Grove AT635E

Jomo, I have that hook on my knuckle boom and we all hate it! Sure is secure though. Not sure how it is that much of a safety concern as we tie in to a friction saver above the ball

Thanks Mick, I enjoy tree work again!!

The safety concern's for the climber below the hook n rigging in the tree when the rigging on the hook snags in the canopy, upends the ball n hook, applying the weight of the ball onto the hook latch, and bending it outwards to the point of failure, allowing the rigging to free fall down onto the climber and potentially braining him.

I've seen it happen a few times and have to dodge the falling rigging.

That can't happen with the shur loc, even if you bounce the ball weight on the hook in any orientation, all day long.

Jomo

My crane guy has locking hooks all the way. I hadn't considered this concern. Thanks, Jomo. I"ll store that away in the toolbox for other cranes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jomo I have never seen that happen but can see it could be bad. I would think with our system with the com helmets somebody would see this before it happens. Then again maybe I will see about if the Kboom hook would be compatible on the ball as we only ever latch it once or twice per job

Then again maybe I will see about if the Kboom hook would be compatible on the ball as we only ever latch it once or twice per job

Exactly the point Peter, once the rigging's on the hook, it won't come off, unless you take it off. It may be a pita, but it beats the heck out of that rigging coming off accidentally while over your climber. Do as many crane removals as I have and you'll appreciate the peace of mind a shur loc hook provides you.

Jomo

peace of mind = :) I have seen a few bent up spring latches on crane hooks. One crane operator doesn't check the tightness of the nuts on the wedge locking socket that connects the cable to the part that the hook attaches to. I have found them loose three times. It is designed to be self locking from the weight without the nuts, but still....

My new system for leveling up quick, simple and works like a charm....

2.jpg 1.jpg

Did I mention how much I love crane work;)

That's a real cool idea, Paul. Do they have a tendency to twist around or anything when riding up on them?

Todays job, the tiny access road at the end of the driveway was STEEP. Got up it and with the aid of the ramps got leveled up pretty quick. 4 trees from that one setup! On very nasty sycamore that had a very decayed section, picked the whole top out in 1 3500# pick ,

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg

Sweet!

Be interesting to see a vid of a takedown from your perspective in the operator's cab.

Have you fed an entire excurrent tree into your chipper with it yet?

Jomo

Tops like that when working the ground, it's good to be a thinking man, and fun when you get them to roll over. Keep you busy for a minute or two. :lol:

Tomorrows job, almost ready to fall IMO, good sized too

2.jpg

Notice the severed buttress root

Here is my new crane delivery bike
1.jpg

Sweet looking machines.

Did you make a couple of pics to make it safer till tomorrow?

Btw, how do you get the bike on and off the bike carry rack?

Cory, negative on any reduction as I was flying solo.

I have a short ramp I ride the bike up on the ramp

Back