Heated handles.

I taught loggers how to cuss!

No, the truth is, logging taught me a lot. It added another dimension to my set of skills in the tree business. Not to say I am highly skilled.

I free up in Maine. Started falling when I was 12 years old with a McCollogh Super 2/10 Automaticwith a 16" bar. Cutting balsam fir pulp wood.
I line in Eastern Central Alaska now but lived nearly 30 years on the coast, mostly in Southeast Alaska. . Our ground there was similar to Squishers down on Vancouver Is and the Charlotte's. They have taller timber where he was tho. For Southeast our tallest timber is Sitka spruce and it Macs out at 225-250' for the tallest ones. I'm working on the coast again this summer. I do most summers. But in the Winters I usually log in the Glennallen area.

Bet it was auto corrected. Probably meant grew up in Maine. Where in Maine by the way? I grouse hunt up there?

I'm really sorry. I've been trying to teach this fon how to spell for 6 months.
Tucker is right. Should read ( grew up in Maine ) .
Penobscot county. North of Bangor. . . Gravel roads, dairy and loggin country.

Ya, the Allagash is pretty good country. . Last fall was the first time I was South of Portland Canal in 30 years 4 months. My Mom passed away and I went to her funeral and to spend a week with family. .
Wow, talk about some ideal arborist trees to clamber around in. Rock and sugar maples, oaks, beeches.
Here in Valdez, all there is are Cottonwoods and Sitka Spruce.

Short bars, tiny dogs and half wrap handle bars is a recipe for low production and getting cut.

I

How about rephrasing that sentense to include something like: " In my part of the world and the kind of trees, I cut".

This is an international treeforum, dude.
There are actually other lifeforms out there than West Coast fallers:lol:

Forgot to say: "Hi guys, I'm back from a great vacation":D

The fact is the half wrap handle bars leas to back baring back cuts. . On any piece of wood that is greater in diameter than 3/4 the length of the bar the kick back zone of the bar tip will be contacting the wood. Take a 5 HP or larger powerheads with a short bar and that's a recipe for a major kickback.

Tiny dogs are a little better than useless but not a lot.
A tree is pretty much a tree. You can make the task of falling and bucking them as hard as you want. But, there is a reason West Coast fallers use what they do. Easier, safer, more precise + higher production.

A saw needs to be able to be run correctly from either hand . That's kinda hard to do if there isn't a handle on the right side of the saw.
I've cut on both coasts of North America and have been making stumps since 1973 .
If the short bar way was the best, I would use it.
I've fell plenty of timber in the 24-40+" on the stump size with small saws and short bars. But. It was of necessity not choice. But I've cut many thousands of small diameter trees with 30-42" bars.
I better stop typing before I infuriate too many that read this.

Nah, I don't get infuriated anymore. Just amused.

I do the majority of my cutting in beech. They have a bark that is at most 1/4" thick.

I am also by reulations forced to cut in the bottom of the root flare ( for the simple reason that a veneer beech log will split four ways or more if the flared part isn't there to hold it together)

Most of my stumps are therefore made about 3-4 inches from the ground.

You'd look a fine fool, trying to do that with a wraparound. Remember to bring a showel.

I'm just trying to tell you that the whole world is not America and if things are done different in other places it isn't necessarily becasue the people inhabiting those places are stupider than Americans.

We've pretty much flaggellated this equine corpse as much as it is possible to do in the House, before you added your voice to the chorus. Nothing but a few shred left, that the crows missed;)

Back