How'd it go today?

Sometimes I wonder, Jay. :/:

Ger, these are wire drawing lines with an integral winder. The existing electronics comprise a panel full of knobs and switches, and the cabinets are full of large control relays to carry out the logic. Each machine draws about 30 amps of 115vac just to power all the controls; the new electronics will use 2 amps to do the same thing. With machines that run 24/7, that's a lot of saved kW hours. Environmental win.

Speaking of COBOL, I took a FORTRAN-4 class in 69. big piles of punch cards and one little error could take forever to find. Boy are computers nicer now and smaller than the IBM 1040.

I know a little bit about what Erik is working with. Mine friend with the stone cutting equipment uses PLCs all the time. To run one of his stone saws, you would either need one of these cabinets full of relays and related widgets, or a PLC the size of a grilled cheese sandwich. Not much in them now, just some wires, a transformer, and a VFD or two.

dsc01696.jpg

Truly, Dave; I could replace that whole panel full of switches with one little touch-screen a little bigger than a pack of smokes. :thumbup:

Yeah, but I think he got those cabinets for scrap price, what's a touch screen, an easy grand? Just getting rid of all the relays and being able to program the limits is a major improvement. I've got a short video of it, but haven't been able to get it up on YouTube. My new phone pops them right up though, so I'll have to get another of it running.

Nope; The IDEC in my pic is just $300.

The Siemens stuff will set you back a bit; the TP177A, about 4" x 5" monochrome, is $1400. And it works of course only with a Siemens PLC. The IDEC touch-screens work with just about anybody's PLC.

I hear ya; I'm on a roll with the programming, and hate to stop while I'm making great headway.

Not anymore... the missus just came in and advised it's past my bedtime. :lol:

Time to go snuggle.

Nite!

I washed the car today, first time in a month. Heck, I even washed the pickup since I still had soapy water in the bucket.

IMG_1940.jpg

IMG_1941.jpg

found my first chanterelle of the season this afternoon. ill have to check all my spots from last year. seems early. nice wheels btw sqwerl.

Sexy car man, very sexy.

First real day off in a long time. Competition went well yesterday, had a blast!!! Had my best Aerial Rescue yet, work climb had some cool swings in it. Missed some locks in the Footlock event, so not my best time, but I'm getting there! Overall, a great time, met some great people and met up with some old friends also.

Back