Fishing 2016

So cool Ray, glad you getting out a lot these days, looks like you having a blast!

Ive been hitting the Sierra rivers and using fly pole only so I can get better at it....

SmRMgUD.jpg

a70g6P0.jpg

My groundie Cameron workin the fly pole and getting frustrated...lol...he has not caught one trout with it yet

SBIABgj.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Cool pics Scott and a beautiful rainbow. Looks like Cameron needs to work on his back cast;). I love fly fishing too, used to do a lot in the salt. There's a lot of really fast game fish that are suckers for a streamer or popper and can get into your backing in the blink of and eye. Had plans to set a new 20 lb tippet record on jack crevalle years ago and hooked up on about a thirty pounder that took all my line and backing before I could get the motor cranked. A forty dollar flyline gone in less time than it takes to tell it.

Beautiful Red Snapper, Ray.

An interesting story about Snapper.....The evening before the Japs set out to attack Pearl harbor to begin the war in the Pacific, the high ranking officers were gathered on the command ship with Admiral Yamamoto for a meal of Red Snapper, a fish that is served in the country at a time of great congratulations and to bring luck. The head cook perhaps didn't know it was a gathering of immense importance, or figured that an alternative fish wouldn't much matter, and served Red Sea Bream, a similar looking but completely different fish from the Snapper. Apparently the mistake was noticed, but in the mood of excitement and invincibility, nothing big was made of it. Perhaps a deadly error to not have demanded the snapper instead and waited.

Wow Ray, those Reds are Huge!! HUGE!! We have been back on the water in the last couple of weeks, John has shot a few grouper and a nice hog or two. The last hog was BIG for these waters. What a beautiful fish.

Now, if I could figure out how to get the pictures from his phone on here....

Interesting story Jay, think it is folklore or fact?

True story according to historians, V.

Actually, it may have been the meal before the battle of Midway, not Pearl Harbor. I think i read it in the book on Midway....a real disaster for the Japanese and turning point of the war..

I'd love to see that hog V. I've never caught one on a hook but I know its possible. Great story Jay. If I had've thought to take the soy and wasabi on the boat yesterday I would've had some really fresh snapper, I would've even taken a bite for the Admiral.

It's a fine boat Bob, but it belongs to a friend in Apalachicola. I've got another friend that owns a 21' Sea Pro that we fish out of a lot, what a great boat. We've been many, many miles offshore in it and it's extremely stable, dry and rides very well for a boat that size. I'm down to a couple of 18 footers myself. I make short ventures into the Gulf on nice days but I've found it's a lot less expensive to go offshore with friends and buy them some gas than own a big boat;)

I love my fly fishing & those rivers look like a little slice of heaven Scott. What are you catching on ? Dries ?

Thanks Pete!

Yep, dry flies have been working the best for me...Ive tried some sinking flies but no hook ups yet

The wife and I caught a few fish to feed the folks at the local nursing home. They rarely get a chance to eat any fresh food and seem to really appreciate it. The fun part's over, now comes the cleaning and cooking!
Nursing Home Fish.jpg

A big heart, Ray should take the whole nursing home fishing on his boat.
"We're gonna need a bigger boat".
Jim, my wife has a hair cutting ministry there once a week and she'll take my son's little Chi-Weenie dog once in a while and the residents love her. Some of them are way younger than I am, makes you thankful for what you've got.

Back