Grove AT635E

Paul, just curious. Why did you opt for a ''regular'' crane vs. a kboom? Up here cranes are regulated MUCH more than knucklebooms.

Bridging (not having the dunnage touching/solid all the way across a layer) is an industry accepted bad juju.

Bridging (not having the dunnage touching/solid all the way across a layer) is an industry accepted bad juju.

I was about to say that... Make sure there is always a stick of cribbing directly under outrigger piston . Ok to gap, but three spread out is best.....not like the two on the bottom

Looks like a awesome unit Paul.

You have any plans to eliminate lmi wire outside boom? The only part of Terry's crane that annoys me....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
John I would love to eliminate it but need to figure out how, might look into trying to figure out how, plenty of cheap range finder options on the market but if somebody else has done it I will go with that.

Carl got any links to guidelines on cribbing? Our crane Op always bridged, just copying what I know...

Hey also look again at the cribbing, I always kept at least 2" of timber directly over the timber below so That is in compression. Seems sound to me but we are learning, need to go take a class for sure

From my perspective on the cribbage as well, pieces stacked next to each other or minimal gap. Sandbags are really good to fill in some gaps on uneven ground, or for reinforcement up against a bank kind of thing. Used frequently by ops that I know. Thick aluminum plates make for a very good base.

When you can get a crane into a desirable location, I find that a job where you have a lot of trees to remove in tight quarters like a woods, where simply falling them would require pulling and likely some hangups, is where having a crane can really shine. Three or four guys plus the op, forty trees or so down in a day and the logs all moved to a clear location, you'll be moving a lot of wood with a great system going. Everyone knows their job and it's like butter. Looks awesome, Paul!

MB trust me it was a steep grade, we didn't do it for fun. You have to have all 4 corners off the rubber, we were amazed how much we had to raise her to get level, even had to go home and get more cribbing...

Today will be interesting as we have to get the crane into the lot itself and back right up to the bjg maples.....

Adjustable suspension. Lower the cranes suspension as low as it goes while still on rubber. Lock it there so that it doesn't have to be cribbed or lifted as high to get the rubber in the air.

What an awesome tool to own. I'm super happy for you Paul. Glad the cutting of your teeth on it is going well.

I was always taught to never bridge cribbing dunnage either. Always have 3 pieces instead of two bridging. I did my crane operators cert about 18 years ago though. I guess its up to you whether you're happy with it.

Funny someone brought up the K Boom question. There is no doubt in my mind that an all terrain boom crane like this is far superior in nearly all respects to a k boom.

I need a crane, just like that Paul, it's inspiring - Good find. I wish I was in a better position to get over there and cut some trees with you and Robbie, someday I'm sure.

My question about the kboom was more about regulations than actual performance. Here in Québec, not sure about the rest of Canada, if you operate a crane of any size you have to have a cert, be part of the union, construction cards, blablabla. You don't have any of that with any size kboom!

Another day in paradise:D I think Im falling in love. I have worked for 10 years with a 17 ton with 70" boom. This thing just blows it away. We were taking what I consider to be some big leads today and they were only like 2500 and we are good for 6600 out to 50' so is not even beginning to be fazed. Had no problem whatsoever getting into the tight lot, I sure hope I can keep this sucker running.

That's great Paul. Not having to push the edge of your capacity reduces the chance of being on the evening news.

Back