Geckos... American or Euro?

• Thread starter Blinky
  • Start date
  • Replies 71
  • Views 7K
Wow that is a very generous offer, if i win them though im going to give them to blinky because i just got a pair of regular Geckos for Christmas, and he could use them more than me. My lucky number is 11 but im going to guess... 111

In reply to the original question:- I find that the euro gaffs are exceptional for working large stems, however they are poor on narrow stems. Due to there shape it is often impossible to steady your position with either your heel or your toe. I personally used to try & use my lower leg or knee against the stem to compensate, causing some pain and discomfort after a few hours. After switching to the straight gaff this issue was eradicated. I am using the shorter gaffs at the moment but if I was to buy again I would buy the straight long ones. Hope this helps

I have the regular geckos with tree gaffs on them and love them. I was on Buckinghams previously (6 years) and the transition wasn't bad at all. I think the steel in the spikes is a little harder than kleins or buckinghams, or maybe I'm just more careful where I step, at any rate they seem to stay sharp longer. I have no trouble with them on skinny hard stems or crumbly bark big firs. If you never do thick barked trees I would think the pole gaffs would be a good choice.

One thing I found with the regular geckos is that if you dislike the angle that the pad is at, you can easily drill a new upper (or lower) hole in the cap beside the usual one to change the angle that the cap contacts your shin at. It made a world of difference for me, I don't know why someone hasn't made a cap that has this adjustment as a feature.

111One thing I found with the regular geckos is that if you dislike the angle that the pad is at, you can easily drill a new upper (or lower) hole in the cap beside the usual one to change the angle that the cap contacts your shin at. It made a world of difference for me, I don't know why someone hasn't made a cap that has this adjustment as a feature.

That is a great tip, Gord! I have wondered on the lack of an articulating top brace also. A ridged u cup, like the Cadillac pads with a pivot pin in the middle and the strap high and low, would guarantee constant and even shin pressure while maintaining good spur angle. Easy peasey.

Dave

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

and i need to do the book drawing! Been away all weekend.

The number is 347 and our man about the forum, Brian aka, squirrel, is the closest at 340.

Interesting that he was the first guesser and so close at the same time. I have your address, Brian and I'll get those spurs out today.

Happy climbing.

Jerry B

Back