How'd it go today?

Boring and tough, but good smelling day bucking final firewood logs, and hauling the backyard Fir up to the front. Andy's motto: "Grunt and bear it."
unnamed-15.jpg

Monday:D

Attachments

• tmp_20110-IMG_20150801_1223566191657277202.jpg
    tmp_20110-IMG_20150801_1223566191657277202.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 43
  • tmp_20110-IMG_20150801_122438494-646496377.jpg
    tmp_20110-IMG_20150801_122438494-646496377.jpg
    166.4 KB · Views: 43
  • tmp_20110-IMG_20150801_122329921_HDR-40171163.jpg
    tmp_20110-IMG_20150801_122329921_HDR-40171163.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 43
26d1247df7fdb2c96470ba6ea7fded98.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really enjoy it here, you'd have to burn the sunriverditch down to get me to leave! Course I would try to put the fire out!

DMC/ Dave, it is hard to say how it will turn out. We have been lucky that we did not overspend on machinery the last couple of years. Four dollar wheat is just insane right now. Input costs and land rents are way too high for that price. I doubt that you will see bread drop in price though! I hate to sound like a whiner, but to loose money on every acre is depressing.

My dad had a 39 bushel spring wheat average. Ours is 18 bushel. I really believe that the current wheat varieties need more fertilizer than the old ones. Dad used 60 pounds of 18-46-0 or 11-52-0.

We use 120 pounds of 20-17-5-5 and dont cut the bushels that he did. Some of his ground had been in production for 80 years. I even thought about applying another 28 units of liquid. Glad I did not do that!
Some farmers are using upwards of 300 units of nitrogen to raise a crop. The banks have started terming out operating loans for 10 years. A bad sign.

We spend too much money to cut these kinds of crops. Might just be time to plant the rest of the damn thing to grass.

When a lot of farmers put land in CRP the citizens howled. They did not like the fact that they were not buying as much fuel and fertilizer. It sucks being at the bottom of the food chain!

Beef is good this year, like last year, so we have a chance. I try to keep on the sunny side! Sorry for the rant. I really do like it here. Great place to raise a family if nothing else.

Anyway, got the old combine rolling today. Aaaaaaaaand then it broke down! Not major, just the main drive belt. John Deere is open in the morning till noon so I will try to get another, if not we saved the old one we took off several years ago. Its shit, but it might make a few days. I never throw anything away, Dad calls it shopping at home.

I like that, "shopping at home". I do that a lot with stuff I don't know if I'll use, but expect to be able to, in some way or another, and usually do.

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I really enjoy it here, you'd have to burn the sunriverditch down to get me to leave! Course I would try to put the fire out!

DMC/ Dave, it is hard to say how it will turn out. We have been lucky that we did not overspend on machinery the last couple of years. Four dollar wheat is just insane right now. Input costs and land rents are way too high for that price. I doubt that you will see bread drop in price though! I hate to sound like a whiner, but to loose money on every acre is depressing.

My dad had a 39 bushel spring wheat average. Ours is 18 bushel. I really believe that the current wheat varieties need more fertilizer than the old ones. Dad used 60 pounds of 18-46-0 or 11-52-0.

We use 120 pounds of 20-17-5-5 and dont cut the bushels that he did. Some of his ground had been in production for 80 years. I even thought about applying another 28 units of liquid. Glad I did not do that!
Some farmers are using upwards of 300 units of nitrogen to raise a crop. The banks have started terming out operating loans for 10 years. A bad sign.

We spend too much money to cut these kinds of crops. Might just be time to plant the rest of the damn thing to grass.

When a lot of farmers put land in CRP the citizens howled. They did not like the fact that they were not buying as much fuel and fertilizer. It sucks being at the bottom of the food chain!

Beef is good this year, like last year, so we have a chance. I try to keep on the sunny side! Sorry for the rant. I really do like it here. Great place to raise a family if nothing else.

Anyway, got the old combine rolling today. Aaaaaaaaand then it broke down! Not major, just the main drive belt. John Deere is open in the morning till noon so I will try to get another, if not we saved the old one we took off several years ago. Its shit, but it might make a few days. I never throw anything away, Dad calls it shopping at home.

Plant grass and raise grass fed beef that sells for $45 at Whole Foods for a single ribeye.

I like that, "shopping at home". I do that a lot with stuff I don't know if I'll use, but expect to be able to, in some way or another, and usually do.

But then when I do need it, and I know it's around here somewhere, I get frustrated and just go buy another one.

Two weeks later - yep, stumble across whatever it was I couldn't find.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well Jim, if grain farmin' has got you down, you can move to the Northeast and try dairy. We've been making milk below cost of production for decades over here.:lol:

I do the same thing also Jim. Replace worn parts but keep the old ones " just in case". It seems like the longer you keep something the sooner you'll need it after throwing it out.

Had a great day. Only things even remotely called work were watering the garden and reorganizing my climbing and rigging gear from yesterday. Wife and I took the kids to Atwood Lake to go swimming. Felt good to relax for a day

Back