How'd it go today?

Thank you guys. Its not the newest and best to be had in the business but its what i can afford to upgrade to at my age so to me its a real novelty. Im feeling a real sense of gratitude and good fortune these days. last year wa a horrible year in business. I had to work as a logger for a company for peanuts. I dont know why, but this year has been a banner year. my 5th year in business and things couldnt be going better. I feel very blessed and after last year, I have a much deeper appreciation for good years.

Great truck, Chris. I'm sure it will serve you well for many years. I agree that this has been a banner year for some people/markets. I've locked in with two excellent clients who fill up four days per week on my schedule so it doesn't take much to fill my schedule from that point. Been my best year ever, after such a horrible start.

My internet service has been down all day. I'm currently sitting in Denny's using their free wifi on my laptop and waiting on some questionable food. I'm spoiled by my desktop and my cozy office.

Worked a day at the condo's today, one of two days.

We raised pines to breast height all day, so they can mow underneath. Boring as hell, but not body wrenching, so I have enough energy to go riding tonight.

Took down a very dry, long-dead Norway Maple, and deadwooded a cherry and another maple all over a parking area.
The other crew had the big job and the chipper today.
I don't mind hand-loading the dump trailer, but the 100,000 splintered remanants of the top of the dry Norway was annoying.

Nightmare todyay. Trimmed ornamentals for a wealthy old widow who nit picked me and micro managed the whole time. Ill never work for her again. Thought the day was through until i got a call for a big old ash that co-doms at 10 feet up. That co dom split down to ground last night. I took all my effort and prayer to get myself in that thing and get it on the ground. Just a lousy day. That ash left me rattled.

A little stiff this AM .Carried a bunch of softner salt for my mother to her basement .In addition bored in a 3.5 foot deep hole and poured concrete for a step railing support .My knee is kind of sore from lugging 80 pound bags of not only the salt but the Quick-crete .I did manage to work on a couple of saws though ,much easier on the bod .

You can buy 40's -45 whatever but most times it's 80 pound . I think regular Portland cement is still about 100 pounds give or take . Whatever it is after a few sacks it all gets heavy .Funny though even 40 years ago it was heavy ,hasn't gotten better with the passage of time either .

I just got through scaling that white oak .Depending on how you figure it around 13-1500 BDF more or less . 27 " skinny end ,a tad over 42 of straight log .Some loss and obviously stained it might loose 3-400 or more . Looks to have been right around 100 standing alive .Just a guess ,I'm not a lumber man .

Dang though ,that one was slow grower ,tight rings ,damned shame to slice it up .:(

Mill it into boards for trailer decks or something other than firewood just my $.02. If it is nice and tight grained it should last a long time. Or cribbing maybe.

I'll con him out of it before it's over with .He has a few more trees to fell and he gets a little nervous about that .Hell it doesn't make me any diff as long as I got a clear shot to land them .

Just about a half hour ago they sent the log truck and loaded up the good logs and down the road they went .That mill is only about 5 miles away .

Resumed a poison oak clearing and tree thinning job.. I go back again next week. Lucky if I can get 5 hours in on that damn slope. Rob and I cleared a hole in the brush for staging all the PO and brush. Pulled 6 hours and got stung twice by wasps. Yellow jackets/meat bees to be be exact. Got hit on the lip and look like I was in a fight. :lol: Got paid came home and I am cooling off prior to making dinner. Katy has the night off so I told her I would make chicken fried steak, country pan gravy an biscuits. :)
Day off tomorrow, gonna need it. 3 more calls for tree work and ladder fuel reduction. Looks like fall ain't gonna slow by much. :/:

New guy pulled a no show, no call. 2nd strike and your outta here. Funny thing is its Friday and I have a check for him and I still haven't heard from him. Guess its time to change lock combos again

Brutally............stupid. Atleast with money coming his way you know he'll show sooner or later, and being it's the weekend probably sooner.

Its too bad really as I liked the kid, he is a hard worker and a decent climber for his experience but such is life. Onward and upward

My sawmill helper was working really well until about last week. He wanted to buy a car to drive to CO this fall. I think his diminished interest coincided with his uncle giving him a Jeep.:roll:

Back