Grove AT635E

Besides tiny roads, steep driveways and narrow 7-10 ton capacity bridges that seem over rated.. asphalt would be a fear as well here. Piss on it and it erodes.
You would have to about witch every place you plant a crane here as well. SO many old holes in the ground no one remembers or knows about.

I don't have any cribbing resource material. You don't want unsupported spans in the cribbing, and you want the base to be wider than the height of the stack by a decent margin (twice as wide as it is tall).

Do you know the max load on an outrigger for your crane?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Carl I don't know if it is feasible to have the base of our cribbing be 12' wide if we have the crane jacked up 6'. I have never seen that done.

You had cribbing stacked 6' tall? Don't forget all the forces from the crane pass through the outriggers. You wouldn't wantbto slew yourself off a pedestal.

There is another requirement to spread the outrigger's load over a suitable area for a given ground condition. The Grove RT635C has a max pad load of 47.6k lbs. At 50psi (random example) you would need a 31"x31" area to distribute the load.

You need some large plywood sandwich cribbing boards too, as well as dunnage.

Cribbing is one of those things you can get away with badly a lot of times. But if it goes wrong.... it goes seriously wrong. Carl is absolutely correct about the inertia of slew forces too.

Aw, heck. Never weaken!

Just a flesh wound.

We removed a big chunk of high way once because there is no parking brake on a TS-24 scraper. Forgot to lift the bowl. The state got over it!

When I was quite young my Dad took me to a farm a friend owned. He had an old black guy plowing with a big old John Deere. They later owned an 830 if you know JD's. It was about that size. He was finishing up the last furrow and was lined up perfect with the driveway to exit the field. The guy was so flustered with a big audience he forgot to lift the plow and plowed right across the road. Ooopsey.

You need some large plywood sandwich cribbing boards too, as well as dunnage.

Cribbing is one of those things you can get away with badly a lot of times. But if it goes wrong.... it goes seriously wrong. Carl is absolutely correct about the inertia of slew forces too.

What does sandwich do?

Around here gaps are accepted in cribbing.....similar to Paul's deal. Except no gap from cylinder down. I have cribbed up 12 layers of 6x6 before.......shuttling pants for sure

As long as bottom layers are good, I have no problem with gaps. We always test the wiggle aka slew

I know you boys live where it's flat .

I recommend 4' 6x6 Paul , get you level quick. Don't forget to crib wheels to get past the three layer mark.

What does sandwich do?

Around here gaps are accepted in cribbing.....similar to Paul's deal. Except no gap from cylinder down. I have cribbed up 12 layers of 6x6 before.......shuttling pants for sure

As long as bottom layers are good, I have no problem with gaps. We always test the wiggle aka slew

I know you boys live where it's flat .

I recommend 4' 6x6 Paul , get you level quick. Don't forget to crib wheels to get past the three layer mark.

Not Flat here, we live in the mountains. Gaps in dunnage are ok, but no bridging. Sandwiched ply, covered in sand paint for grip is for the top of the dunnage. For the leg pad to sit on. Most of the cranes now have composite pads made from recycled plastic.

Seems though any gaps are called bridging .....

We lay a double side alturna mat on soft ground....then crib up from there. Are you placing a mat between layers?

I cannt believe you have to crib the wheels to get jacked up! How hard would it have been to have incorporated a few say 10" pipes on the frame with a drop down leg which could be pinned to capture your progress?? Maybe Im missing something but it is a PITA jacking this beast up!

You really only need to crib two 6x6 under wheels to allow more room under low end outrigger. Then you can keep adding one from there...

Or you can do like my buddy dale and extend boom in opposite direction at zero angle to tilt crane. Not recommended but I've seen it done during cribbing nightmare set ups

Also I forgot to mention. Get a soil probe and put it in the truck. Probe ground if there any doubts. Saved my ass last year as we set over a hidden culvert. Could have been ugly.
Helps to locate those mysterious septic tanks to

Yes, ask questions too. My old part time job we set up over a dry well. Outrigger right on top of the concrete cover. You can say we smashed the cover, but I got to live another day.

Yes we lock out the suspension to raise her. There just isn't enough room on that crane to stow all the cribbing needed

Same problem here with the small at crane we use. Small pick upto bring extra

Ed I like that idea other than the fact I wouldn't be able to get as close to stuff...

John, I thought about setting up a truck to carry all the mats and dunage but shit I don't have anywhere enough drivers as it is:|: Maybe a small trailer I could tow behind the crane....

No Bivy, what exactly do you use for a soil probe??

Back