How'd it go today?

Good, productive week; then picked up Karen at Baltimore-Washington Airport from her trip to California and got home at 3:00am.
After lunch drove Karen up to Wilmington, Delaware, blindfolded until she was sitting in front of a 1972 Baldwin M Grand Piano.
It will soon be rebuilt, refinished, and delivered to our living room. Concerts to follow...
Karens_Grand2.jpg

Nice looking piece; it doesn't seem like it needs much attention to get back to brand-new shape.

Piano restoration can cost a pretty penny, we just did the action, bridal straps and hammers in our upright grand and that was almost 1k.

If I could be young again I'd learn to tickle the ivories....probably want to play jazz. Good luck with the project, Karen looks pleased, and love in dem eyes.

Hey Erik, this cherry was between the large Oak and a smaller maple I believe is what it was. Dad wanted to be certain we could put it between the two. Mainly he wanted to avoid the smaller maple.

Ranger, I bet Erik is going to remind you that pull ropes don't affect felling direction once the tree is commited to the lay...the hinge alone does that.

Or in this case, doesn't :D.

Learn from your mistakes is the point, if you don't know why, you don't know enough
:thumbup:

Dropped two little oaks, cut the bottom out of a dead maple, and trimmed two pines. new guys I worked with did really well and think I'll end up using my buddy's kid as a groundsman on other jobs I get until he gets busier. the kid did a really good job and was very attentive. :)

Picked up another job for bigger $ later and then picked up another one after a conversation w/a fourth party.

All in all it was a very good day. would have been a bit nicer to start at daybreak rather than at noon in this record heat :roll:, but that's the way the cookie crumbled...

Ranger, I bet Erik is going to remind you that pull ropes don't affect felling direction once the tree is commited to the lay...the hinge alone does that.

Or in this case, doesn't :D.

Depends on where the rope is directed. If I absolutely HAD to make one direction, and the hinge wood was iffy, I'd have two ropes in play- each 90 degrees to the lay. If I think the wood is sound, I almost never use a pull line on a head leaner.

helped to inventory the trees at a new clients property. also installed two swings at same. some quite impressive coast live oaks (57" and 65" dbh). will be back soon to start wrecking acacias and endweighting the oaks. should be fun. have a dead lombardy poplar to remove tomorrow. well see how dead it is. there are some trees nearby to tie into tho.

Bad hinge wood was the cause. The tree was in worse shape than we though. We knew it was bad, which is why we had the pull rope in it, but we didn't think it was that bad. Both Dad and I judged it to be sound enough to fell it easily between the trees. Luckily everyone had an escape route, and no one was hurt and the oak just shook it off like it was nothing.

Cool :thumbup: I like getting deals :D
Indeed, the ESS goggles and sunglasses are rated to stop a shotgun blast at 35 feet away, apparently exceeding the ANSI of our usual safety eyewear. I picked up a couple pairs of the desert goggles for about $20 a pair, each with a clear and a smoke dark lens a few weeks back,

Depends on where the rope is directed. If I absolutely HAD to make one direction, and the hinge wood was iffy, I'd have two ropes in play- each 90 degrees to the lay. If I think the wood is sound, I almost never use a pull line on a head leaner.

Fair enough, but I don't call that arrangement a pull rope :).

I put a line or cable on them if I'm unsure of them plus some power .Those in the past I did not I later regretted .Embarrising if nothing else .

Just got back from hauling a small load of firewood to my wifes cousin .A Ranger holds about 1 face cord or 1/3 of a cord .I also took my electric powered hydraulic splitter for him to use .Does fine ,not extremely fast but sure beats swinging an axe .

Power went out so have spent the last hour starting the generator & stringing extension cords to the two houses. Hooked up my Mom's oxygen and room air conditioner at her place, fan, fridge & internet here. Have water stored at both places so no hurry to hook up pumps yet. If it lasts very long I'll probably buy another cord to hook up her fridge.

Man it got hot fast with no fan.

Steep slope, poison oak, buggered leaning trees, poison oak up in trees, stage in burn piles, hot day.........
5 hours was all I could tolerate. Go back next week and repeat.
Working more on my new computer. Windows updates are not very co-operative. Crashed the system and I had to start all over again last night. Some more updating and I should be pretty close to both OS done and start transferring my storage data files onto a new drive that is on its way :D Probably have 3TB drives installed when I am done ...

Back