How'd it go today?

God bless repairs! Tracks on Sancho need replacing, chip truck dripping tranny juice out the cooler, chipper breaks need doing, chip truck needs steer tires, my Dodge needs all four tires, a u joint/bearing somewhere I just haven't tracked it down, and drum bearings on the chipper getting funky. Yep that is about it for now, oh well such is the life of a tree man.

Why steel wheel chocks Jed? Rubber or even one sawed out of hardwood is much easier on the tires, when, not if, you run over it again.

Yah I always cut my own wheel chocks out of wood. Figured that out the 1st time my one and only bought pair were left somewhere to never be seen again.

Muffler mod 355T....check
Open up the 150T a tad, service... Check
Start ressurecting a 200T ....in progress :)

Attachments

• tmp_28589-IMG_20150806_1806594841657277202.jpg
    tmp_28589-IMG_20150806_1806594841657277202.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 45
Saw repairs here too after dead wood removal in 5 cedars and picking pears so branches won't break, yea a perfect day with a breeze, nice change. Heli coiled a vibe mount on a old 45 and put a carb in the T435 to find the oiler junk. The HH2 arrived to complete a great day;)

Well, it hurts my feelings to mention it, but John Deere hauled my combine away today. I hate hiring my work done. Bout the only thing I am good at is mechanic work. I just dont have the time to spend 25 hours pulling that engine. Oh, well.

Making good progress on the older combine. I could spend another 3000 in parts but the first 3000 is going to make it sorta field ready. Should be ready to go tomorrow evening.
Then I will be able to get the winter wheat cut and spend some time getting ready for spring wheat. Might take a weekend off in between!

Sure is nice having a hired man. He is an excellent mechanic, having spent almost thirty years in the National Guard as a mechanic. He brings his own tools even. I probably dont pay him enough!

Jim, you're young, 25 hours is only three sleepless nights in a row. I imagine that you thought about it. Good luck with the older machine.

Oh, yes. I actually dont think that it would take me and my help that long. But at least this way I will have both machines going. When it comes to harvest, I feel the "one is none, two is one" rule fits my personality well.

The real sticking point is that the engine is up like 12 feet. My Kobelco goes high enough, but the boom creeps down and is not precise enough to be safe for the job. I wish dad still had his rough terrain crane!

Easy solution, dig a hole with the kobelco, drive the combine into hole, hey presto it's low enough to lift out. ;)

That could work!

Just got back from an ambulance run. The airport in the next town over is closed for a month for resurfacing. We did a flight crew transfer for Mercy Flight. We pick them up at our little airport and then drive them to the hospital 22 miles away. Load the paitent who in this case was a month old boy born at 36 weeks with pneumonia. Load the baby in a warmer and take him, the flight crew and the mother back to our airport and load them in the jet. It was kinda cool. Glad it was not a real bad one.

Off to bed and up in a few hours to work on a bloody wore out combine. Might dig a hole (as suggested above) and bury it. Perhaps it would sprout and a newer combine would grow.

Jim, this may just be me, but you are one of the best additions to the House, ever!
The great part of participating here ( Besides being able to piss Butch off every so often) is the look into the life of people in other parts of the world that it gives.

Your firefighter and farming stories are golden to me.

I just love having that little window into Montana.

Jim, take some advice from the Italians......SCAFFOLDING!!!

My usual joke with my Italian customers is "why didn't the Italians get into space? They ran out of scaffolding"

... I mean shit, Dad sold 4 dollar wheat when Nixon was president! Everyone had new or newer stuff.

That was with fuel under a dollar, fertilizer was 60 bucks a ton and a cultivator shovel was three bucks. A new combine was under 40 thousand.

Now with 4 dollar wheat again fuel is three bucks, fertilizer is 700 dollars a ton and a cultivator shovel is 22 bucks. A new combine is almost 400,000! ...

Real sorry to hear about all your troubles, Jim. I agree with Stig, that you are a great addition to the house and I enjoy reading your posts.

What I quoted above sounds really bleak. So much so that I wonder, is there any incentive at all to stay the course. Hopefully it ends up better when all is done than it sounds.

A local landscape contractor buried his 12 tonne excavator in his yard and reported it as stolen to get the insurance money.

He went to prison for that.

Jim, I agree with DMc and Stig...you are a solid member...sometimes I start to skip a thread or post and then see that you chimed in about it...THEN I have to go look at it...all because of you! Appreciate all your input.

One of Alex's first FF calls was when the Amtrak came through his town; it had called ahead with a cardiac problem. They stopped the train in downtown Austell, Alex and his crew got onboard, did their thing and took the patient to the waiting ambulance. You FF's get into all kinds of stuff...I love it!

Jim, this may just be me, but you are one of the best additions to the House, ever!
The great part of participating here ( Besides being able to piss Butch off every so often) is the look into the life of people in other parts of the world that it gives.

Your firefighter and farming stories are golden to me.

I just love having that little window into Montana.

This.

Post of the Week.

Back