How'd it go today?

Well damn, to much hating in this thread boys?

I did more beaver chewed removals today. Gotta try and take the camera tomorrow, got a beauty. Beaver chewed on the backside and starting to barberchair, leaning wayyyyyy hard over the creek. Binders, and bucket access though so it'll be a cakewalk as long as it stays together.

Put the new (to me) mini to work today. The other one stripped the bushing between crankshaft and pump yesterday. Always something.....

Went out to give an estimate today and got stood up... At least it was near the cheap gas station and I had planned to fill up there. Saved me a few bucks. Still frustrating and then I start second guessing myself on the arrangements.
So went and took care of a good client from there. He has a crew coming in to do some work on his house and wanted the grass cut out from it for snake and fire abatement. Gave us each a 20.00 tip for showing up on short notice. :) Levi came with us and had some fun collecting rocks :lol:
The appreciative client made me feel better about being stood up :)

If you are dealing with aging potential clients, sometimes their forgetting the appointment is par for the course. I've had it happen that the rescheduled appointment was also forgotten. :|:

You have to love living in tornado alley. My daughter lost a house today. She & her family live in Yukon. They kept a previous house in Newcastle and rented it out. The renters are ok but the house is toast.

I've already made money on the guy.. Drop and walk. came out to about $300.00 per hour so I can't complain.
We are supposed to look at this coos bay candidate and talk about some other work he would like done this fall...
Don't know why he wants to "talk" about the pine over the drive way.. Pretty much a no brainer. I guess he wants the casualty list :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0569.jpg
    IMG_0569.jpg
    164.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0568.jpg
    IMG_0568.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0567.jpg
    IMG_0567.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 2
Muggy wet day this morning, just couldn't find the energy to get up and go. Been like that lately, the mist in the air really gets ya down.

On a brighter note, we got to the job this morning and a mama deer was stuck inside the fence. She ended up making it over. Later on in the day we saw the fence banging around, a baby deer was still stuck inside. I went over there and grabbed it, the freaking thing was adorable. Brought it around and set it free, I'm a sucker for animals and it was great to see it waddle away. I hope mama doesn't dis own it, but I did all the good I could.

The sun came out and I somehow found that energy. Ended up going to a sand pit riding, fun as hell. Yee haw!

Finished up a little project of building a wider window sill and valance . White ash with red mahogany stain and satin finish urathane .

I cut this stuff about 6 years ago .The sawyer had hit nails about 15-20 feet up in a log evidently left by some butt hole building a tree stand . Damned if I didn't rip right though one but some how missed it with the thickness planer and router . Miraculously it didn't hurt the carbide Freud blade in my table saw .

Attachments

• Window 004.jpg
    Window 004.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Window 001.jpg
    Window 001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Window 005.jpg
    Window 005.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 41
Carbide blades are really something. Two winters ago we renovated a small house and cut up all the nail filled junk into short pieces. Still using the same blade in the chop saw, and it doesn't seem any the worse for wear, and we've done a lot of other work with it.

During the 70's carbide tipped blades cost like the dickens .Now of days in retrospect they are relatively inexpensive .My Frued blade wasn't cheap but it cuts like you ran it through a planer . Still does even after that damned nail .

Had to Jay, they wouldn't fit in the fireplace if we didn't. What with the front wall of the house removed, it was a little chilly in there in December.:/:

Knocked down almost 60 dead/ dying trees down close-ish to Mount St. Helens.
Two noteworthy things happened today. Neither ground breaking.

First on a dead doug-fir, maybe 12-14" dbh. The tree was somewhat balanced, but looked like it favored the lay between a cabin and fence next to the restroom. The hinge was maybe 1". I don't remember exactly what led up to this mishap. Something happened, maybe a slight breeze caused the tree to set back. I said, "Ah, SH*%!". Opposite the original lay was a lake, into which I didn't want the tree to go.

This is only about the third time I've had a tree set back with no wedge in place.

So I thought... why not just re-cut a kerf in half the width of the backcut, hoping not to get pinched, expecting not to get pinched. I was able to slip a wedge into the re-cut backcut, bang away a bit, and it lifted enough for me to be able to push the tree right to the intended lay.

Second was implementing an Arbormaster technique which Duane taught me for stacking 3 wedges vertically.

We had a backleaning cottonwood tree, almost a spar of a tree, but still alive, a little.

Face the tree as normal. We used a conventional face cut, then bored into the facecut, coming out of the middle of the backcut, cutting a bit of width for some space around the wedge 1.

Next step was to bore in below the first bore cut from the rear, between 1/4" and 1/2" below the first for wedge 2. Then repeat for the third wedge below the second slot.

Successively tap them into the kerfs. Don't collapse one kerf with the adjacent wedge. Get them set.

Cut the back cut up on both sides.

Drive away on the wedges.

The wood between the 3 kerfs breaks free, forming spacers. The bore cuts keep the wedges from being able to move horizontally, and the wood on plastic texture keeps the wedges from spitting back. You can get the lift of 3 wedges on one tree.

Note that having original factory tapered leading edges on your wedges helps, as the kerfs want to close on you if you tap them in too hard, at uneven depths. Wedges that have had the front edge cut accidently, and maybe reshaped, can work, but its just a bit harder.

Interesting post, Sean. I've reworked a number of frigged up wedges to give them a new original like edge. A bandsaw will cut them if you need to do a major taper alteration, but for the edges, a grinder works good. I usually use my bench grinder, but a hand held one should do ok too. You do get some plastic melt fray at the edges and the plastic smells not too friendly, but it gets them back into good shape...for me, until the next time. :|:

Back