How'd it go today?

Sorry about the bad luck Jim. We just lost a motor on one of our Deere 624J Loaders. Loading it up and shipping to dealer tomorrow to wait on a new motor. On your combine im assuming your talking about the rear main seal on the motor? How much oil, or how fast is it losing the oil?

That sucks Jim. My buddy scattered the engine on his old Gleaner a few years ago the second day of the wheat harvest. He bought a used one. With the size of farms around here it doesn't pay to buy new. What you guys out west call worn out, they run for 10-20 years.

The combine probably had three hours on the oil change. So, it was loosing about a gallon an hour out the rear main seal Denver. Too much. Consumption and loss of about a gallon a day is tolerable when you are busy.

We run some of the oldest combines around here Rich. The 8820 is an 82 model and the 9600 is an 89. Just never had enough margin in the last 20 years to upgrade! I mean shit, Dad sold 4 dollar wheat when Nixon was president! Everyone had new or newer stuff.

That was with fuel under a dollar, fertilizer was 60 bucks a ton and a cultivator shovel was three bucks. A new combine was under 40 thousand.

Now with 4 dollar wheat again fuel is three bucks, fertilizer is 700 dollars a ton and a cultivator shovel is 22 bucks. A new combine is almost 400,000!

The local pharmacist says you would not believe how many big burly farmers are on anti depressants!

Yep a gallon per hr is pretty excessive. For some reason I was guessing that was what you were going to say. I dont know of any black magic fixes for one that bad. Ive never worked on a combine but I can imagine its a major pain to change that seal out.

The shop time is supposed to be 25 hours. My crane does not go high enough and I suppose my excavator could pick the engine but I just dont have the time with the grain being ready to cut. I will spend the time getting my old machine ready.

What happened to your loader Denver?

Are you involved in ag Rich? You seem pretty tuned in.

That's what I was thinking.

I forgot about ObamaCare.

I'm going to be joining the ranks of the otherwise uninsured.

Some days I have a hard time giving a ...

Jim, it seems to be a global thing right now, that farming doesn't pay well.
Approximately 1/3 of all Danish farmers owe their soul to the banks after the financial crisis.
They are, in effect, bancrupt.

The banks are going to let the worst cases go down the drain and try to help those that can be helped.
Gonna see a lot of farms cheaply for sale the next couple of years.

Jim our lift driver hooked off to help a truck driver unstrap a load of logs, and it just died. My guess was it lost an injector. The motor had around 20k hours on it. I had another catastrophe I was working on so I called a mechanic in. He hooked it up to his computer and said the motor was gone. No compression.. You name it. I didn't believe him. But my father Thinks this is the go to guy/dealer to repair the Deere equipment. So a rental is coming this morning and our lift and a ridiculous check is going with it to the dealership. Have I ever said how much I despise the newer Deere equipment !!! It's all junk

Sounds like there are many vehicle problems out there, hope they all get resolved for not a great cost. My ol' S10 has a bit of rot on the driver's side frame. I'm in no position to purchase another vehicle, gonna have to weld on some plates to buy me a couple of years. Only bad in two spots, passenger side frame still has factory paint, great condition, I went up and down the both frames with a chipping hammer, hope I can make it hold out till I get my crap together.

IMG_20150805_102152.jpg

My s-10 frame looks like that too. She now is in retirement doing odd jobs around the house that I used to use a wheel barrel for

Jim I just grew up around farms

Had three more in front of the house to do today. I got em all brushed out and topped, and got one of the sticks down, but I drove over a steel chalk block that a new kid put out and blew my chipper tire. :|:

unnamed-5.jpg unnamed-6.jpg unnamed-7.jpg

That sucks Jim. As I like to tease my JD friends, you'll pay Deerely for that repair. :wall:

Well, I've been punished for teasing JIm. I turned on my sawmill tonight after finally replacing that bad hydraulic hose that broke last winter and an $800 dollar part in the control panel decided to let all the magic smoke out. It blew a fuse, but I doubt it's going to come back to life with just a new fuse.

Back