Helmet comms

... I'll probably pick up one of the headband models for the crane operator...

This would not only work well for the crane operator but it might work for some of the other crews' members. The SPH10 can be used with or without a helmet. With a ball cap they are comfortable and work great. Under a helmet they are less comfortable but they do work and would be less of a hassle than switching wires and all the other stuff to different helmets all the time. The guys would just have to use earplugs for noise protection. The SENA have plenty of volume to still be heard. They are not as rugged as the built-in helmet units, but still....

David

100_5304.jpg
I just popped off the outside part of the muff. Drilled a small hole and notched the edged out to match the hole. Insert wire and reinstall outside of muff. Pretty easy really!

I did mine the same way with the addition of filing a small groove for the wire, setting the wire in it and taping it in place. I figured that reassessing the wire and covering it with tape will give it some abrasion protection. For mounting the remote mic I first covered the mounting surface with masking tape and then used a small ball of epoxy putty and pressed it into place. I did the same for the main unit as it was not a perfect fit to the contour of the mounting location.

If you look carefully you can just see these in the picture.

David

The first thing I always do is throw those flappy things in the boots away - nothing but sawdust collectors.

Does anyone even know what they are called, or their function?

The tongue protector? It's to protect the boot from the laces. I think? I always toss the leather laces Viberg includes with the boot. They're nice but you can't squeeze a loggers eye into the eye if your life depended on it.

The comm units work better than I'd hoped. Immensely valuable. Communication is dead clear. No issue with the forestry helmet screen whatsoever. I did find the range to be a bit lacking nowhere near the 900m claimed.

I'm sure that's what they're for. Do you have your boots rebuilt? If not I wouldn't be concerned with it. But I've lost a protector before and the laces definitely wore the tongue of the boot were the flappy thing usually sits. Vibergs can be rebuilt once or twice easy If the leather is halfways looked after.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
The false tongue or kilty is an 8" (20 Cm) strip of leather with a serrated edge at the bottom which is held in place by the bootlace as it passes through the bottom eyelets. Whether you use it is up to you. Either you lace it in when you install the laces or you leave it out. Some people swear by them and think they are the epitome of the logger or lineman boot. Others think they make the boots look like golf shoes. That said, you won't see many loggers in the northwest forests of the US wearing their boots without them.
False tongues were originally intended to provide padding between the bootlaces and the instep of the foot in logger boots. This was necessary in boots which used thin leather for the tongue and also protected the tongue from wear by the laces. Wesco uses thick, supple leather in the fully gusseted tongue, so the false tongue is not as necessary. It is a traditional complement to the boots

I've never had that happen.

The Wescos Bonner wears, that I gave him, were rebuilt once. Initial cost, 300 bucks. Rebuild, 250.

Nick gave me 30 bucks for them.

@ Squisher

$50, it was $30 then $20, and I was broke. You offered to give them to me, and i told you I couldn't afford to give you what they were worth, and that I just bought new redwings... you said they weren't doing you any good and to send what I could.

Sorry you seem slighted boss.

I'll just add that after a few days use I'm blown away by these. A fantastic
product. Really easy to use.

No I havent tried that yet but I could as I have 5 units, never had 5 on a jobsite so never tried it... Cannt see why Sena would say 4 if 5 would work though...

Yah Paul's word is gold. Nothing was overstated. It's amazing how its changing our work. They save mega time.

Back