How'd it go today?

Everything about this weather is messed up this year! We are dry as a bone here in the middle of KS! It really sucks as I just tilled up the yard and planted a new yard and get to pay the city dearly for water!
Good luck, stay safe and listen when they tell you to get the hell out of there Bob!
Finished up a foundation repair today, 4' on one side, 1 1/2' on the other. Busted it all out by hand last week, air conditioners in the way, formed it last week and poured it today. Not enough to justify a truck so poured it with ready mix. Didn't do the math right, I figured 6 80# bags, it took 11! Had to haul ass and buy more in the middle of the pour. Then the crap didn't finish out worth a crap! Dry as hell, but still bowed out, didn't want to "cream up" so I could trowel it smooth and kept trying to crack!
I'll have a truck and eat the price difference if I have to do something like this again!
I'm tired, cranky and hurt like hell!

Kinda slow day. Did some recon and knocked down some hazard trees. Tomorrow, we will aim to pull over a rotten maple with the skidder. Should be interesting. I have driven it a little bit in our parking lot, but not seen it in action.

Today was the first day we used the Gehl, kicked some major tail. Treesmith (till ~3), Derrick (till ~11), and I (till ~7)removed 6 pines, 1 oak, 1 cedar, the top of another tree, and got another pine down (in the woods, no cleanup). We increased our record for daily production in regular work by 35% doing work that was priced easily 20% under market value.

Only got two pictures, both of the first load showing the size of the nuggets the Gehl loaded.

5ff922fe.jpg

3406610b.jpg

Yesterday was a real stressed out day.
I had a gazillion things to do before taking off for California.
Richard and I are starting a company together after working as partners with separate companies for 4-5 years.
Shitloads of paperwork and meetings with accountant and bank.
Then as I was heading home from starting up a team of ditch cclearers, I got a call from Ledreborg palace golf, the top golf course in the country, that some jerk had let the line on their big flag-pole run up, without tying it together.
So could I please climb the pole and retrieve that line, so they didn't have to call a bucket truck.

Since we love beating the bucket truck outfits ( Sorry, Brian!) and they are a VERY good costumer, I said that I'd come right away.

Then my truck died on me!
Probably a fault in the injection system, so not too expensive, thanks to whatever God that happens to be in charge of diesels!

So I had to call Richard and send him up the flag-pole.

In the evening I had a karate class to teach, and I must admit that I let all the frustrations of the day out and worked the poor students HARD.
They'll be feeling their bodies for a couple of days, but it calmed me down just fine.:)

Exactly.
Just SRT the thing. Webbing slings are good. Place a biner in the top one for your rope to pass through and tie a throwline to the end that you don't hang from, then you can retrieve it from the ground.

Got to hear the prices from another bid on yesterday's main job. He priced the 3 most involved trees at $1960, we did those and 4 more somewhat easier trees for $2300.

Absolutely. I also knocked out a small job ($400) down the street in the lulls between running to the dump and getting stuff out of their way.

Still at that kind of pricing, I wouldn't mind doing 3 of those jobs a week for say 20-30 weeks out of the year. ;)

Ridicuously windy here today. Knocked out a good sized Hickory this morning, I had one top left and I was a good 5 feet from the top of the tree, boy that wind was nuts! Pucker moment for sure. Finished that by 11 with the help of a John Deere 50, made quick work of moving debri. Went to my house and cleaned up the outside a bit while I had a helper.

Aint that a hoot, Butch? I'm headed out to clean up a bradford pear we cut last Friday. Hopefully it will be delightfully quick with the wheel loader.

Dead pine removals all day today, easy peasy. A lot nicer climbing an 80' tall pine when its 28" dia. vs 16" like all the trees I did in Banff.

Felling a small backleaning pine, I bored the backcut, bored under the strap and set a wedge and then noticed that I had cut most of my hinge up on the far corner! Whoops! It fell well, but you sure don't want to see the stump!

What? Even most cantankerous of folks can't be kind to nature? Besides, I didn't want to have to scrape them out of the skimmer after a heavy dose of pool shock. :D

We used the skidder winch to pull over some tall 30"+ doug-firs that were dead near the county highway. These were face and backcut jobs. The day started with the Ganoderma rotted maple in the 40" range being pulled over with the skidder winch. Had to anchor the skidder to a tree, and I weakened it with a partial back cut. Broke it off and left it in the woods. I was able to be far from the tree for the pull. Kinda fun learning to drive the skidder.

Back