How'd it go today?

Today went a little better than yesterday. I've been adding a little supplemental wood heat to the house the last couple of days from my white oak and cherry slab stash. Last night I very carefully cut half a bucket full of slabs. All of them precisely the same length, nice and neat. Got them down to the house and found they were precisely and inch too long for the stove. Dang it! :lol: I cut tonight's slabs a little shorter. Getting ready to start milling all those logs I've been dragging home this winter. Going to be a war zone with piles of slabs, lumber and timbers all over.

Worked most of the day for a grand profit of about $50...got a stone in the windshield on the way to work...$425 to replace, too big to fix, looks like a bullet hit it, perfectly round crack.
Just bought new tyres for the truck two weeks ago too, $965...money going out...

Thats why I look at profits over the weeks and months. Then you tend to get pissed off less. Broke my wind shield as well onmy grapple. rockbounced up and put 2 cracks vertical and horizontal across window.

I just had to wash my motorcycle.
A white wagtail is nesting next to the garage and the male has apparently perched on the handlebars and got a look into the mirror.

There is another male wagtail in there, and he has to be fought viciously.
Apparently, with wagtails, shitting is part of fighting, or maybe it is just from the excitement.
Anyway, the damned bird has crapped all ovet the bike, handlebars are literally covered in birdshit.

So the bike has got a cover over it now, hopefully that'll take care of the problem.

I'm off for an easter overnighter in a big oak with the boys.
Should be fun, if a little chilly.

Another grilling session coming up, up top? I love that picture. Its a story I tell about rec climbing... This crazy Danish vegetarian logger/ arbo that works at castles, strapped a grill in a huge oak during an overnighter. I have never met a vegetarian logger in the PNW, not that I know a ton of loggers, but more than a handful. That makes for a quirky detail in the story.

I took all the paperwork out of my office yesterday. Nothing goes back into there without it going into a proper place. Paperwork and mail have been my nemesis. If everything were either electronic or on paper, it would be easier. The mix of it feels like trying to do some admin work on a pc and some on a mac.

I'm trying to get systems into place for things so that I don't have to mastermind everything, knowing what has/ hasn't worked and how we do things, such as having a bid checklist (don't forget irrigation systems, wires overhead, check the onsite dump spot's cross-slope, etc) with an equipment checklist for the job (bring the 16' orchard ladder and fence tools or digging tools, 4 extra sheets of plywood for protecting windows, etc).

An upcoming concept that I'd like to develop is a form for the customer to fill out before an estimate or consultation, downloadable from my website. A few years back, I told the customer that since I was charging them by the hour for a consult, they would do best to make a map/ use an aerial photo of their property and list their questions and concerns for each tree, if any. They could then take notes right on their copy, or have a numbered list on another page that corresponded to the trees.

I could quickly gather a lot about them as a customer, and the scope of the bid. A pre-qualifier, plus a tool to estimate time necessary for the bid.

My accountant told me yesterday that she thinks that its a good idea, as it give the homeowner a bit of an investment/ ownership of the project, plus its easier if they have to consider what they really want, and verbalize it.

I'm trying to delegate more. Use my accountant to do cash flow management, payables, etc, and I'll get Erik to make the form, because neither can track down a new smog pump or put shocks on the truck or rig removals.

Hey that's my career in a nutshell. The ground is soaked here. Water is sitting on top of the ground. Work on lawns is a real bitch right now. Foot traffic is enough to ruin turf. I quit a job halfway through today and told the HO that the place needed to dry out for a few days or we would both regret if I kept going. Cleaned up the first removal and left. I did however, happen upon a big dead beaver and told the groundie to pull over for a photo shoot.
Back in the day, I NEVER passed up a road killed furbearer in the winter unless he was really squished. Driving by a big coon was like passing up a $20 bill. Otters and bobcats way more. It could get a little messy with the skinning but it helped pay the bills. Picked up and ate several fresh road killed deer too. I was going to ask if you ever ate a beaver Tuck, but thought better of it. Killed a big one on a nuisance complaint a while back and made a stew. It was good stuff. We are drenched here in N. Florida too. Still raining.

Chip truck drizzled antifreeze all over a nice driveway today and my mini started blowing a cloud of smoke and the oil light came on. Today sucked.

How does it run usually? Has it been leaking gas? You might have bad oil(full of gas or water) or more probably a bad crankcase breather. Does the oil smell like gas? I'd change the oil and filter and the oil breather as well, only at different times so you can pinpoint.

You have panthers there as well, right? You around Tallahassee? My bud lived in Shady Grove Eridu area.
We're south of Tallahassee on the gulf. No panthers here, they're in south Fl. Just bears out the wazoo. I saw where someone else got bear caught in central Florida the other day. They are out of control.

I was going to ask if you ever ate a beaver Tuck, but thought better of it.

I read this thread earlier and was thinking about it later having dinner, about the closest I've come too choking. :twisted:

Bunch of bloody heathens around here, thought I'd have a sleep in yesterday. Everyone and his dog was mowing grass, even the jerk a couple of doors down did his and he doesn't even work. Ended up doing mine when they all were having lunch, but a couple got even and started later. I can remember when Good Friday was dead quiet, but things sure have changed.

Cleaned out my truck body as well yesterday and painted the tray floor with Rust Guard today. Hardly a noise anywhere all day, except me cutting up a few firewood logs I hadn't got around to. Guess sleeping in tomorrow won't work now.

We had road killed fallow deer on the grill last night. Bean salad for me.
Nice night in the forest, lots of stars out and geese flying over.
A fine night out with the boys:)

P1000599.JPG P1000505.JPG P1000514.JPG P1000574.JPG

We're south of Tallahassee on the gulf. No panthers here, they're in south Fl. Just bears out the wazoo. I saw where someone else got bear caught in central Florida the other day. They are out of control.

My buddy had a panther around him in Shady Grove. I don't remember any bears but he shot a wild pig walking across his front lawn. Have the bears become more plentiful since 2002? That is the last time we were there.

Started my pick-up truck wooden bed slide. Hopefully room up top for the Arbor Trolley and chainsaws below. I'm working within a contractor's canopy with barn doors 49" wide, and a little shorter than the cab of the truck.

Back