Helmet comms

Just to update. Totally hooked. Won't work without them again. No more yelling. Makes for a much more streamlined work day. I'm certain they've already saved in time ten times what they cost. No more yelling. Pull trees are a breeze with this level of communication.

Seriously could have used some today.. Rob could not hear me over the mini and it about cost us some repair on a house and driveway... Damn close calls both times.

A buddy of mine was in the top of a big poplar that he was taking down. He had noticed that the chipper chute was pointed at the house, not the truck but assumed the ground guy would position it before he chipped. He said that to his horror he heard the chipper rev up and the jackass hadnt moved the chute. He started screaming and waving his arms but the guy just kept on merrily chipping. He finally came out of the tree to stop him. The chip had broken a window and he had been chipping INTO the house:cry: That cost his insurance co. $20K as the homeowners jacked the claim and even got 2 new computers and a flatscreen as they said the dust could have messed them up:roll:

He now has comms helmets.

Someday I would think systems like these will be mandatory. Just for the safety aspect alone.

Talking over the next part of the plan comfortably without having to stop working really streamlines things, also its more professional not having people hollering at each other all the time.

Are there any helmet conflict that you know of, Paul?

I am in for a new helmet and some radios. Erik is happy with his helmet. I want a forestry visor. I was without my visor last week as the linkage is shot. First day a scratch on my nose and ear. Thought about the kask, but want more than the visor.

Yup that dude was fired before he left the job site. I had worked with him a couple of times and told my buddy to get rid of him as he was an idiot, however my buddy thought he was a really "nice guy" so kept him till it cost him big

'twas very nice with the comms today, chipper is down currently and we are loading brush with the log trailer into the dump trailer. I was able to tell my guys what to cut and move. All while staying in constant motion loading!

Are there any helmet conflict that you know of, Paul?

I am in for a new helmet and some radios. Erik is happy with his helmet. I want a forestry visor. I was without my visor last week as the linkage is shot. First day a scratch on my nose and ear. Thought about the kask, but want more than the visor.

I've got the Stihl forestry helmet set up and no issues with the screen whatsoever.

I have a forestry screen on my Kask but can honestly say I much prefer the visor.. One day I will change it out but Im a cheap SOB. Problem with the screen is small dust still makes it through, I dont wear glasses so dont appreciate getting dust in my eyes with the screen.

Squish, its kinda funny but we show up to jobs with a lot of gear but it seems like the thing that impresses people the most are the comms systems, I think it really makes us stand out as "professional" to the customers. Funny that we have something like $200k in gear but $300 comms make us "big time"

Yah that is funny. It's the crowning touch.

I found with the Velcro that it was the shitty backing glue and not the Velcro itself that sucked. I glued the backs of the Velcro pads and they've been working fine.

Looking at the Kask visor, I see it covers the cheeks, most of the nose, and the eyes. I wonder how it compares to a screen.

I use a screen on my Kask and like it much better than the visor. I do wear safety glasses all the time and this makes a big difference as I only lower the screen during cutting operations. I find that safety glasses, because they are closer to your face, do not affect clarity of vision as much when they get crap on them compared to the visor that is farther away and allows your eyes to focus on whatever gets stuck on it. Combining the shield with safety glasses gives great full face protection when you need it.

David

Paul,

Have you got some info (pricing, etc.) on the comms and helmets? I assume you sell the helmets with the comms installed?

Or do we send our helmet to you? I am considering getting a set (one for me, one for my son). I am interested in getting the helmet and comms.

What about cleaning the helmet? After a good day of sweat I have been known to take a shower with the helmet to flush out the sweat -- or sometimes put the helmet in the dishwasher for a good wash down.

How do you clean these units?

I looked on your web site for helmet/comm info but don't see anything there.

Thanks.

Gary Im a slacker, sorry. The Kask Plasma helmets with comms system installed are $600 forestry visors are $10 and Kask clear visors are $50. You can remove the cloth lining in these hlemets to wash them.

I use a screen on my Kask and like it much better than the visor. I do wear safety glasses all the time and this makes a big difference as I only lower the screen during cutting operations. I find that safety glasses, because they are closer to your face, do not affect clarity of vision as much when they get crap on them compared to the visor that is farther away and allows your eyes to focus on whatever gets stuck on it. Combining the shield with safety glasses gives great full face protection when you need it.

David

That is the same setup I run with. Screen and glasses is ultimate protection.

If I'm having a hard time seeing something ill motion to flip up a screen even while I'm not wearing one. Screen down is ultimate protection from flying obstacles to the face. I've lost to many sets of front teeth. Also screen up gives you a bit of sun protection on my forestry set up.

Back