How'd it go today?

I remember one nice 70cc Jonsereds saw I squashed with a huge tulip, the starter got smashed out of the saw, the recoil spring went boing out of the saw and was laying all haywire on the ground amidst the broken plastic, it reminded me of what a pocket watch would look like after getting smacked by a sledge hammer.

Another saw that was mortally wounded at the stump had a chunk of metal/plastic broken out of the gas tank while the saw was still running, it lay there idling on the ground as the fuel quickly spilled out, then the of course the idle sped up a bit and it died. Reminded me of a death rattle.

No fun wrecking a saw, but think of all the various times of drops and run-overs that should have killed them but sheer luck allowed no damage at all...

Wasn't I just talking about the logistics of falling the other day.... that the numbers just eventually come up that something is bound to happen ?.. :lol:
Seriously, we were all just happy it was only a saw.

I recall a line ol' D. Douglas Dent tossed out at one or more of my cert. classes under him, something like..."put your head in the lion's mouth enough times, eventually that bastard is likely to bite down hard".

Actually, there aren't near enough cuss words in my paraphrasing of the man to give a proper feel for his way of making a point...but y'all get the idea :).

That right there about sums it up.
Always telling the boys, it's not a matter of if, more a matter of when with the work we have chosen to do.
Best you can do is tip the odds to make the when a little further out.

That moment of " Save the saw, save the saw............frig it , save yourself" is something I've had happen a few times.

Remember the 660 I tore into itty bitty pieces last year by exactly the same method that you used.

Wasn't the first either.

It does happen to all of us,if we work big trees long enough, Stephen.

Next time, just try to kill a Husky instead.:D

When a big tree settles on the bar, keeping that piched as it rolls over the saw, everything inside the saw gets ripped apart.
No rebuild possible, just toss it and buy another.

Sucks about the saw!

Jim: Naw, Canadian, with Slovak parents, but with the WWI and WWII same lands but different governments.

Sean: yup, engine has slots and the disc bearings have slots, just want something to keep the belt from slappin' around and to take up some stretch while operating. Thanks, yeah, I can make things, I just don't always have the coin to do it.

Merry Christmas ya'll, eh!

I saved the Husky... Dave was grateful :lol:
He had shipped his 372 out and it was what I was felling with after Mike used it. Easier than walking all the way down the hill and back up.
I had wedges in and was able to pull the 32" bar out fast when it started to go wrong. Nipped the damn hinge I did with some tightly hammered wedges trying to force the tree up hill. Dead damn tree too. You hear that pop and time to get the fug out. Hollaring at the top of your lungs to clear out. Mikes saw was parked at the bas of a tree down hill from the road we were above. Had to clear the road we did.

In an unrelated scenario, on the Save a Saw, Save Yourself concept, a simple trick for certain situations of a stuck saw being cut out by another saw, that makes sense once you've heard it: have the person pulling on the stuck saw extend the starter cord, giving a safety margin of a few feet over holding the handle, and possibly more working room. You can also tie the starter cord to a bush/ sapling/ stake if you're doing it solo. This can help on a hillside to prevent the saw from tumbling down after, or under the log. Further, a person can attach a rope to the saw and have the person pulling farther away. And, wedges are your friend.

Seems to be needed more on storm damage and felled trees with bad binds and breaks.

FWIW.

In an unrelated scenario, on the Save a Saw, Save Yourself concept, a simple trick for certain situations of a stuck saw being cut out by another saw, that makes sense once you've heard it: have the person pulling on the stuck saw extend the starter cord, giving a safety margin of a few feet over holding the handle, and possibly more working room. You can also tie the starter cord to a bush/ sapling/ stake if you're doing it solo. This can help on a hillside to prevent the saw from tumbling down after, or under the log. Further, a person can attach a rope to the saw and have the person pulling farther away. And, wedges are your friend.

Seems to be needed more on storm damage and felled trees with bad binds and breaks.

FWIW.

Or, just take the power head off.

I've taken the power head off a few times before.
It does require you to stop, calm down and think clearly. A difficult task for me.

Yes. This, when possibly. Not always possibly, if the powerhead has pressure on it, like if the log shifted funny, etc.

You know how people take short cuts sometimes reasonable and sometimes not. Just adds a small trick to the arsenal.

If you've used them for a while and never got a saw stuck......well, I don't believe you.
Ps the rope on the handle is a good idea.

I've never lost a saw on simply getting it stuck.
The 2-3 times have always been on some near apocalyptic event ( feels like that, anyway!) where the wind has broken the hinge and the tree has gone over while I was still cutting.

Good day here today, but lots of folks with wind damage in the State. Power Co. has crews in form 5 other States trying to restore power for several thousand. Feel for 'em being the holiday and all.

I had the oil lamps ready to go after the power flickered here once but never lost it completely.

One tornado reported near Detroit.

I am just relaxing today on Christmas. Last night I did the Santa Run as part of the RFS all the kids were quite excited to see Santa.
Merry Christmas and have a Happy New Year to all. I am looking forward to what the new year brings in work for me.

i should have know better, seems I remember your dad looking for Hungarian peppers and my brain mixed everything up! Well, a person shouldn't underestimate a Slovak either!

Merry Christmas. Did your dad ever find some peppers?

Not yet, going to try ordering some seeds for him next year.

Slovaks are world renown (or at least in the eastern block of Europe) to be the smartest most educated poor people. ;)

Merry Christmas!

Quite a few came here after WW2, I've known a lot. Did a job for Olga last week, Very nice person.:/:

Not WW2 vintage.

You can also tie the starter cord to a bush/ sapling/ stake if you're doing it solo.

I've heard that works. You could also tie it to a branch some how and just get the hell out of there, but I wouldn't know anything about that.

And, wedges are your friend.

I've heard that works as well, just have to remember to take them with you.

Back