How'd it go today?

I always get the wife wants to take the shrubs out so I can drop limbs on it and the husband wants to keep the shrubs undamaged. I`ll ask who will be paying for the job, that`s who I will listen to.

I took down a big leaning sweet chestnut (Castanea sativa) at a stately home a few years ago. Right under the tree was a rhododendron which has only been found once in the wild, and only two plants exist in cultivation.....

No pressure!

I once did a big silver maple and never touched a blossoming shrub, just to watch the homeowner ruin it over with his tractor because "it shouldn't have been there"

I've been working on a big job in Apalachicola and have been extremely careful to not create any collateral damage as a good portion of the removals were over houses, barns, and all manner of other stuff. Then yesterday evening as I was leaving I backed into the driveway and ran smack over a sago palm and popped it off at the ground! The homeowner was great and said his wife hated that palm and wanted it gone anyway. We had to leave one 80' pine because of an active great horned owl nest. The owl flew around me as I cut some nearby trees but thankfully never got too aggressive.

I once dead wooded a sugar maple over a 60 year old glass green house. Not in a bucket either. It was hard. The smallest of pieces couldn't just fall. I had to go to each one and cut and toss it. The big ones got ropes but couldn't swing into the tree or other limbs and shatter. After that, shrubs felt so much more forgiving.

Worked on the chipper some more today. Flipped the anvil, got the discharge chute to move freely, fixed lights, and gathered parts to make a new trap door for the bottom roller. Gonna borrow the MIG from work and weld it up next weekend. We've got anywhere from 2 to 10 inches of snow coming tomorrow so I'll be back to plowing again.
I got to ask, am I the only person that greases the pivot points on a chipper chute? Every chipper I've used besides mine, the chute has been a bitch to turn.

Killed a mountainash/ sorbus. Topped about 20 years ago. Two thirds over the house and stairs. Had to make an evasive manuveur when I snap cut a 15- 20 foot top, and it started to tip, when I intended to hand over hand the thing down vertically. Threw it to a hole. Scared the roof something good!

.Found a nice, if somewhat abused, Japanese maple under a thick pile of leaves, deadwood, and stubs. Just had to dig for 45 minutes to find it.

Been there and done that and it SOCKS!

Very nerve wracking!

Ya and she was the first customer to do everything should could not to pay me. Crazy old single spinster with inherited money that has something bad to say about every contractor she ever hired. She did everything she could for two weeks not to pay me. She abandoned cooking food on her stove one day to hide upstairs while I knocked at the door.

Worked on the chipper some more today. Flipped the anvil, got the discharge chute to move freely, fixed lights, and gathered parts to make a new trap door for the bottom roller. Gonna borrow the MIG from work and weld it up next weekend. We've got anywhere from 2 to 10 inches of snow coming tomorrow so I'll be back to plowing again.
I got to ask, am I the only person that greases the pivot points on a chipper chute? Every chipper I've used besides mine, the chute has been a bitch to turn.

I grease mine once in awhile and it surely helps. I find it more effective to get a stick or screw driver and slather it in on that big ring to make sure it gets everywhere.

The most pressure I have ever experienced, was spending a week in the children's cemetery, dismantling large beech trees.
EVERYTHING had to be roped & then the stems lifted with an hiab. Not a job I'd be in a rush to repeat

I don't really have a job that stands out in my memory as being the highest pressure job. I'd have to think it over. I can remember plenty of lousy difficult trees but in terms of highest consequence, nothing sticks out. Maybe I've not done a super high pressure tree in my career? They're all similar in having obstacles and all that under them, but I can't say I ever did a removal over sleeping baby Jesus or anything.

It was grieving parents & family turning up - the graves were covered with ornaments etc & breaking something, upsetting them further would have been horrendous

It means sweet in Latin.

I'll have to correct you on that one.

It means domesticated/cultivated.

I had a couple of years of Latin in school, some of it is still sitting around in a normally unused corner of my brain.

Ya and she was the first customer to do everything should could not to pay me. Crazy old single spinster with inherited money that has something bad to say about every contractor she ever hired. She did everything she could for two weeks not to pay me. She abandoned cooking food on her stove one day to hide upstairs while I knocked at the door.

I'd have hung around until the food caught on fire. Then called the police to do a welfare check on your customer. Concerned citizen and all that.

I guess sleeping in was on my list for today. Weather I liked it or not. But hey a late start is still a start right. And do be scared Dave, its just not s nic tree lol.

Back