How'd it go today?

For that matter I've never seen a whole pecan either .

Trimmed a pecan today and found a couple of nuts. Most of ours around here dont have much of a crop this yr, a late freeze or somthing. this is with the outer husk. in a month or so, it will split and the nut will fall. Pecans are nasty trees w/ all the crap they drop. We take out a lot every year because people are tired of the mess they make.

Attachments

• pecan2.jpg
    pecan2.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 33
  • pecan1.jpg
    pecan1.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 33
Looks like I might be losing my groundman after almost a year of working together. Looks like he's getting divorced and gonna ride his bike to Tijuana, or at least San Diego.

Too Bad all around.

He was a good house/ pet sitter, too.

If only they made a remote control mini-skid that could land pieces that I self-lower.

Wonder who will be next.

Getting into a three day push of personal jobs after 3.5 days of Parks work.

We are going to take down two 100'-ish Doug-firs in the school bus parking lot. Some lost limbs in the past. Bus roofs are spendy to fix. One fir has a co-dominant upper 1/3. Laminated root rot in the vicinity. One tree within a few feet died a few years back. These look okay, LRR-wise, without investigating more than a visual. The stumps may tell a different tale. Should have some nice butt logs for the mill, and some firewood logs.

Good to hear you are steady busy Brian. I have begun my annual fall call out to regular clients, to suggest and schedule cleanups and pruning work. with my 2.5 days of regular maintenance work its not too hard to fill the other two days and still get weekends off to goof around with my kid. Another month or 6 weeks and it wil be slow as molasses around here with a viciously cold winter predicted, I need to fill the coffers while I can.

We are officially booking into 2012 now. Drove 5 hours round trip today to look at a nice lil 10K+ job, I am the only one bidding it, so I am hopeful that we will get it. Booked our condo in Kauai for 4 weeks, now have to decide if we are gonna stay on Kauai or go to another island for the rest of the time.

I will just take the standard days off. Christmas yada yada... There will be storm days I will have off over the winter. Then it will be pound them out through spring to catch up before vacation... It's a cycle :lol:

It gets damn cold up here in Jan and Feb, so when I have the means I like to get away from this barren winter wonderland. Plus I have a general foreman and an office manager on salary to take care of things when I am gone.

Just the two of us here now.. So I really can't leave it to anyone to see to it. Katy has bowed out as well save for the occasional desire to do a tree with me. You escape the cold and we run from the heat, or at least take a break from it. :)
Winter I get to play pyro, big fire helps keep ya warm ;)

Today was fairly mundane, until I got this article from a newsletter, its written by two boys that were on the walk I lead a few weeks ago. :) Sorry for the weird pagination etc, it was ripped from a PDF

"Young Naturalists Club
Explorer Day in Sept, 2011

“Don’t Bark up the Wrong tree”
On September 25, we went for a tree walk on the Riverview hospital
grounds with Paul Buikema. It was really great to get outdoors and
have a walk, even though there was a wind warning and the sky looked
like it would rain any time. The bad weather held off until we finished
our walk and then it got really windy.
There are lots of amazing trees on the Riverview hospital grounds.
We’ll tell you about a few that Paul showed us.
First we looked at a dead tree. In most places, it would be removed
for fear that it would fall on your house or car but lots of plants and
animals can use a dead tree, so it’s good if you can just leave it
there. This dead tree had lots of woodpecker holes in it, because the
woodpecker can find bugs to eat under the bark. There was also a hard
kind of fungus that looked like a shelf. It is called artists conk and if you
find it on your tree it’s a sign it’s in distress. We saw another fungus,
too, called a turkey tail, and it really looked like one. There was a large
tree with big leaves which were fuzzy on one side. The tree grows very
fast because it was only about twenty years old and we all fit under it.
The seeds are big and heavy so the tree depends on animals to spread
the seeds in their poop. It is called a paulownia tree. Some of the trees’ leaves have started to change colour. Green
leaves have chlorophyll in them, which uses the nutrients the tree
gets from the ground and the sun and the rain and the air to make
food for the tree. In the fall, the leaves lose the chlorophyll so then the
other colours that are in the leaf show. The maple leaves we saw were
purple. Paul told us that the plant “food” you see in stores isn’t really
food; the plant makes its own food.
The lawn is really nice at Riverview. It’s very smooth and green.
But if you look closely, you see it’s not just one kind of grass. There
are English daisies and yarrow and clover and even dandelions. The
gardeners at Riverview keep everything mowed but the variety of
plants is better for the environment. You don’t need to use weed killer
to get rid of plants like yarrow because they’re just as nice as the grass
you might have in your yard.
There was a circle of big trees with low branches almost touching
the ground where you could have a picnic on a nice day. They are
called catalpa trees and their seeds are like long beans. The schoolyard
where William goes has catalpa trees. The flowers smell nice in spring.
We saw a pine tree with male and female pinecones on the same
tree. The tree depends on insects moving pollen from the male
seed to the female seed to produce more trees. Our favourite tree was the snake bark maple. Its leaves didn’t look
like regular maple leaves and the bark was very smooth and looked
just like a green snake’s skin. The seeds were exactly like a regular
maple tree’s seeds and flew like a helicopter. Paul said if you were
thinking about planting a Japanese maple, you should think about this
one instead because it’s a nice tree and not as common.
That was the last tree we saw on our walk. Just as we were saying
goodbye the wind started blowing and all sorts of things blew off the
trees as we ran to our cars.

Anthony (12) and William (9) Taylor"

It's been very pleasant weather .In the low 70's nice for working .I got all the ash logs up on cribbing so they don't get ground moisture .Probabley all told around 1500 -1800 bd ft .Today I'll end seal the logs with driveway sealer which works better than paint or anchor seal . You just cut a cookie off the end before you saw the logs so as not to streak the lumber with tar .

Nice story Paul.8)

I'm glad everyone's is busy, things have picked up for me as well the last few months.

Cleaned up 27 small pines for a clients mother today, big house. She's Greek and he's a school headmaster, just retired and born here. She's 80's and cant speak English.:roll:

I ripped my trousers open somehow, and the neighbor where we were doing removals yelled at me to get off his property when I stepped about an inch on it. Otherwise it was a really cool work day.

Squish, let us know what you think about if you ever get non-busy... haha...just a joke....cool you and Willie are booked up.

I'm not sure I would know how to function, if I weren't being pestered by someone about how quick I was going to get to their job site. Swamped is a great thing. Just have to remember to take a down day every few weeks and do pm.

Neighbors were watching me from their back yard today and ended up coming by the job site. Large cedar TD no equipment access over two roofs. We have to move all the wood and brush from the rear yard 60 feet down a narrow side yard through two gates. Maybe 4-5 feet wide ..... Either that or a really big crane...:/: Soooooo I'll just keep the crane money :D Crane would completely block the street.

We took the day off today since Dad wanted to go up to TreeStuff before we went to Louisville for the KYTCC. Had a good trip up, walked out with 200' of Samson Vortex, a line that isn't for sale until TCIA. Helped Luke unload it, asked him about it, he didn't even have a price for it yet, so I got it at $1 a foot, a little high but not too bad.

Went through gear check without a hitch for the most part, looking forward too tomorrow. Work climb is supposedly a massive tree, 75' to the tip, so that will be fun. It's my groups first station also, so that'll be interesting!

Back