Grove AT635E

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
So we are supposed to get a hurricane come through tomorrow, been very wet for a week already .

Decided to get warmed up today with a quick one on the house....

2.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    220.9 KB · Views: 59
Looks like you're working at a big radius there. That would bother me when out like that. I have very little crane experience though. Just seemed the operator was a bit more on edge when stretched out like that.

I was still good for 3100 out that far.

I like to take a look at every cut when Im out that far, since I have no line of sight. Just got to keep a good margin.

We destroyed the yard though, had the insurance co. give us permission to do it!

Good pics!

You have a counterweight on your crane, right? Those tend to allow impressive low boom angles.

Were the alturnamats more so you wouldn't get stuck vs to save the lawn?

Is your rig 4wd?

yes on counterweight. We have 4 wheel but that ground was 100% saturated, as soon as my tires cut through the sod they head for china, mats help with that and do reduce damage. I was amazed coming out of there as that bank is pretty steep and as I came up out and both wheels got on the hill I was something like 15' high since the drivers cab is way further forward than the front axle. I actually freaked that it was going on over backwards :lol:

Damn I love that crane!

We were the only co. in town do that removal

Now I gotta figure up a price for it. What do yaal think is fairish for the insurance co.

First...you and that crane are the real deal! Excellent work.

Pricing...I don't know squat about crane pricing...but since you asked I'd bill at least $4000...tree that big, emergency removal. Since you got it done so quickly they can now tarp it and prevent further water damage from the incoming storm.

A couple of good guesses.

Anything the body shop does for me is double when they submit it to the insurance.

Do you have an hourly rate for everything?

I thought I read once that emergency work should have a 40% increase in pricing.

Paul, just wondering if you got the sandbags to work for you under the outriggers? Hot and heavy crane work here, and those sandbags do come in real handy quite frequently. I should take some pics. Smashed and thrown around, those polyester bags amazingly hold up.

Jay, we have 5 on the crane at all times and utilize them regularly. We fairly often have contract climbers roll through and a couple have been amazed at their simplicity and effectiveness. I realize now that one of my biggest short comings with crane ops was in the setup. The sand bags have helped out a lot in getting a more stable base.

Thanks for the tip!

Cool. I was thinking about you a couple days ago when setting up and got to wondering. With limited space the outrigger just happened to locate over a large root. Sandbags under an aluminium plate and the problem quickly solved. Sandbags, the plate, then a row of 6x6s or 4x4s is a real common arrangement. On flat ground two plates half and half side by side works good, the large single plates aren't so much fun to move around.

I have been really happy with our 1 1/2" 3x3' oak matts. They have a really easy spot on the back of crane and with 2 rope handles are easy to set up with 2 guys and have held up really well

Id love to see some pics of the bags. Do you use them much to deal with steep inclines where the outrigger needs to be setup?

With the boom way extended and pulling weight, the other day I was noticing how much the outriggers move on the 26 ton, flex or some movement at points of attachment, I couldn't tell exactly. Kind of a strange sensation to feel it with your hand. The operator I mainly work with, often will block up midway under the outrigger as well., generally more towards the end where it is closer to the ground. Not a major support, usually just a 4x4 with a shim knocked in that contacts the underside of the outrigger. It adds some support, I guess you could call it a degree of backup as well. Mainly at the front I think it is.

Cory, those bags work real well for any application where you need to level something up, between the ground and whatever you have sitting on top of them beneath the outrigger. As Paul I think was saying, a lot of flexibility in their use. I can't recall seeing them piled up real high, more as fillers.

With the boom way extended and pulling weight, the other day I was noticing how much the outriggers move on the 26 ton, flex or some movement at points of attachment, I couldn't tell exactly. Kind of a strange sensation to feel it with your hand. The operator I mainly work with, often will block up midway under the outrigger as well., generally more towards the end where it is closer to the ground. Not a major support, usually just a 4x4 with a shim knocked in that contacts the underside of the outrigger. It adds some support, I guess you could call it a degree of backup as well. Mainly at the front I think it is.

Why does he do that? Outriggers are reasonably highly engineered. Point loading the boom by placing a support anywhere but the outrigger pad is likely not factored in... kinda like making a pick with the crane's boom resting on a bridge, for example. Sure it adds more support to the boom, but if the boom can't spread the strain as it was engineered, the point loading could cause failure.

Just like some out and down outriggers are only made to be used all the way in, at their designated mid span, and fully out. They have internal structures to spread the load at the points that move when it telescope. Putting the outrigger down outside of those positions can cause the outrigger to fail structurally.

Back