How'd it go today?

Even up here I've heard good things about Jasper.

I picked up my latest dana 60 for $400 bucks complete caliper to caliper, but I did end up pretty much having to rebuild it. My 92 sitting in my field has a kingpin dana60 which is the ultimate OBS Ford steering axle imo, except for the pinned brake calipers.

Yesterday: Pruning and small removals in this all day...

unnamed-448.jpg

Today: We busted out a Cottonwood building-clearance, all day job in half a day, and got home to this...

unnamed-450.jpg unnamed-449.jpg

Oh, for a 110' spider lift. Did a couple more things on that cottonwood. Gary's "new" truck shit on him last night and he gave up on it, and had to get it towed this morning. Wasn't the greatest weather this morning, around 11 am it cleared some, and the sun shone. Half a day. Two SRT line. Sorta clusterfucked and tired. No central leader sucks! Got that dead top down tho, today, so I can do some rigging that's going to shake the tree, some. Able to crash land, with the right timing, as the rigging point will be off to the side from the building. Cleared some trees that will allow me to dump a lead. Used my clinometer app. I can't get by with popping all the leaders and dumping the trunk whole, as it will be too tall, so it will be 660 double-cuts in roughly 6' diameter wood, from spurs. Yay! IMG_20151219_155212941_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20151219_155230973_HDR[1].jpg IMG_20151219_160008607[1].jpg

What to do with a big redwood butt? Too big for the community residents to firewood. Poor firewood, too.
I can have it hauled to a greenwaste place, but would rather make some cool things with the idea of selling them. Ideas? IMG_20151218_094803265_HDR[1].jpg

I have a MS 650 with 36" bar...don't think I have ever had it off the ground. I don't envy you at all.

If I take my 290 up on spurs I think I have stepped into another realm...660? Another dimension for me.

I don't envy me, either. The things we do for money...

I'm planning on using a 'magic cut' rather than a 'face-cut' which requires too much precision.

I think that I just figured out a simple, cheap way to make a platform, and be able to install it while having a high TIP .

I just need 4 brackets per cutting position, two per side to hold a board. And a trucker's strap or two. The trucker's strap will reinforce the tree, too.

I already have the steel rectangular tubing welded up for brackets from firewood corners. 3 2x4 tubes, four inches long, welded in the x,y,z axes. Just make the one stick down, the other stick out, and the third tube needs to fit the ratchet strap hooks through, hopefully. Otherwise, new straps.

As with so many trees, the actual size of it becomes more evident as you make my way through the project.

Quite the project, scaffolding sounds just the ticket. Once made I'd think you would find the set up useful on another job and be more efficient setting it up.

It has nothing to do with arborist type stuff .I ordered a radio controlled drone for my mechanicaly inclined 7 year old grandson for his birthday coming up. Some might think he's a bit young, my bet he masters it after a few crashes. Evidently takes after his grandmother;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/xmS-UcPnGGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GOPR0540.jpg

GOPR0522.jpg

Attachments

• GOPR0528.jpg
    GOPR0528.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 57
Thanks Willard. I am kind of fond of it. ha, ya know, I was thinking the other day, for being as close to Canada as I am, I don't think I know one single Canadian face to face! Good thing we can all get together here hey?

Cheers!

Thanks Willard. I was thinking the other day, for being as close to Canada as I am, I don't think I know one single Canadian face to face! Good thing we can all get together here hey?

Cheers!
Living a sheltered life are you haha, just kidding.
I've met thousands of Americans in my life and you know what ? You guys are no different then us Canadians....only some of us on both sides like to make up that we are different:)

Saturday and Sunday were total fire ban days.
I was asked to go on standby with the Strike Team stationed in the next town for the day. There were 19 volunteer fire-fighters, 6 trucks, a helicopter, and two SES...that's in addition to the regular local volunteer brigades compliment of five trucks and probably about 8 people we could muster in an emergency.

Nothing happened...so we went to the rec ground for a look-see at the helicopter and got a briefing on working around it and their command and control stuff. Couldn't resist getting a picture taken, what else do you do on a 'hurry up and wait' day? :)

Attachments

• IMAG0296.jpg
    IMAG0296.jpg
    325.9 KB · Views: 50
Back