How'd it go today?

Busy, Busy.

Orchard pruning. View pruning. Hazard reduction pruning, building clearance pruning. Chip onsite for mulch.

More orchard pruning tomorrow. Stump grinding with new upgraded greenteeth. Chip/ stump grinding material onsite for mulch.

Had a bid today for 7 climbing removals, put on ground only. Work it in as I feel like it. Took a tree off the folks house while they were in Hawaii a few weeks back. They're waiting until May to get a roofer in to repair the damage, due to backlogs!!! Now they're being pro-active on some other trees. Their latino landscapers will do the clean-up. We'll also fix the landscapers' orchard pruning that looks a lot like rounding over everything like a shrub.

Weather and radar called for snow all night. My gut told me it wasn't coming but I still had to get up at 2:00 and 4:00 to check. Good times. Not a flake of snow overnight.

I'm not a napper so a broken sleep is just lost sleep for me. I may have a day to look after some stuff around the homestead which will be nice. My shop looks like a bomb went off in it and then someone put the flames out with oil. Lol.

Heated cab on the D-8, Jim? My father said in '69 or so our road had to be opened up with a D-8. Had to rebuild all the fences in the spring.

Mine too along the public road. A lot less to deal with then you lot though. Still a pita, this year the grader driver winged things over a little excessively IMO. Does your grader have a wing Jim? D8 cat for snow moving, that's serious snow! Our highways/public roads are all truck and grader, and then they bring in a big super loader with a wing on it if things get to built up.

No wing on the patrol Justin. Right now it would not matter.

The snow is so hard that you can drive on it with a tractor.....breaking through once in a while.

I watched the County plow our bus route out yesterday.....hit a drift with his wing and it shot him over into the opposite ditch.

Thankfully the snow was so hard in the ditch he did not get stuck.

I have about a 12 foot wide path through the road....some places wider.

I will have to take the D8 and push the snow away at right angles from the center line. Slow work.

That sounds like it'll take forever. I know what you mean about snow setting up hard though. And I too have seen highways trucks kicked right sideways from hitting things. Now up here the norm is anti-icing sprays and chemicals mixed with salt and sand. So when they want to they can soften the roads/sides up pretty good. But we don't get the extended bitter cold like you get there, sounds like you're set right up like cement. Atleast you got the tools to do the job. How many miles you gotta do like that?

Haha! I had never seen one of those before....several videos on the internet. Cool machine!

Probably not. The State has huge trucks that cant get through right now.

Our cows are on a road that has been closed for the last three days. Fortunately another road that leads out south is open and a friend is plowing a cut across road so we can get to the cows.

The State is working on it with a snow blower. Its pretty amazing, but the snow is so hard you have to just chip it out.

If no snow blower, about all you can do is just doze it out like you would dirt.

It will be about 4 miles of road, but the bad drifts are not the entire length.

Sometimes up here, they just abandon the roads. Sometimes deliver groceries with snowmobiles or aircraft.

In 2011 the State went up north with their new snowblower.......they were able to retrieve it in the summer.

12 foot drifts and the snow blower exploded.

Its not that bad this winter here....but it is really bad over west near Browning Montana

Back