Heated handles.

Heated handle encourages you to cut when it's cold out. The more you cut the warmer your hands stay.

CL that is weird. Southern BC here and zero issue getting a heated handle saw. In the Stihls its the arctic kit.

I need to bring a boat load of cash and cruise around BC. Ya'll got some of the best loggin and cuttin stuff. And I could swing by Viberg Boots in Victoria and get fully fitted. Not that my Vibergs don't fit well, they do. But a new pair of 16" top 75 s are about 600$ . That's what I'm going to get next
My 148 s are showing some age after 3 years on this rebuild. I got them in 2006 so they are good boots. But the 75s look really great. Need another pair of 105Ts also.

I thot Stihl quit making the Arctic version? Speaking of the Arctic version Stihls. Believe it or not I've run a 260 Stihl in Prudhoe Bay. And No, it didn't have heated handles. :-( .

All arctics have heated handles as far as I've seen. They definitely still sell them. I've never ran a 260. Chipper saw maybe, but not what id reach for. IMO.

The 260 is a good saw. I've had 3 of them and an 026 . The 346 out preforms it but not by a huge amount. IMO.
A Stihl dealer in Palmer told me Stihl stopped making them. Arctic versions of all their saws . Maybe he was just trying to sell the saws he had on the shelf.

I know lots of guys run 260s, seems to be a size and weight that fits a niche. My observation after running one for a short time, and working on a couple, is that they are a simple engineered reliable saw, but not very exciting in the power department. I wouldn't debate with someone that likes running one.

A 3 cube saw is a pretty handy saw to have around. . I use my 2150 Jonsred daily. I finally put a floating rim on it and a 24" bar 3/8,50 ga. Full skip chisel. I climb with a 338 Husky, 192 Stihl and this week I'm running a Tanaka 330 that the boss got from Bailey's. Actually I like it better than the 192. . I pretty much can grab anything from the 192- a hopped up 084 . But my littly Jonnyred is just right for lots of what I do.

Daily my truck rolls with 2 200ts a 441 a 460 and a 660. In the shop I have another 15 or so saws as back-ups and the only model different from the ones listed are two 361s and one 201t the rest are doubles triples and quadruples of the starting line-up. No doubt people use little ground saws but I never have.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I tried toting a 460 in the woods one day. Was so soar the next morning. Between the snow, and the size of the trees, a 361 is perfect.

I have one 361, three 460, one 660, two working 200t, and a freshy in the box.

Logging season for me will start soon. My old trusty 361 is due for an upgrade. Boy that thing has cut thousand upon thousands of trees. Gotta give it the thumbs up.

I guess ill replace it with another one, 362 obviously. Wondering if the heated handle is worth the extra expense, or a waste of money? My fingers cant take the cold, or my toes. But we'll worry about the toes later. Looking forward to a more pleasurable time in the woods this go around.

The air temperature in your local area in the winter?

I need to bring a boat load of cash and cruise around BC. Ya'll got some of the best loggin and cuttin stuff. And I could swing by Viberg Boots in Victoria and get fully fitted. Not that my Vibergs don't fit well, they do. But a new pair of 16" top 75 s are about 600$ . That's what I'm going to get next
My 148 s are showing some age after 3 years on this rebuild. I got them in 2006 so they are good boots. But the 75s look really great. Need another pair of 105Ts also.
You will like the 75's for standing in the spurs, I think I shelled out 6 bills shipped to WI, and I love my 346ne it is the best ground-limbing saw I have run.

I tried toting a 460 in the woods one day. Was so soar the next morning. Between the snow, and the size of the trees, a 361 is perfect.

I have one 361, three 460, one 660, two working 200t, and a freshy in the box.

For real? I can honestly say I can pack a 46 all day like nothing.

With the size of what I'm doing I don't need much over 50 CC at the moment. . My 460 is in Tennessee getting juiced up. 372 and 390 Huskies will get sent off also. But I want to get a 390 with heated handles and have the heat wires put on a set of Weber custom full wrap bars and a set of Nate's custom dogs.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
For real? I can honestly say I can pack a 46 all day like nothing.

Ya man, maybe im a light weight. The trees i cut are small, its more of a waste anyways to drag that around.

Most trees are 10-20". Occasionally a bigger one will pop up. Lots of tiny trees to cut too, the forester marks a lot.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 39
I have no doubts you could pack a 46 all day. I prefer a larger saw than most its just how I've always been. If I truly felt it wasn't needed I'd probably run a modded 361 instead of a modded 460. Biggest gains in power to weight ratio are for certain to be noticed with a modded saw.

Ya, a 460 Stihl is a nice light saw. But if it ain't needed, no sense packing it. In that 10-20" size timber a 440 R w/ 30" LW bar is the cats meow. . Have it juiced and with a MaxFlo air filter on it. . Zoom zoom. .
When I was in my 30s I could bushel all day with a 2100 Husky. No prob. But now I match the saw to my needs. Shoot. When I got my first 394 I was impressed at how much snort it had for such a light saw.

I'm not to keen on short bars. Unless they are warranted, like in a tree. . Longer bars tend toward more accurate, easier falling. But. If I'm cutting in the snow. In the Interior. I will run as short a bar as I can get away with. Keeps more oil on the bar and chain parts. .

But, on the coast for production timber falling. I run 36s unless I need longer.
Which I seldom do.

Cmon B lemme on that machine. Or I'll cut you skid.

It's an ancient discussion pertaining to longer bars and accuracy, I think it is portrayed in some early man cave paintings. I guess Stig is on vacation, the resident shorty user, I believe.

Back