be able to help you out. At the least, go and have a look tomorrow, thats all good.

I will entertain all possibilities. There is not enough money in Boise tree work to bring people from too far away. It might be a good job to call in Avery/Happy Tree and see what he can do.

Squisher, its good to see you. Looks like you're squishy in the middle like me.

Ahh that's just my winter insulation, umm and spring, summer, and fall I guess too. Actually since I left the bush over three years ago I've gained in stature so to speak, been steadily dropping though this last year. Burgers and beer can't seem to break those habits. :D

That's the ms660 that I got this fall with a 36" bar chisel tip skip. .....but honestly if it's remotely big I'll pull it out I like the power.

I thought it looked familiar...I have the 650 with 36" bar...I have used it on 3 trees lately and really like having it. The last was an approx 24" dbh pine, last Sunday...probably could have done it with my MS 290 but the 650 did it fine...especially good for stumps.

I got to do a little "pruning" on this albizia today. If you look closely you can see me in the first photo.

Youtube vid will follow soon.

yah I'd dare say that the 650 did a better job of it than a 290 would, I've only got four saws I run I go right from my ms200t to the 046 I have been kicking around the idea of getting a inbetween saw but I've been so impressed with the 200 that I don't think I'll need to. Once ya move to a rear handle I really don't find the 046 to be a unweildly powerhead I've got 16" or 20" bars that I'll run on them. With saws I'd rather be overpowered than underpowered anyday.:thumbup:

Squish, I go from my MS200 right to my MS440. I don't think I will use the MS260 in the tree.

Darin, there was no branch lowering involved. The only reason that I can't fell the tree in one piece is that it would fall across a stream and get hung up in a decent sized banyan, which would be a hell of a mess to clean up. One of the ropes you see is an access line I used to SRT up there and the other is my regular climbing line. We're doing this removal in stages, one or two major leaders at a time, because the area has to be cleaned quickly so that it can be used by schoolkids.

Here's a short vid. Youtube vid quality always sucks compared to the original, but what can you do?

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhugOAOQUMw"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LhugOAOQUMw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Back