How'd it go today?

I'm doing a bid for a small city here with a park containing 100 + large oak trees that they want put on a 3 year contract with the first third to be the ones with the most exposure to the public.

Good luck on that bid stehansen, I'm out to climb a 110 footer 4 trees total, top 3 short 50 footers from the one.

Thanks, my landscaper buddy says that he has tried to get contracts for that town's parks and he thinks that they already have a contractor for the trees and they just need another bid that they will reject and give the tree job to the guy they already have. We'll see.

Brushed out this pine today, only two limbs over HWY 1. 19th ave.

We/I had to Zipline almost everything out over some ivy to the road to be chipped.
Had to throw ball and body thrust past ivy, I was not removing ivy off of a removal.

I took some real big pieces, maybe 2200 at the biggest.
I broke 3 of those cmi red slings before I started doubling them up.

It's hard work getting out to put those slings in the sweet spot of balance.

I had a ball, work is like a proving ground to me.:)

The pics might as well have been b/w.

I was sketched a little bit, a big limb sheared off the bole and left a nice cavity about half way up.
Not to mention side forces of putting those whole limbs on at once, The tree was swaying for sure.

I really wasn't in the mood for this tree but, I pulled myself together.

I watched alot of people staring back at me from traffic stopped cars.

That's one nasty old Monterey Pine. It would've made me nervous just thinking about one of those dead limbs overhead snap out with all the shaking going on.

How you breaking those web slings anyway? I know their big limbs, but....

How you breaking those web slings anyway? I know their big limbs, but....

I don't know, it was completely unintentional.
Basically I rigged the limbs to fly like superman, one sling 1/3 out and another 2/3 out. Then a drop cut or a little face.

As soon as all the weight of the limb hit the speedline a couple slings just kept going down.

I have some ideas on how to improve the next time.:)

Just got back from helping to setup the ITCC trees. I'm whupped but it was a good day. Back at it again tomorrow!

This was actually yesterday... I murdered prolly one of the biggest Hemlock's I have ever cut. It was 35" at the stump... prolly 160'. Made a nice "whump" when it hit the ground. Root rot and the center of the spar was rotten. Not much holding wood. On a small side hill covered with stinging nettles. I hate nettles:X .

When I was makin' my face cut it was like a waterfall when I hit the middle of the stump. Had to haul all the wood and slash up a 40' hill near the entrance to the property... the only access. I was all by myself. My winch on my truck got one helluva workout. There is still more wood to haul out. I will get to that on Monday. Homeowner is in no hurry to get it out of there. I got home last night at 9:30pm... took a shower, ate a sandwich, drank a beer, and hit the rack. However it was nice to get back into the wood again.:)

I gave the old Jonsereds 70E it's maiden voyage yesterday in that wood too... she cut great. Loud old mo-fo. I love to make the old saws work. But I mostly used my 044 and a 32" bar for the job.

Gary

First thing this morning I met with another young climber friend who is getting his chit together. I sold him an old 200T so he'd have a decent climbing saw, then sent him to do a climbing job for another landscaper I work with. He made good money today working for the landscaper so his saw is paid for and he's a happy camper.

Then I went and did 3 removals on two different properties. 2 decent size oaks, one in the power lines and the other was all over a house. The third tree was an easy 60' stick with 6 limbs that was too dead to climb. I had a leisurely day and was home by 3:30.
:)

Here's some pics of Steve dumping the wood.

It was my tree but I thought he could use some practice, he's running a
marathon on Sunday, What a trooper.:)

Poor guy had the hardest time, my climbline had been in the tree hanging for two days,
let's just say it was as stiff as a pine board with sap.

Everything had a back lean towards the freeway, so we used a 5:1 fiddle block set.

Kinda went crazy with the pictures. I need a huge flash.

I had a leisurely day and was home by 3:30.
:)

I have read alot of post's lately from you that say this. I have made a HUGE effort to reduce stress this year by not being a workaholic.

By not working until dark everynight, It seem's I have been able to maintain a backlog (even though we are not as busy as we were last year) and all in all its been easier to just run 1 crew as opposed to 2 like I have been for years.

It has made me happier and alot more likeable(according to the Mrs.)

Here's some pics of Steve dumping the wood.

It was my tree but I thought he could use some practice, he's running a
marathon on Sunday, What a trooper.:)

Poor guy had the hardest time, my climbline had been in the tree hanging for two days,
let's just say it was as stiff as a pine board with sap.

Everything had a back lean towards the freeway, so we used a 5:1 fiddle block set.

Kinda went crazy with the pictures. I need a huge flash.

Poison Ivy/Oak and english ivy? ooooooooh!

Thankfully I'm pretty immune to Poison oak.

Poison oak, English ivy, Cape ivy, German ivy, nesturtium and probably some wild cucumber are everywhere.

The whole interior of the historical forest stands are swamped in ivys.

Back