How'd it go today?

Wrecked out a good sized White Pine and 5 smaller ones this morning. 4 freaking loads of chips, a lot more than I thought. I have a few hours left hauling the wood still another day. Came home sharpened some saws, then decided to buy two more.

Scheduled a crane for next Wednesday for my businesses first crane job. Just a small 28 ton, and a small leaning Red Maple. No biggy, should be fun though.

I did a couple of jobs in nearby cottage country today. The first job I removed a couple of medium-large spruce. One was dead from infestation of spruce bud worm then was finished off with a new driveway . The other its top broke off and speared a hole through the cottage's roof, when I got that tree on the ground I found what caused the top to break off as the first picture shows.
The last picture I tried a photo shoot of the 372XP and 272XP but the lighting wasn't right.

Attachments

• SDC10697.JPG
    SDC10697.JPG
    418.3 KB · Views: 46
  • SDC10700.JPG
    SDC10700.JPG
    267.6 KB · Views: 46
did this little removal yesterday. girdling roots did it in. the nursery here is really bad about letting their stock get rootbound. made a video out of it just for fun.
<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTGIoa27Dwg?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UTGIoa27Dwg?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

your customer's nursery must buy thier trees from the same guy my local nursery does. I see those pistache fall over all the time from the same thing.

Cool vid and music too

... I had to steer it with the brakes because the front wheels kept coming off the ground .

I love it, sadly, a disappearing skill. I try to tell some of my younger acquaintances about using the tractor to plow snow off the parking lot and letting the latch pin on the brake pedals out. Some easy sliding there. That and the sharp turns in the growing field, lol, lock one side and chew up the other to get round in a hurry.

If you guys like Ash, you would probably really like Chestnut too. Similar appearing grain wise, and Chestnut takes on a very warm color as it ages. The two woods work similar and stability wise, both being open grained, though Ash can get quite hard. I don't imagine you see much Chestnut material out in the states or Canada?

American chestnut is rare as a hens tooth .Most of what you find is salvaged material reclaimed from old barns .They fetch a good amount of money for it .

On that ash flooring ,I met a gent from about 30 miles from here .Before the EAB thing he had bandsawn enough ash to do a 2500 sg ft house and had it kiln dried .He had a thickness planer and a big 3 phase powered jointer . I corresponded with him and told him how to make a rotary converter to run 3 phase on single so he could tongue and groove all that flooring .

Now that guy farmed,was a mechaincal engineer plus built that house .Didn't have a lazy bone in his body ..Had 50 acres of the nicest 24 inch ash I've ever seen .Just like mine,straight as an arrow and 80 to 100 feet tall .I'd imagine they are dead now.

That and the sharp turns in the growing field, lol, lock one side and chew up the other to get round in a hurry.
Ha I used to mow alfalfa with an old John Deere 70 gasser that had a 3 inch stainless steel straight stack . Cutting hay is not much of a load on the engine .However when you lock up one brake the governer of that beast would kick in and blow fire about two feet out of the stack and the noise would about deafen you .That old duffer was 324 cubic inch and when it fired you got half of that ,loud,mercy me .

That old bone shaker was 471 cubic inches .6 1/8 by 8 .I was incorrect about the 70 it was 61/8 by 7 or 412 cu inch .The largest ever built was the model D using 63/4 by 7 a tad over 500 cubic inch .

Speaking of which,what's an almond look like in the rough ? All I've ever seen is either in the shell or just the nut .Does it have a hull like a walnut or hickory nut ? For that matter I've never seen a whole pecan either .

We've got the black walnuts and of course the hickorys but nothing of real commercial value .Tasty yes but almost impossible to harvest with any rate of speed that I'm aware of other than a ball peen hammer or a vise .

It has a hull that is good for livestock feed, and it splits open when the nut is mature. It then has a shell, not as hard as a walnut shell and somewhat porous. They vary quite a bit by variety as to how hard they are, and how tightly sealed they are. The hull split picture here isn't too bad.

edit: I booked more work today than I have in the last 4 months.

I'm still booked a week out with no break in sight (I won't schedule more than a week in advance). Today I got the go ahead on two more personal jobs and I have no idea when I'll be able to get to them. My big landscaper client has turned into my biggest and most enjoyable client. I keep him throttled at only 2 days per week so that I can still retain other clients, and he's been using those two days per week almost every week since May. The best part is that both the owner and the field manager are thrilled with me and have been learning a lot about trees and tree care from me. When I tell them that overpruning will kill trees, they listen. It's such a pleasure having a client that you don't have to fight with to keep from gutting and stripping trees. They also have a kick ass crew that usually works with me handling the cleanup.

I need a couple days off soon to work on some overdue maintenance on the truck and equipment.

Back