First comp tips??

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Alright, I'm starting to flip out a bit. I've decided that if we can make it down to the TN comp on the 24th, then I'm going to compete. I don't think I'll be able to do the foot lock, but if I can, so much the better.

Anyways, looking for any tips that can be had from others that have competed before. I figure if I can get one done and over with, that'll make other comps that much easier. But it's going to be this first one that gets too me the most I think. So any tips for anything is greatly appreciated.

They're all about safety and rules. Make sure you understand all of them before you begin. ANY infraction will get you DQ'd. Focus on form and technique rather than speed for your first few comps. Don't drop anything from aloft without a clear, audible warning to those below and then wait for an "all clear" first. Good luck to you.

Ranger, just do it, get it out the way, you will mess up some stuff but will learn a lot and before you know it you will be a top competitor due too your early starting age. Man I wish I knew about these events when I was younger as I think I could have done OK.Just remember have fun, if it aint fun dont do it, after all your not getting paid;)

I have a friend here who has competed a few times. He didn't finish the footlock his first time. Everyone at the competition will help you and encourage you. Just try to have fun and absorb all there is to learn.

i did one, there will ba a bunch of pro's there for the masters trying to qualify, dont mind them theyre atheletes

do your thing, good form, comfort and style, and learn from it,
find out if theres an ariel rescue event or not,
practise your throwline, work climb with limb walk,
your footlock 40 ft, big prusick helps
the belayed speedclimb is fun, but dont strain anything in the name of speed
ariel rscue ...you need to have done a few to be comfortable with , so practise at work on lunch

have fun and good luck, by the time i got into it, id already blown my knee out twice and i almost pulled it on the belayed speed climb

Have fun, expect to do poorly because you'll zero the footlock if your a Pantin user and probably timeout the AR... good chance you'll timeout the belayed speed too because your score is relative to the fastest time... and Tennessee has some fast boys.

I hate AR, it's more of an acting job than a rescue exercise. Just watch what the other guys do and learn from it. But you can score points if you simply say out loud exactly what you're thinking as you go, "I'm inspecting the work area for hazards like power lines and hanging limbs. I'm walking completely around the tree inspecting the trunk and root crown for decay...blablabla."

Make sure you don't buzz the limb walk in the work climb, it costs a bundle. Don't timeout either.

Go for a low crotch with your first throwline and call for score when the throwline is down and then again when the rope is down. Then go for the highest crotch you think you can hit... do the same thing with the scoring, call the line, then pull the rope and call it. Have two complete throwlines, cubes and ropes, one for each crotch.

Keep your stuff organized and have an easy way to haul it around. Never be late for an event.

Have fun, learn stuff and just be OK with the fact that you're going to get smoked. Like thatreeguy said, there will be athletes there who've competed dozens of times. You'll see some cool moves and techniques no matter how many comps you've been to.

I hope you get a good group, that's another great way to learn stuff and make some friends.

Good luck!

Just go with the intent to have fun and learn something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. I really don't expect to win at all first time around. I'm there to have fun, and get comfortable with it all. I'm really going to buckle down these next 3 weeks and get some good training in, especially on the foot lock. I'll probably go back to Ashland sometime and do the work climb tree. It was a wicked long limb walk, something I need to practice on.

Check before you go to make sure the insurance will let you compete before your 18th birthday. Itwould suck to get hyped up only to find out when you get there that you can't enter.

Just have fun-don't try to hurrry (I know that sounds weird in speed events but "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast".-Despite the contradiction that illustrates a truth about efficiency-deliberate coordinated movement always trumps frenetic activity) Don't try to "prove anything" -the fact that you are there will get you respect and encouragement from other guys and if you are a good sport and don't act stupidly you'll be a winner even if you place last.

I was told by a couple great competitors to just go to as many comps as possible and get all your jitters and messups out of the way. There is quite a difference between your smooth every day work climbing to the clock and crowds at a comp. Can get you nervous real quick.

Just remember that it's all for fun and learning and just climb clean and controlled and don't try to go beyond your abilities and you'll do great. Footlocking everyday is key, by the way.

jp:D

I agree, I used to be a competitive powerlifter up here, one key is focus, block out everything around you except the judges, the tree and you.
I only saw the judges and hopefully, 3 whites :)
the screaming crowd pretty much vanished.
Oh yeah, some tunes on your ipod will help you focus and get pumped. For me??? AC/DC on my old yellow Sony Walkman turned ear-splitting loud ;)

good luck and remember, you and tree... but don't forget the judges, 'cause they are there and will be in your mind too !

I'll second that.
I've never done any treeclimbing competitions, but I know all about first time fear from doing competition fighting in karate, years ago.
Just go out there and do your best. The important thing is to get started, to get over the beginners jitters.
Don't think about winning or losing for the first many times, just enjoy it, and get a feeling for what it is all about.

Good luck Ranger. Check out the 'boots' when the guys are foot-locking. I screwed-up and wore Wescos and the heel was a hassle. Have fun above all.
:)

Tip #1 You should be footlocking EVERYTHING right now.

Tip #2 For the AR put a micro pulley above the dummies friction hitch, and attatch it to yourself with a short sling. This will allow you a free hand as you and the dummy decend (all you have to do is tend your own hitch). Its basic but should get you some points without overcomplicating things too much.

Tip #1 You should be footlocking EVERYTHING right now.

Tip #2 For the AR put a micro pulley above the dummies friction hitch, and attatch it to yourself with a short sling. This will allow you a free hand as you and the dummy decend (all you have to do is tend your own hitch). Its basic but should get you some points without overcomplicating things too much.

Damn straight on both points... but you need to practice the pulley thing if possible. You don't want to be trying to figure that out during the event.

Get to the top in the footlock, even if you timeout, and you'll win the respect of every climber in your group.

the pulley over the hitch thing, works ok...depending on the hitch and cord or rope, practise it,
i had an ar not go well because of the rope and knot binding
i ride the person or dummy down, i work 2 knots, like milking a cow, not nearly as cool and fast but it works.....so practise it and learn how the knots move or youl be fumbling it

Back